XJ to MJ, which parts will work?

Please forgive my question of ignorance but just having gotten my first Jeep, a 1988 2wd, 4.0, 5spd. MJ, and have yet to yearn the differences between models. I have a chance to get a wrecked but driveable '95, 4.0, 5spd, 4wd XJ. Would I be able to swap out the parts to make my MJ 4wd??

also bare in mind that the 95 is a high output motor and thus has differences in wiring and ignition system, plus intake and exhaust.

it will all bolt into your comanche, and run in there...but you can't swap say the HO computer to your 88 (renix) 4.0

tranny will swap, the flexplate won't swap due to ignition differences (flexplate is flywheel), front axle will swap, front driveshaft and 4x4 linkages will swap.

you will, as stated, need only the rear driveshaft, AND to make sure that your front and rear axle gear ratios are the same...or 4wd won't work.

5-speed makes it easier, there's no need to swap the flexplate.

The 88 tranny is a Peugeot BA 10/5. The '95 will be an AX-15, which is a stronger tranny. The 95 will also have an external clutch slave cylinder, which is a HUGE improvement over the combination slave cylinder/release bearing in the '88. Just be sure to use the '88 crank position sensor. It bolts to the bellhousing, so you will have to swap it over when you put the "new" tranny in the vehicle.

Keep in mind that there are "model" differences (like comparing an 88 MJ to an 88 XJ) but there are also "year" difference (ex: Renix-vs-H.O.) and drivetrain differences (ex: 2wd-vs-4wd or 4.0-vs-2.5/2.8). There are tons of subtle (and not so subtle) differences to keep track of.

Again, thanks all. As I said, I am new to Jeeps with this being my first but I am in no way new to turning wrenches. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 11 years and a transit bus technician for the last 10 with a 2 1/2 year stint as a full time airbrush artist in between. And all kinds of toys during that time.

And my reply yo oldjeep about the left driveshaft was a joke, hence the italics and cheers emoticon!!!