GeorgiaJeeper93's '86 MJ Build

Got a few little things done to the truck today. Picked up new headlights, washed her off, new battery cable end things, oil and filter change, siphoned the gas out of the master cylinder, put brake fluid in (not bled yet), cleaned up the engine bay, started scraping off the plastidip, and scored some free wheels.

Here are some pictures of the work I've done to the truck the past few days. 

These are the headlights I picked up. Really excited to get them put on. I have the round ones on my TJ and I love them.

these are the wheels I snagged for free. Not sure if I want to use them on either of my jeeps though. Might try to trade them for a set I like more. 

Similar story for me and my MJ. Biught to keep miles off of my TJ and i fell in love. I also have a 2.5l and live in georgia. Macon to be exact. We will have to hit the trails together once both trucks are streetable. I have similar plans for mine as well; small lift, 31s, and kind of get back to reliable. Ill be driving mine to work and on trails when its ready also. Very exiting. Ill be following your build, subscribed!

• 3 weeks later...

Similar story for me and my MJ. Biught to keep miles off of my TJ and i fell in love. I also have a 2.5l and live in georgia. Macon to be exact. We will have to hit the trails together once both trucks are streetable. I have similar plans for mine as well; small lift, 31s, and kind of get back to reliable. Ill be driving mine to work and on trails when its ready also. Very exiting. Ill be following your build, subscribed!

Sounds great man!

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pictures of work from the past few days. The tail lights obviously aren't the right size, so I'll have to figure something out to get a better fit. Rockauto messed up and sent me the wrong grill. I ordered a black 10 slot. This will have to work for now though. 

The tail lights are basically illegal. The light output for brakes are pointing out to the sides, not behind you. Big time fail if you go on the street.

Also, your grille is upside down.

MJ tail lights aren't that expensive and not hard to find on this forum, why did you go for the ugly Dakota tails?

• 7 months later...

So it's been a while since I've updated this build thread. Mostly because the work on the truck came to a screeching halt in the spring. Work and family took over all my free time. Now, since I'm back in college, my work schedule is a little lighter, so I have a good bit more free time. Man, I'm missing all my overtime though. 

anyways, let me get caught up here. One of the last things I did to the truck before my hiatus, I painted it this horrible purple color. (what was I thinking?) 

the truck was running well, but never made it to the street. (probably a good thing, considering the UGLY paint job  :rotf: )

Over the summer it started having trouble starting. It had a really long, slow, crank. I would soon find out that my starter was dying. 

fast forward to a week or so ago, truck will not start. Figured out it was the starter. Pulling the starter ended up being a huge PITA. I had to buy a long extension and a knuckle to get it off. 

So currently I'm awaiting pay day, so I can order a new starter. In the meantime, I'm working on some small stuff here and there. I can't stand the UGLY purple anymore, so I'm testing out some new paints. here is my favorite so far.

I also finally went to install my headlights, but ran into a small road block

As you can see, the passenger side went fairly smoothly. Driver side not so much. I need to order a new headlight frame thing (the chrome thing that holds the headlight in), and a turn signal. 

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how the rear bumper brackets mount to the frame. Since mine is a LWB its different from what I've seen other people do on here. If anyone has any tips for this, I would greatly appreciate it. 

You should be able to mount the bumper the same way you've seen it on the short beds. If anything you have less stuff to work around. The bolt holes are all the same, the only difference is that on a long bed you don't have to do anything to clear the leaf spring shackle mount. They use all the same parts from the factory.