Archer Bros' truck still for sale

Pete M

A museum?!?!  C'mon man...... that truck needs to be driven and shown out and about.  Hell, put it back on the track a time or two!

I would drive the tires off that truck.

Hey Neohic....... since you are apparently an Archer brother from another mother......  :D ....... maybe you should let Tommy know his former truck is for sale...... He might not even know it's out there.  

What all was done to this truck to make it autocross ready? I plan to one day build an autocross MJ. But haven't heard of this one... is it still a 4.0?

All the race trucks where 2.5s.

With the 2.5s were custom spun coils pared with mono fiberglass leaf springs, rear sway bars, and a host of questionable to SCCA spec modifications.

the scca rules forbid anything bigger than the 4bangers, probably to keep things competitive and safer.

Those little 4 bangers packed a punch after they had been "massaged". They had a laundry list of things they'd do with them off the radar to make sure they'd rev like a dirt bike. Most of the time, they wouldn't have much space to really open them up. Some tracks even had an average speed of 70 mph! Were they made up their time was spooling up fast and cornering.

Weight limits too. If you were "X" amount of pounds heavier than the rest of your competitors, you had to pack on a few. Archers got creative with it though putting weight down low to lower the center of gravity and some races they even had a tube in the bed tucked up behind the cab that contained weight that would shift back and forth to better help plant tires in tight corners.

63490_400892523342950_1960740337_n.jpg?o

... and for all those who haven't seen it yet, here's a good little video to get your blood pumping...

I think in a world where we have strokers, the 4.0 is the better starting point. Almost certainly still the 4.0 even at stock displacement. Any idea what kind of power those racing 2.5s made? I'm pretty sure I read that due to SCCA rules they had to use engines below a certain displacement, and that's why they used 4 cylinders.

I wonder if that idea ever crossed the engineers' minds back then. No reason they couldn't put 4.2 guts in a 4.0 block with some bigger injectors back in the '80s.

It could easily have crossed their minds, but high-compression engines were probably a longevity (and reputation) issue they didn't want to have to deal with when the typical consumer may not appreciate the need for premium fuel in what they see as a regular old workhorse.

It could easily have crossed their minds, but high-compression engines were probably a longevity (and reputation) issue they didn't want to have to deal with when the typical consumer may not appreciate the need for premium fuel in what they see as a regular old workhorse.

I never said it would be a good idea for production, but surely they had to think of doing that at some point. A special model with even a mild factory stroker would be seriously hot **** in the early XJ's time though.