PROJECT BUDGET MANCHE - Now on 35's!

Picked up my rear TJ flares today. I ended up getting 1 of them mounted. I can't say I'm impressed with the fitment of the TJ flares on the MJ's rear bodylines. It took a lot of work getting them to fit somewhat decent. End result looks ok, but I wish it wasn't as much of an ordeal to get them on. Not looking forward to doing the other side....

Thats all I really got done today. I plan on starting on the front lift tomorrow.

Sorry left camera at home, here are cell phone shots;

IMAGE_00021.jpg

IMAGE_00022.jpg

IMAGE_00023.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u should definately install front tj flares and install them higher than stock for more clearance and so it matches the rear just my 2 cents.or cut the crap out of both fron and rear...whatever floats your boat bro...either way nice buildup i will definately follow up on it... jamminz.gif

those flares look terrible...you should not have cut the height down at all, and just trimmed it to fit the body lines of the comanche. simple to do, and end result is the bottom mount has to be a small piece of angle iron.

I have a pair of these, and they are goin on the 89 with a set of the front flares and reflectors on the front.

those flares look terrible...you should not have cut the height down at all, and just trimmed it to fit the body lines of the comanche. simple to do, and end result is the bottom mount has to be a small piece of angle iron.

I have a pair of these, and they are goin on the 89 with a set of the front flares and reflectors on the front.

Let see, use metal on the flares, so when (yes I say when cause it will) you hit them on a tree wheeling you don't just rip the flare off, you damage the bed even more. That sounds like a brilliant idea...

Front flares are going to be trimmed to that height as well. So why let it go down further in the front when they will all eventually match?

You do as you please to your rig... Maybe in the future bite your tounge before you say something like that when you have yet to see the finished results. Heck I don't even have the drivers side flare mounted, nor the front flare even painted yet as I have yet to see how much clearance I'm going to need to clear the tires...

Started on the lift for the front today. I do not have all the parts yet, but I decided to get a bit done while I'm waiting on them.

Here is what I had to start with;

100_1376.jpg

What you see is;

Rubicon Express 4.5" Front Coils (new)

Rubicon Express HD Trac Bar (new)

Rubicon Express Bumpstops (new)

Motion Offroad Tierod (new)

Motion Offroad Tierod Flip Kit (new)

Lower Control Arms (used)

Front Shocks (used)

I utilized what I had with the front control arms and front shocks. No need to buy new when you have it laying around..

And the end results of todays work;

100_1377.jpg

100_1378.jpg

100_1379.jpg

I have to install the trac bar yet, but I'm waiting on the HD mount to show up. I havn't installed the tie rod yet either as I need to get some new TRE's first. Parts should be in Tuesday (according to online tracking), so I'll be able to finish up the front and tear into the rear.

Let see, use metal on the flares, so when (yes I say when cause it will) you hit them on a tree wheeling you don't just rip the flare off, you damage the bed even more. That sounds like a brilliant idea...

Front flares are going to be trimmed to that height as well. So why let it go down further in the front when they will all eventually match?

You do as you please to your rig... Maybe in the future bite your tounge before you say something like that when you have yet to see the finished results. Heck I don't even have the drivers side flare mounted, nor the front flare even painted yet as I have yet to see how much clearance I'm going to need to clear the tires...

that was not a personal attack, but an opinion.

I should say that, the flare WOULD crack off of the small 1" chunk of angle iron. I have seen 5 of these swaps done on xj's and that's what they do. that and I can see worrying ALOT about that with a rig that's not dented up already...but if you dent it by hitting a tree, you dent it. *shrug* no biggy.

as for biting my tongue, I don't do that....I say things the way I see them, and respect when others do the same. it makes life simpler when you remove politics. unless when you're pregnant wife asks if she's fat....;)

I DO like the truck, I just would have done things differently...if you look @ my projects you'll see that I'm anal about fit and finish :nuts: , and I also have a biased opinion as that's a swap I'm doing and I already researched it and visualized it a different way...

nice lift btw

that was not a personal attack, but an opinion.

I should say that, the flare WOULD crack off of the small 1" chunk of angle iron. I have seen 5 of these swaps done on xj's and that's what they do. that and I can see worrying ALOT about that with a rig that's not dented up already...but if you dent it by hitting a tree, you dent it. *shrug* no biggy.

as for biting my tongue, I don't do that....I say things the way I see them, and respect when others do the same. it makes life simpler when you remove politics. unless when you're pregnant wife asks if she's fat....;)

I DO like the truck, I just would have done things differently...if you look @ my projects you'll see that I'm anal about fit and finish :nuts: , and I also have a biased opinion as that's a swap I'm doing and I already researched it and visualized it a different way...

nice lift btw

No hard feelings.

The point of this project was to build a rig that I could wheel hard core, not really worry about damage, and do it quick and within a set budget. That being said I'm not being as anal as I am with the build as I have been with my other XJ's and MJ's.

Bed's only temp for this wheeling season. I plan on taking it off over the winter and 4-linking the rear. So I'm not really worried about looks of it to be honest with you. The TJ flares purpose is to simply try to keep the tires covered to help stop some of the mud that we see in the Midwest while wheeling. Sometimes function over looks is better...

If you talk to anyone who knows me, and who's wheeled with me I'm probably one of the most anal people you'd meet. I think my XJ shows just that. A well built rig that I wheel extreamly hard, but still worry about looks. Heck I have over $8g in my motor, and still am worried about how it looks under the hood.

100_1213.jpg

Bed's only temp for this wheeling season. I plan on taking it off over the winter and 4-linking the rear.

What are the plans for the 4 link?

duct tape :D

j/k. I just had to throw that in there, I like duct tape.

nice xj

It looks like you kept the stock lca's on, are you going to swap those?

Good eye.

Yes I have them (as seen in pic above). I had trouble getting the upper bolt out of the LCA (3 broken wrenches). So I put the stock one's back on untill I can get to the shop to use the air tools to get those suckers out.

Got the rear lifted over the past 2 days. I need to get shocks for the rear yet, as I was not sure how much lift the SOA would give me. It sits a bit higher in the rear that I had hoped for. I think I'm going to swap out the factory MJ shackle with something else. I have line on a set of TF revolvers I believe should lower it down a bit more (plus give added flex). I'll probably just get those and swap those in. I need to trim the front yet, so once I do that I should know exactly where I need to be.

Overall the rear SOA went pretty easy once I got everything undone. I should have plenty of room for the 35's.

Left to do on the lift:

- Front Trac Bar w/Brace (been waiting on the HD brace to show up from RE).

- Rear Shocks

- Install Front Over the Knuckle Tierod (need tracbar in first so I can take it to have the flip insert welded in).

Here are some updated pics:

100_1382.jpg

100_1383.jpg

100_1384.jpg

Yea, you NEED at least 6.5" coils up front to keep it level with the spring over out back. Try removing the shortest leaf in the spring pack. I did this, and it my rear flexes awesome and it lowers it a little.

I have a set of 6.5" coils coming with new upper and lower control arms etc....

Will post updates when I can find some more time to work on it...

Got some more parts in over the weekend. My RE trac bar bracket showed up. So now I can get the trac bar in their.

I also decided that I am going to go larger in the front since the rear spring over netted so much lift. So I found some 6.5" front coils and upper and lower control arms for a good price. So I will be putting those in to match the rear lift height.

Plan on working on it some tomorrow, so pics and updates to follow.

Todays Pic - RE brace.

100_1385.jpg

I got the bed pretty much done. Spray on bedliner is finished and I'm pretty happy with the results. Not to bad for $30 worth of stuff to do it...

I also ripped the front bumper off, new bumper should be here anyday.

Here are some updated pics.

100_1391.jpg

100_1392.jpg

100_1393.jpg