Opinions Pros/Cons Bedliner Body

So my paint is pretty horrible on the Comanche and was hoping to hear from people that have bed lined their vehicles? I am aiming toward Monstaliner and doing a medium coat. Their stuff is a little smoother with built in UV protectant. The bed and floors I'm going to hit with Raptor either way. My biggest concern is rust under the liner. If prepped correctly it shouldn't be an issue right? Underside is going to be wire brushed and completely coated with their rust prevention paint. Any opinions would be great thanks!

I've heard a lot of people complain about mud and stuff getting 'dyed' onto the herculiner (don't know about the stuff you're using). They suggest cleaning it A LOT. I personally don't like whole trucks painted with bed liner, but to each their own..

Ive never been a big fan of the herculiner bodies but monstaliner is at least a little closer to paint texture wise. Plus its something I can do in the garage. I don't have the knowledge to spray paint or the compressor for it.

Ive never been a big fan of the herculiner bodies but monstaliner is at least a little closer to paint texture wise. Plus its something I can do in the garage. I don't have the knowledge to spray paint or the compressor for it.

:thumbsup:

I did it once and would never do it again.

Herculiner or just in general? Mind if I ask why if its just in general?

In general.  I did my own MJ, but I've done a couple vehicles since then for people using different products.  The last one was a 91 Toyota pickup.  If you're going to do heinous body work and want it covered, sure, it's the way to go, and with that truck it certainly was the case.  It's just always going to look dirty, unless you pressure wash it all the time, and I just can't stand it.  And if it does rust under it, you won't get any symptoms until it's quite terrible, and then it's really terrible to get it off to do anything about it.

I'd go with a cheap Macco paint job, you do the prep.  At least I'm assuming you can still get a Macco paint job in the US for very little money.  Or I'd just buy a cheap gun and go at it with implement paint (rent a compressor if you need to).  Or find somebody other than Macco that will spray it if you do the prep.  Or even, gasp, Valspar with a roller and add the hardener.

If your paint is intact you could try cutting it and polishing it too.  It would blow you away what some of the products out there can do.

I did it once and would never do it again.

Herculiner or just in general? Mind if I ask why if its just in general?

In general.  I did my own MJ, but I've done a couple vehicles since then for people using different products.  The last one was a 91 Toyota pickup.  If you're going to do heinous body work and want it covered, sure, it's the way to go, and with that truck it certainly was the case.  It's just always going to look dirty, unless you pressure wash it all the time, and I just can't stand it.  And if it does rust under it, you won't get any symptoms until it's quite terrible, and then it's really terrible to get it off to do anything about it.

I'd go with a cheap Macco paint job, you do the prep.  At least I'm assuming you can still get a Macco paint job in the US for very little money.  Or I'd just buy a cheap gun and go at it with implement paint (rent a compressor if you need to).  Or find somebody other than Macco that will spray it if you do the prep.  Or even, gasp, Valspar with a roller and add the hardener.

If your paint is intact you could try cutting it and polishing it too.  It would blow you away what some of the products out there can do.

Understandable. The rust factor is the only thing I was worried about. The bed its not such a big deal since I can pull it and do some preventative stuff to the frame and underside. The cab is another story. Water getting into the unibody frame is going to happen and getting some of the inside panels with POR 15 or whatever isn't going to be possible. The longer I have this thing the more original I want to keep it with the exception of gearing, MT springs and a 8.25 rear end. Maybe I'll just get some quotes for paint and hope for the best.

If you're worried about the inside of your rockers, you could drill an access hole at the front of them (inside the wheel well where it won't be seen, put a plug in it later) and I believe there is already a couple plugged holes from inside the cab, or you could add some from below, and then use this product:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

There may be BETTER versions of that product out there, but that was the one that came to mind.

Side note for those interested...  :smart:

The herculiner in my bed started fading after about 2 months...

I ran into this too. I did the inside of  the box along with the rockers up to the lower belt line. I just kind of accepted it until this year... just couldn't take it anymore. I recently put some new tires on and after mounting they had some goofy spots on them. Figured a can of tire shine would help. Tried a little along the rockers too. Now the Herculiner looks like new!

Hahahaha noooooo plasti dip for this guy. If I can find the original decals I'll probably just get it painted back to stock and have the decals put on professionally. If not who knows. Bed liner isn't out of the question but I'm definitely leaning more toward an out of garage paint job.