AC Compressor Delete Pulley

Does anyone have a recommendation on the pulley and bracket assembly to replace/delete the AC compressor. I'm thinking pretty strongly about replacing my whole AC system over the winter. But I want to be able drive the truck while I'n in the process of gathering up all the new stuff (compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier, expansion valve, hoses, etc.). I may go ahead and install the new evaporator when I pull the old one to be through with the interior work.

Make sure you get the right one. My 87 MJ had a different mount then my 88 both 4.0's. I do have both and pattern it is different both came without a/c. The compressor from 88 90 are the same, then 91 thru 92 the same I don't know if HO and later Renix bolt pattern are the same. however I do know the 87 had different mount then the 88 thru 90

Factory ones are pretty rare, I found one in a junkyard in Hawaii.

Rockauto lists them here:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1991,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1180055,heat+&+air+conditioning,a/c+compressor+bypass+pulley,10329

That's for 91+, didn't search for older.

Another reason why my truck is special......since I have the rare factory bracket on my truck when I bought it new.......and the wife wanted A/C.....

91 delete mount will fit on a 88 block.

The Renix and HO pulley mounting plates are not even close. Look it up. For the 4.0:

87-90, 53002904, BRACKET, Idler Pulley Mounting - w/o Air Conditioning

91-93, 53006551, BRACKET, Idler Pulley Mounting - w/o Air Conditioning

91 delete mount will fit on a 88 block.

The Renix and HO pulley mounting plates are not even close. Look it up. For the 4.0:

87-90, 53002904, BRACKET, Idler Pulley Mounting - w/o Air Conditioning

91-93, 53006551, BRACKET, Idler Pulley Mounting - w/o Air Conditioning

when I swapped engines from my factory 91 block I was able to swap it onto my replacement 88 block...

• 5 months later...

My renix MJ came from factory without AC so it has stock delete bracket. I also have a renix XJ that I swapped in stock delete bracket from AC, since AC did not work.

Since easier to find, you could swap a HO bracket and AC delete bracket.

• 2 years later...

I had (maybe still have) a delete pulley in my parts pile, I think...it's all down in my shed.  I can take a look for it tomorrow and if I find it you can have it for the cost of shipping.  Short of actually finding one, though, you could just leave your compressor bolted up for now, just pull the electrical connector (and relay) so you don't accidentally engage it.  Or you can grab a spare one from the junkyard for a few $$$ and bolt it in (if you want to take yours off for a rebuild).

• 1 year later...