xj frame

I'm trying to just change my 88 comanche 2wd to a 4wd

As stated, XJ's don't have frames. You can swap to 4wd fairly easily using a 4x4 front axle, trans, and t-case from an XJ/MJ. There is a lot of threads and write ups on here to read through.

The XJ and MJ were originally designed as 4x4's, and the 2wd's merely deleted the front axle (there's a solid beam in its place, all suspension is the same), driveshaft, and transfer case. It's pretty well a bolt-on swap, although you may find you have to drill and/or tap holes for the tcase shifter. You'll also either have to get your rear driveshaft shortened or find one for an MJ with your wheelbase and drivetrain, but everything else is shared with the XJ. It may be worth finding a complete donor to transfer stuff over from, that way you know you have all the little niggly things. Also, while it's technically possible to convert your 2wd trans to 4x4, you'd pretty much have have to get a 4x4 trans anyhow to get the parts to do it, so just use the 4x4 trans.

There are many write-ups. For someone who isn't nervous about a complete frame swap, shouldn't be a difficult task.

75sv1 Is right.If he you happen to have the BA-10/5  you can convert it as described above.You don't even have to pull the tranny to do it.Just done this to my truck a couple months ago.But you will have to find a 4wd. tailhousing to put in the place of the 2wd. tailhousing.Also you,ll need to remove the speedometer gear off the tailshaft It's all easy.