86 2.5l 2wd restoration/work truck

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yessir boss man knew exactly which one it was and literally reached into a huge pile of all different style clutch forks and pulled that one. out. 

The plastic tip for the slave cylinder on mine was worn down pretty good so i ordered this one hoping its the correct one. https://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-16919-23-Clutch-Slave-Plastic/dp/B000FQ07K2

Again all the parts sites seem to skip over the fact that the 86 has a differnt clutch set up and has nothing of this sort listed. I had to cross referenct the part from a 4cyl cj with a t4 which uses the same clutch setup as our 86 trucks.

• 1 month later...

Ok ive got the trans in qnd bolted up with tcase. I went to install the driveshafts (i pulled them from a 89 longbed 4wd mj so they are the right length) i noticed the rear driveshaft yoke had a keyway in it and it will not fit in my tcase. Is this something i overlooked? Is it because my t case is from a 6cyl? Inalready swapped the input shaft. I guess ill look for the correct driveshaft yoke at work on saturday.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 1:31 AM, strictlyxjs said:

(i pulled them from a 89 longbed 4wd mj so they are the right length)

that's not quite enough info to be sure it all works.  were the engines the same?  were the transmissions the same? 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been getting more and more confident with this little truck. It runs so well. Ive been taking it on longer and longer drives away from my house. Took.it for a 5 hour round trip last sunday and it did phenomenal. 

Some things ive noticed

A. The 2.5 renix is slow HOWEVER it is not as bad as everyone says. I don't normally drive fast anyway, but it does just fine going 70 down the highway with the 3.55 gearing and 30 inch tires. Adding the 5th overdrive gear when swapping to the ax5 over the ax4 has helped keep the rpms down and its actually pretty enjoyable to drive.

B. It actually gets pretty good milage. Again the 3.55s with overdrive help alot but ive calculated about 24 miles per gallon on my last trip on the highway. Way better than my 5.0 coyote f150.20220807_180215.jpg.c1052456b08a45cf8e097083197b5b4b.jpg

As i get ready to put this thing away for winter I'm starting to gather pieces to start reproducing the "filler" pieces for the oem hidden winch.

20221016_193837.jpg.58e654ee16777843f69c61e53f6d68ff.jpg

29 minutes ago, strictlyxjs said:

B. It actually gets pretty good milage. Again the 3.55s with overdrive help alot but ive calculated about 24 miles per gallon on my last trip on the highway. Way better than my 5.0 coyote f150

That’s an impressive number. I ran my MJ (4.0, 5 speed, 4.10s on 31s) across WI and got 20 mpg running 75 most of the way. They are surprisingly economical on the highway. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ordered new valve cover gasket, alternator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower rad hoses. Painted a buch of stuff while it was out with high heat engine enamel from oreillys while it was out. I'm keeping my brass rad because its very clean and made way better than any crap they sell today. Prepping the jeep to be able to sit in traffic this coming summer. Plan on doing the fortunato rally this year. Would love to do hot rod power tour.

20230102_191213.jpg

20220808_181557.jpg

15 minutes ago, strictlyxjs said:

I'm keeping my brass rad because its very clean and made way better than any crap they sell today

The only radiator that I have seen that is exact factory is the crown one to my genuine surprise. I bought one on a slight gamble and I got the exact radiator that was made back in the day for the 2.5L. I am awaiting to put it in next weekend.

Ill have to check it out...i don't trust anything new anymore a few months ago we got two bad radiators right out of the box from advance auto parts for a customers 03 grand cherokee they weeped around the seams where the plastic tanks are crimped. @eaglescout526 Out of curiousity do you guys have radiator repair shops out west? They used to be a common thing around here but they have gone the way of the cobbler. Now you can only find them for like big trucks/equipment... its to bad id rather have a repaired old school brass than the crap they sell at the big box auto parts stores.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

The only radiator that I have seen that is exact factory is the crown one to my genuine surprise. I bought one on a slight gamble and I got the exact radiator that was made back in the day for the 2.5L. I am awaiting to put it in next weekend.

57 minutes ago, strictlyxjs said:

Ill have to check it out...i don't trust anything new anymore a few months ago we got two bad radiators right out of the box from advance auto parts for a customers 03 grand cherokee they weeped around the seams where the plastic tanks are crimped. @eaglescout526 Out of curiousity do you guys have radiator repair shops out west? They used to be a common thing around here but they have gone the way of the cobbler. Now you can only find them for like big trucks/equipment... its to bad id rather have a repaired old school brass than the crap they sell at the big box auto parts stores.

Very worst case scenario, the common 87 up Spectra brand(if I recall correctly) that I ordered from Rock auto dirt cheap for $55 total shipped before COVID worked just fine with minor mods. I had to notch about a blade width by 1/4" depth out of the inner passenger side pinch seam rail by the battery. I also makeshift a new bracket and bushing I found at Lowe's for the lower mount. That I think was more due to mine being gone or completely thrashed. The cut wasn't on spot weld that needed made. I used some channel locks to get a bit more bend on either side for a hair more clearance. Nobody would be non the wiser unless it was pointed out it was done in the long run being that minor a mod and the location of how the unit frame naturally runs unevenly on that pinch anyhow. 

3 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

Very worst case scenario, the common 87 up Spectra brand(if I recall correctly) that I ordered from Rock auto dirt cheap

Was this one made entirely out of metal? I think strictlys issue as is mine is that these companies get away with making a plastic upper and lower tank for an aluminum radiator all the while not attempting to look factory. 

19 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Was this one made entirely out of metal? I think strictlys issue as is mine is that these companies get away with making a plastic upper and lower tank for an aluminum radiator all the while not attempting to look factory. 

Definitely not. The one I got was just like the 4.0 ones but for 55 bucks delivered, it blew the alternatives out of the water at the time. I've only had one cheaper plastic 4.0 fail on any of my heeps over the years. It was after about 6 years of abuse and hundred thousand miles on the Spectra brand.  I've not run the other types though and can't speak for them. Spectra was made in Canada back when I was familiar with their products and shipped directly through Old Dominion Freight where I worked the docks in long haul. I was always impressed with how much product they moved, how well it was packed, and never saw anything damaged as it rolled through the Indy docks to the box stores. I'm not sure if the box stores stock the better Spectra brands anymore. Last time I tried at the zone for one for my 92 4.0, they weren't, and I wasn't paying the absurd amount they wanted for the cheaper China version either. I used to buy lots of stuff on the RSS feed on the cheap through Rock Auto for better built after market close out brand stuff when OEM salvage or new weren't easy or cheap options.

• 6 months later...
On 7/14/2023 at 3:21 AM, strictlyxjs said:

Not much to update other than enjoying car show season. This morning I went to go get coffee and the truck wouldn't go into gear. I checked the clutch master and it's total empty. I'll have to investigate this weekend. 

20230709_123118.jpg

That's looking mighty fine right there. :brows:

Good luck with the repair.