The MancheMetal Project

The start:
A 4.0L, 4x4, shortbed, auto MJ.  Took awhile to find, and rot free!  Had some 2" springs on it when I bought it.  

Planned to do a 97+ exterior as many others have done.  Acquired the parts and got to work putting them on.  Also some Truck Lite LED headlights.

Found some ants living in our donor doors, dispatched them.

For the 97+ doors, you need to use the newer style striker and relocate it to close them.  Welded those bad boys on.

This thing is gonna need some new paint too!  Prep:

Almost wanna drink it.  Jeep "Mango Tango" paint, or as Dodge calls it, "Toxic Orange".

IMG_20150701_225015133.jpg

Paint done, 50" Black Knight Lighting LED bar installed!  http://www.blackknightlighting.com/
255/75/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers installed on JK Moab wheels with Spidertrax (http://www.spidertrax.com) adapters to account for bolt pattern change.  Also installed Clayton Off Road short arms, as well as their HD Trackbar system.  http://www.claytonoffroad.com

MangoTangoMJ_HMC.jpg

Next up, was front and rear bumpers from Hanson Off Road.  https://www.hansonoffroad.com/

Untitled-17.jpg

1L7A3740-22.jpg

1L7A3777-35.jpg

Winch is a WARN Zeon 10-S Platinum

1L7A3767-34.jpg

1L7A3633-11.jpg

Went for a little camping trip, thanks ARB for the roof top tent setup!

20151025-1L7A4403.jpg

20151024-1L7A4127.jpg

20151023-1L7A3908.jpg

Untitled-18.jpg

Looking to maybe swap the bench for some leather 04 WJ seats I have next.  Have to put carpet in, fix my speedometer cable issue (need to find one that works/fits...) and get my gas gauge working again, which reads full all the time, and sometimes will fluctuate randomly.  

fix my speedometer cable issue (need to find one that works/fits...)

Part number ATP Y-924

Its $18 on amazon. My speedo bounces at lower speeds but steadies out after i think about 20 mph.

My concern is to my understanding an auto MJ without cruise control needs a much much longer cable, that one lists as 12"...although I just read reviews on Amazon for it and a couple guys said it worked on their non cruise..I think I may give it a try!

Nice MJ, but the toxic orange might cause some ptsd in a few of the member :P

O rly....

Part number ATP Y-924

Its $18 on amazon. My speedo bounces at lower speeds but steadies out after i think about 20 mph.

My concern is to my understanding an auto MJ without cruise control needs a much much longer cable, that one lists as 12"...although I just read reviews on Amazon for it and a couple guys said it worked on their non cruise..I think I may give it a try!

O rly....

The Y-924 one worked for me it was i think 36" the Y-802 one was something like 14" i grabbed it because it matched corresponding part number i found, but the length wasnt right. I read up on the Y-924 one and decided to try it, worked for me. I have an 88 without cruise control.

Awesome job and love the color!

Thanks!

Part number ATP Y-924

O rly....

The Y-924 one worked for me it was i think 36" the Y-802 one was something like 14" i grabbed it because it matched corresponding part number i found, but the length wasnt right. I read up on the Y-924 one and decided to try it, worked for me. I have an 88 without cruise control.

I am going to give it a try, thanks for the help!

Great Truck !!

Great Pics!!

Are you swapping in the newer dash or keeping the original dash? 

Whats the scoop with the duck tape on the rear driver taillight?

Would love to have a new dash in but getting the gauges to work requires an HO motor swap and I am just not ready for that kind of work commitment...

the mounting on the tail light are broken off, i have another fresh one to go in but just havent been able to get the rusted screws out to deal with the current on (screws are rusted in to the body)

Looking to maybe swap the bench for some leather 04 WJ seats I have next.   

http://comancheclub.com/topic/15375-making-zj-or-wj-seats-tilt-forward/

Alot of shelbyluvs threads helped me while I was swapping stuff on my MJ

Would love to have a new dash in but getting the gauges to work requires an HO motor swap and I am just not ready for that kind of work commitment...

the mounting on the tail light are broken off, i have another fresh one to go in but just havent been able to get the rusted screws out to deal with the current on (screws are rusted in to the body)

Understandable on waiting on the dash swap.

A few people have had the stock bench reupholstered with a good outcome.

Sucks about the taillight. Truck still looks great. Nice job.

Hey Will, it's Nick B from Long Island. I'm still very jealous of this thing and the Montauk pics! Glad to see you got that cps situation figured out! Hope to see more updates soon

Hey dude, you are one of the few people in the off road world that I can relate to on the greatness of Montauk no doubt, glad to run into you over here sir!  Some day I still need to do that runway shoot, haha

I'm flying back tomorrow night for a week, I might try to get out there for a day trip. There's no place like it anywhere! I never did hear anything about that runway shoot. I have a couple buddies that aquired some nice cars over the last year or so if you ever need to film some tires being mutilated haha. If you're coming out to Glen Helen I'll have to catch up with you there

I'm flying back tomorrow night for a week, I might try to get out there for a day trip. There's no place like it anywhere! I never did hear anything about that runway shoot. I have a couple buddies that aquired some nice cars over the last year or so if you ever need to film some tires being mutilated haha. If you're coming out to Glen Helen I'll have to catch up with you there

Do it!  We are thinking about heading out for memorial day weekend but are afraid it may be a mad house, and hotel prices are insane of course.  I will see you at Glen Helen no doubt!

• 3 weeks later...