PROJECT BUDGET MANCHE - Now on 35's!

you know you're technicall supposed to pull both driveshafts or something like that to flat tow one right?

No not true. You can I guess, but it's not necessary.

yes. or have the t-case and transmission in neutral (for SHORT tows).

Once again not true. You put the TC in (N) and leave it in either park or in gear. You unlock the steering column.

Here is what the owners manual says on it (same as I stated above, but just to source my knowledge).

http://greatlakesxj.activeboard.com/ind ... mentPage=4

(1'st post on that page by me)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you tell me when/if your truck slips out of neutral or your t-case locks up that you're not supposed to remove the driveshafts.

man, being SAFE AS POSSIBLE is the way to go. I have probably flat towed as much if not more than you...tatersalad was a flat tow rig, all of my other cars were flat tow rigs. I personally have experienced a t-case lockup with a np207 that had a chain blow and it wasn't fun.

so more for other's safety than my own malcontent, I would remove the driveshafts before flat towing anything. it's simple to do, and doesn't take much time at all to get done.

again, that's personal experience and I'm not bashing you, I'm concerned for yours and everyone else's safety. just like when I said the 12" lift rig with the tractor joints for a trackbar is not safe on the road, it could end up hurting more people and then you'd find yourself in a world of $#!&.

it is nothing personal, just personal experience leads me to take all precautions when it comes to these things...especially when the option is saving what, 10 or 15 minutes?

you tell me when/if your truck slips out of neutral or your t-case locks up that you're not supposed to remove the driveshafts.

man, being SAFE AS POSSIBLE is the way to go. I have probably flat towed as much if not more than you...tatersalad was a flat tow rig, all of my other cars were flat tow rigs. I personally have experienced a t-case lockup with a np207 that had a chain blow and it wasn't fun.

so more for other's safety than my own malcontent, I would remove the driveshafts before flat towing anything. it's simple to do, and doesn't take much time at all to get done.

again, that's personal experience and I'm not bashing you, I'm concerned for yours and everyone else's safety. just like when I said the 12" lift rig with the tractor joints for a trackbar is not safe on the road, it could end up hurting more people and then you'd find yourself in a world of $#!+.

it is nothing personal, just personal experience leads me to take all precautions when it comes to these things...especially when the option is saving what, 10 or 15 minutes?

To each their own. I understand your concern, but if I felt I was going to endanger someone trust me I'd be the 1st to do something. If it was that dangerous I think DC would of put it in thier owners manual to remove the DS before doing so....

I was simply stating that it was not NEEDED to flat tow.

I've towed (flat towed, or tow dolly'd) XJ's/MJ's probably a good 10,000+ miles and have never removed a DS. Never once had a problem either.

100_1137.jpg

100_1141.jpg

ok. well I just hope no problems ensue.

and have fun at the badlands, I'm bailing. no money due to school equals no work on truck equals no going to badlands.

I could still make it with the 3800 but am gonna opt not to do that since I can't offroad it.

Today was spent trying to finish up just a lot of little stuff to get ready to go wheeling next weekend.

Majority of the stuff isn't even worth mentioning. However I did bring the camera along and managed to snap a few pics of a few things.

Started off the day with getting the rear shocks in. You can also see the "JEEP" in black better in this pic.

100_1421.jpg

I than installed and painted the other rear TJ flare.

100_1423.jpg

And lastly, a pic of some new MJ bling.

100_1422.jpg

Got a few small things done today. It's looking like I should easily have it done in time for this coming weekend to wheel.

I got the muffler installed. It sounds MUCH better actually having a muffler on it and I won't be annoyed while on the trail now.

I also got the tunes going in it. I had some truck box speakers from a few years ago I put in. They shound pretty good and now I will have something to listen to while wheeling.

100_1426.jpg

I also finished up the tow bar. We hooked it up to Rebecca's XJ and took it for a spin and it tows very nicely. No weird noises or anything and pulled well at 60mph.

100_1425.jpg

More work to come (though not much left!)

Well I will probably regret posting this info, as it's going to kill the resale value for me...

Since phase 1 is pretty much complete, I thought I'd post my buildup cost. Don't get me wrong their is still more to come with Project Budget Manche in the future, but I'm done enough to enjoy it for awhile as it is. I'll probably start phase 2 this winter which will include an axle swap, lockers, and a winch.

Anyways, here is the rundown of cost thus far including the initial cost of the vehicle.

cost.jpg

The wheels and tires (highlighted in green) I stole from my XJ for the time being. They are less than 6 months old so I factored that into the price as well. At the bottom I excluded them as it was not a immediate cost the last 2 months with this build as I'm going to say I already had them.

I was also able to sell a few things off the MJ that I did not use (31" tires, and a few small misc. items), so I deducted that cost as well for the total.

So grand total thus far is $1271.

any pics of the OTK tierod kit installed or the like would be nice jamminz.gif

I will once I get it installed. I'm still waiting for my TRE's to show up since I ordered some Moog HD one's....

Will have pics up once I get to it, probably won't have it done in time for the trip this weekend though.

Well I took it offroading for the 1st time this past weekend. It performed flawlessly. :D

I was really happy with the way it performed. Just have a few small things I need to tweak and it's going to be a beast on the trail.

GreatLakesXJ.com had it's Summer Wheeling Fest at the Badlands Offroad park in Indiana in where we tested it out for the 1st time.

Here are some photo's from the event.

100_1434.JPG

100_1435.JPG

100_1436.JPG

100_1473.JPG

100_1489.JPG

PICT1474.jpg

Their are about 250 more photos that can be found here: http://greatlakesxj.activeboard.com/ind ... D=13040497

To view the fullsize photo's you'll have to register on GLXJ (it's free).

Their is also a video of this event that can be found here: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/events/Summ ... /Movie.wmv

Well I got a call today from one of my favorite vendors that they had finally got thier 1-ton cross-over steering setup done for the XJ/MJ and available on the market.

So I placed my order. jamminz.gif

$250 plus shipping.

I'll use my flip kit from the other tierod to make it over the knuckle on the drivers side and put the tierod I had ordered for it on Rebecca's XJ as the RE one just isn't cutting it.

Hopefully I'll get it sometime next week and find some time to get it installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of updates lately as I've been busy working on getting the supercharger bolted onto my 4.6L stroker in the XJ.... :brows:

I got the cross-over steering setup in from Motion Offroad. Here is a pic of it. Yes I got yelled at last time for having parts on the carpet, so I covered my a$$ this time...

100_1501.jpg

I'll get around to installing it sometime in the near future.

More updates to come when I find time to work on her....

• 1 month later...

Haven't really had much time to work on the MJ as we're planning a wedding...

However I did get to spend about an hour on it today. I decided to fab up a mount for my hi-lift as I was getting tired of it sliding around the bed and having a hard time keeping it tied down.

I used rear bumper brackets from an XJ. They ended up working well.

100_1601.jpg

100_1602.jpg

Haven't really had much time to work on the MJ as we're planning a wedding...

However I did get to spend about an hour on it today. I decided to fab up a mount for my hi-lift as I was getting tired of it sliding around the bed and having a hard time keeping it tied down.

I used rear bumper brackets from an XJ. They ended up working well.

100_1601.jpg

100_1602.jpg

Great idea jamminz.gif

I have one parts XJ that has a stock rear bumper, I now have a good use for the mounts. :cheers:

Thanks for the idea. :chillin:

jamminz.gif Nice build up thus far. Nice to see really, Working on same set up for mine. Like the paint job. Debateing weather on not have it done at a shop or do it myself, Yours looks good enough for me. Gonna scratch it anyways so why waste money on that and put it in the engine. :nuts: Lookin good man, be sure to show the setup of the longarms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...