Xj gas tank in mj

Just wondering if anyone has relocated a gas tank in a mj when it would be in a cherokee. Do you have to use a cherokee tank or what because I have a skid plate from my old cherokee that mounts to the rear bumper and would like to use that as the tank skid if I can relocate the tank. It will also help with evening out the weight from front to back

IMHO you're looking at a bad idea. The MJs (even the short beds) have a longer overhang behind the rear axle than the XJ, which increases the exposure of the gas tank to getting whacked. You could, theoretically, hang an XJ tank behind the axle of an MJ, but you would lose the spare tire location, and you would have to custom fabricate hangers. Also, what are you going to do for a fill location?

What brand skid do you have? The factory XJ gas tank skid didn't attach to the bumper, it attaches to the unibody frame rails.

This question comes up several times per year from new Comanche owners.  The O.P. has raised a new issue  with "improving" weight distribution.  I have to ask, Where is your spare tire located?  If it is not in the location you want to put the gas tank, where have you moved it to?   Next, you should look under the bed and measure just how much room you actually have there.  If you have a long bed, you will find a very big X brace in that location that will mean the Cherokee tank has to hang down 8 to 10 inches lower than the spare tire (if not more).  I don't own a short bed, so can not say much about the fit in a short bed - Except to say I don't think anyone here has done it.

If you want to "improve" weight distribution - keep your spare in it's original location and run with no more than 5 gallons of gas in your tank.  Or In my case - loose about 50 lbs off my fat gut.

Haha its a short bed and there is the stock spare there and I don't have the tools to pull it down so as of right now I don't have one but I plan on keeping it in the bed back by the tailgate strapped down. I'm not worried about moving the filler tube I already have an idea for that.I just wanna know if it's possible because if the tank hangs as low as a cherokee tank then my skid will work.

This question comes up several times per year from new Comanche owners.  The O.P. has raised a new issue  with "improving" weight distribution.  I have to ask, Where is your spare tire located?  If it is not in the location you want to put the gas tank, where have you moved it to?   Next, you should look under the bed and measure just how much room you actually have there.  If you have a long bed, you will find a very big X brace in that location that will mean the Cherokee tank has to hang down 8 to 10 inches lower than the spare tire (if not more).  I don't own a short bed, so can not say much about the fit in a short bed - Except to say I don't think anyone here has done it.

If you want to "improve" weight distribution - keep your spare in it's original location and run with no more than 5 gallons of gas in your tank.  Or In my case - loose about 50 lbs off my fat gut.

the short beds have the "X" cross brace also.

I wouldn't be too concerned about "fixing" the weight distribution of a truck. It's designed and fully intended to carry extra weight around in the back. Empty sure, you're looking at around 60/40 f/r. Add some cargo, and you'll shift that down towards a 50/50. If you start out with a 50/50 and end up actually using your truck as a truck, putting weight in the bed just gives you a rear bias, which is definitely less than desirable.

It's also a hell of a lot of work just to reuse a gas-tank-skid that doesn't work. It'll be much easier just to make a new one.

the short beds have the "X" cross brace also.

Yup.  Not quite the same shape.

I don't know if there is space behind it for one or not.

Honestly, the factory put the tank in a pretty reasonable location.

What brand skid do you have? The factory XJ gas tank skid didn't attach to the bumper, it attaches to the unibody frame rails.

...and the frame rails on the truck are farther apart than XJ "frame"rails.

It would seem that there would be plenty of room under the bed.  But there isn't, really.  But anything's possible with time and money.  It'd be easier (and better IMO) to make or buy an MJ skid plate...if just an installed skid plate is what you're after.

...and, there are...or should be threaded mounting holes already under your bed for a stock MJ skid.  So you could use those for reference if you choose to make a skid.

No one has done this, so you're on your own. Most anything is possible, so go ahead and try it.

Oh - and you better get some tools first.  :yes:

I seen it done somewhere on the interwebs but it's been a few years. The filler was in the box floor itself.

Would be cool for a road tripper. Have a selector type switch like the older fords and double the range!

No one has done this, so you're on your own. Most anything is possible, so go ahead and try it.

I seen it done somewhere on the interwebs but it's been a few years. The filler was in the box floor itself.

Would be cool for a road tripper. Have a selector type switch like the older fords and double the range!

Road trip range may sound attractive at first.  But I can tell you a 1200 mile range between refueling stops does not translate into no stops for 1200 miles.  Your bladder will require you to stop every 3 or 400 miles.  My 23.5 gallon tank can last more than 500 miles, if I slow down to just below 60 mph, I get  23+ mpg with my 4.0 and AW4 transmission.  Even without slowing down, I can get 18+ mpg and that translates to more than 400 miles per tank.

Now if you still want to add a second tank, you have 2 options:  1) Relocate the muffler and tailpipe, then put a stock tank on the passenger side.  That has been done by one club member.  2) Put a 19 gallon tank from a Ford F150 pickup in the rear spare tire location.  The Ford tank is only about 8.5 inches high, so will not cost any ground clearance.

Road trip range may sound attractive at first.  But I can tell you a 1200 mile range between refueling stops does not translate into no stops for 1200 miles.  Your bladder will require you to stop every 3 or 400 miles.  My 23.5 gallon tank can last more than 500 miles, if I slow down to just below 60 mph, I get  23+ mpg with my 4.0 and AW4 transmission.  Even without slowing down, I can get 18+ mpg and that translates to more than 400 miles per tank.

Now if you still want to add a second tank, you have 2 options:  1) Relocate the muffler and tailpipe, then put a stock tank on the passenger side.  That has been done by one club member.  2) Put a 19 gallon tank from a Ford F150 pickup in the rear spare tire location.  The Ford tank is only about 8.5 inches high, so will not cost any ground clearance.

I have a aux fuel tank in my tow pig. (50 gallon Transfer Flow) It's nice not to have to stop for fuel every 200 miles.

My Ram is a little more comfortable then a MJ. I think my legs would fall asleep before my bladder becomes a issue driving the MJ long distance.

One other thing consider is weight. Fuel is around 7-8lbs a gallon. No biggy for a 3/4 ton, but weight would add up quick in a 1/4 ton.

If weight distribution is your concern then you are better off leaving the tank in the stock location.  Keeping the weight low and between the axles will provide the best weight distribution.  weight behind the rear axle will act on a different fulcrum point and actually have a greater effect on rear axle weight, and a greater change on that weight as the tank empties.

One other thing consider is weight. Fuel is around 7-8lbs a gallon. No biggy for a 3/4 ton, but weight would add up quick in a 1/4 ton.

1/4 ton?

A standard MJ has a rated payload of over 1400 pounds -- that's a 3/4 ton. The Metric Ton models are rated for a full metric ton, which is 2200 pounds.

1/4 ton?

A standard MJ has a rated payload of over 1400 pounds -- that's a 3/4 ton. The Metric Ton models are rated for a full metric ton, which is 2200 pounds.

Which is more than a lot of 3/4 trucks today....

557733482d1f26d201474cbd590f6c1e.jpgdcfdae451a4893dcfbb4bd32d7941673.jpg

It has been done on a short bed before. I have talked with this guy about it because this is something i was planning to do. He did this with a full 97 swap was about the only real information he could give me.