Is the armor going to go all the way down to the bottom.of the panel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I haven't decided yet...there are so many angles down at the bottom there.

I'm gonna start with the bedside and flare and go from there. Something else easy I'm going to do is bed rail caps with sliders maybe.

This is just all a possibility, depending on cost, time and how easy everything is.

Were u to have a set that went all the way down to the bottom of the fender u would have a set ordered from me right away. I get its alot of work, but that's where damage is most likely to happen and I'd pay the cost to have it done.

They definitely will not be all one piece. The bottom quarter will be a separate piece like hooligan off-road offers for the cherokees. And they probably won't wrap around the rear all perfect and with a nice radius. Probably be pretty angled and "blocky" but still fit nice and tight as possible. If anybody has any pictures of anything like this, post em.

3e7d050100a25b12996c6d680a320238.jpg

This is basically what I'm going for. Except full length of the bed (possibly a shorter option)

And the rail would be made into the separate piece with the bed rail caps. So "full" bed protection, top to bottom would be 3 pieces (4th piece would be from the wheel forward at the very bottom)

136c3c16be3fdbd9c451503d81733c1d.jpg

**can't remember who's trucks these are but these guys did a good job!

Those are the easier parts. Like I said, the bottom panel is going to be the hardest. And I haven't found a single picture of anyone ever making that piece of armor!

Another thing I have to figure out is how to make it more than just a bolt on piece of steel. Because that won't protect much if you hit hard. It'll just crush the bedside still.

Hooligan off-road offers a frame tie in option for their Cherokee armor down there. Might do something like that.

I feel that lower piece is damned if you do, damned if you don't. would it be sweet? absolutely. would people buy it, yes. but as that gray one shows also, most "hardcore" guys trim off that lower body line anyways, at least mainly behind the wheels which I assume and from what you say is the hardest area to create

I understand if ur going all out. But if ur not a hard wheeler and pick ur lines like I do, then rubbing against a rock would save the primary damage against the fender it's self. I go over some nasty $#!& sometimes, but I don't horse over.

6388417629a52a48a897b5745681eacd.jpg

1c64527bb22b33c45a1718df1cb17b92.jpg

726855845712c2876c4c9fe82a16a6f3.jpg

These are hooligans xj panels...(3/16" steel)

I could do just a 2 bend piece like on the face that's just bolted on

Or something that wraps under and then bolts to the frame like the first picture...

But then it comes down to price... spend money on some covers that might crush and make the bed side worse if it comes to that...or go until you crush that corner anyways then cut it out and throw a bumper with that protection on there...

Hooligan sells these piece (a pair) for $85. I already know that is too low, rift now, for mj sets.... they're twice as long and more angles.

And these wouldn't wrap around the back at all

Also, I'll be working on the tail light armor to work with the bedside armor.

3e7d050100a25b12996c6d680a320238.jpg

This is basically what I'm going for. Except full length of the bed (possibly a shorter option)

And the rail would be made into the separate piece with the bed rail caps. So "full" bed protection, top to bottom would be 3 pieces (4th piece would be from the wheel forward at the very bottom)

136c3c16be3fdbd9c451503d81733c1d.jpg

**can't remember who's trucks these are but these guys did a good job!

Those side rails would be awesome. Haven't seen anyone that makes metal flat fenders for the rear on comanches either. Awesome looking work 

I started to make bed rail covers like 3 years ago but never finished them. But now with the sliders on them with the rest of the armor, it would bring everything together and make a truck look awesome!

And nobody makes the bedside armor for mjs so there isn't flares out there. These custom sets on here are it...

b0d516270c05e19c8f88a42f2f437a79.jpg

I had this sheet of 20 gauge sitting around so I started to make a pattern/template to try to figure out the wheel well opening...didn't go as planned. I cut on the wrong line. But other than that I think these will look and fit good. Ive got a piece of 1/8" (a hair thicker than the 12 gauge I'll use) that I can make a legit template out of this weekend maybe.

might be possible to contact z&m and see if they can send you a CAD drawing of their bed sides.

I think I figured it out now I measured a bunch of points and drew them out on some galvanized flashing and cut it out and laid it up there. Hopefully good enough for them to draw up and laser out. These are moving at a decent pace now, as long as the fender flares don't give me problems.

Then onto the bottom quarter armor!