New Leaf Spring Issue

Hello all,

I ordered some deavers a few months ago, ten pack with military wrap, and a whole inch of lift. Now that I finally picked them up, and put them in, I'm sitting on what looks like a ten inch lift (roughly two inches from shackles). I will include pictures. The suspension is not tightened down at all, and flexes just fine when i jump on it, so I don't feel like it is binding at all. Its so high to the point where I can't even bolt my shocks down. Is it really going to settle seven inches back to my ride height of about 3 inches?

74n0QWpm.jpg

CbSaBjbm.jpg

Thanks,

Francesco

Also, I realize my shackle angle is almost vertical, but remember that this is what seven inches of down travel would make my shackle angle look like if I were at the correct height, not what it should look like at ride height. 

What is wrong about the shackles? I am running SUA. with my stock leafs these shackles fave me no problems what so ever. These springs were meant to give me a 1" lift, so if you imagine them flattening and moving up 7 inches, my shackle angle would be vastly improved. At this height, this would be farther than my shocks would allow the suspension to move down, and thus a poor shackle angle

I don't think it matters for the shackle angle on a Comanche...

But your not going to drop lift so easy on brand new springs...it'll be a couple years until you lose some lift...unless you use your rig has a work truck loading 300-500 pounds daily..

If I remember correctly some guys have had really bad experience with the revolver shackles you currently have on your rig...but quickest way to lose some lift is through your shackles and keep you original shackles on...

So it's normal for ONE inch lift springs to give you SEVEN inches of lift?? I'm not running revolver shackles, just an extended shackle. I can't run stock shackles with deavers, I need a longer one and these work for my needs.

Well my front is 3" with coils, and it had a slight take still, so it seems that should be 3" roughly. I don't think stock leaves sagged seven inches. This is a bit extreme. I can't even bolt on my shocks. This is sitting at least 5" too high before settling I'd think. You don't get driveline vibes at 3", and shocks should be able to bolt in.

Well my front is 3" with coils, and it had a slight take still, so it seems that should be 3" roughly. I don't think stock leaves sagged seven inches. This is a bit extreme. I can't even bolt on my shocks. This is sitting at least 5" too high before settling I'd think. You don't get driveline vibes at 3", and shocks should be able to bolt in.

Factor the springs sagging from 20 + years , the longer shackles ( how much longer? ) and that the new leaves are an inch of lift and they need to settle as well , It seems possible . I don't claim to be a lift expert but I had a similar experience ,

My 3/2 MT rear springs gave me 3+ lift without changing anything else .

My shackles give me a 2" lift, and my springs give me a 8 right now, after measuring. there is no possible way a 3" lift sits like this. I think I was given incorrect springs. A spring would settle an inch or so not seven!!! The leaves at RIDE height are longer than they should be at FULL droop, there is definitely an issue here.

When I called General Springs to order new rear springs, they told me there wore 3 or 4 different spring part numbers from Chrysler. Differences included number of leafs in the pack, and loaded height.  Well I can't recall all the details he told me, I seem to recall ~3" between them. Then factor if you bought them with added lift.

You may want to call General Springs, the guy I talked to had some real good knowledge.  

Chrysler has "X" number of Comanche spring part numbers. Each with a select amount of difference on lift and number of leafs. Deaver is a great spring maker, but I'm sure they based the spring they built for you off Chrysler spec's. If Deaver selected the "tallest" chrysler spec, then added ~4" to that, that would net  ~7". 

Maybe removing the stiffest thick leaf will allow it to sit lower. That would also help with flex. 

I moved my battery to the rear, near bumper and mounted my spare far back in bed too. To add weight on the springs, so my Jeep would set level. 

So it's normal for ONE inch lift springs to give you SEVEN inches of lift?? I'm not running revolver shackles, just an extended shackle. I can't run stock shackles with deavers, I need a longer one and these work for my needs.

These were custom made Deaver Springs, specially made for my Comanche for a 1 inch lift.

If Deavers made these springs for an MJ, why can't you use the MJ shackles with them??

Looking at the arch in those springs, there's no way they're only a 1" lift spring.  I'd send them back...

And I'd probably ditch the adjustable length shackles too, but that's up to you.  My gut feeling is the factory shackle is the 'correct' length for even a 3" lift spring.  So maybe go back to normal length shackles and order a 3" lift spring?  Which should have less arch than those springs they sold you...

These were custom made Deaver Springs, specially made for my Comanche for a 1 inch lift. Not an off the shelf part.

There is no way they built the springs to those specifications. Since Deaver is a reputable company, I'd address them with the issue. Bet they make it right.

If it was a 1" lift spring it would not require a longer shackle. Deaver probably has some screws loose if they told you that. Judging by how good of a job they did making these springs, well, they just might...

Keep the shackles if you want, it's not like its going to matter.

To all who for some reason hate my shackle, Deaver springs require a longer shackle because of the amount of arch in most packs. With the stock shackle, it would invert on flex.

I'm going to side with the majority in saying, there had to be a mixup somewhere to where you got the wrong springs.

I had Deaver make my 5" SUA packs and only got an extra 1.5". Was told after use and loads, they would settle to around 5", which they have. No longer shackle was needed at all.

If i was you, i would just call them and send your pics via email to them to back up your claim. If they have any pride or care in their work, I'm sure they will fix this for you.

There must have been a Big Mistake, when they sent you those Springs.

I can understand you wanting the Flex. But with 1" You should not have needed to change the Shackles. 

From your Picture, it looks like you have alot more that 1" of Lift with the Springs.

I would press the Issue you have, find out why you have so much lift.

I am getting a set on new springs, for my 89, from a local shop. 

Metric Tonne set with a possible 2" Lift.

The shop has a Great Reputation, with many companies.

I have asked many questions about the springs I want. 

None of the Springs will require my getting a "Flex Shackle"