Leaf spring overhaul: bushings, bolts, pads, coating, shackles

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What you're looking at doing has been done many times. It's generally called a "Spring Over Axle" (SOA) swap, and there's tons of people who've done it on here wired some good write-ups. You don't do anything to the springs, per se. You  remove the axle, and weld new spring perches (brackets for the springs to sit on) to the top of the axle. If you're using an XJ axle, you'll still need to cut the perches off and put new ones on, as the spring spacing is different between XJ and MJ. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:41 AM, gogmorgo said:

What you're looking at doing has been done many times. It's generally called a "Spring Over Axle" (SOA) swap, and there's tons of people who've done it on here wired some good write-ups. You don't do anything to the springs, per se. You  remove the axle, and weld new spring perches (brackets for the springs to sit on) to the top of the axle. If you're using an XJ axle, you'll still need to cut the perches off and put new ones on, as the spring spacing is different between XJ and MJ. 

That pretty well sums it up. Search "SOA" on here or otherwise and start reading.  Look at my build thread linked in my sig and you'll see what my results look like. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2021 at 9:46 PM, MiNi Beast said:

when is it time to rebuild a pack or replace a leaf pack? :dunno:

Typlically when the sag is noticeably different on one side from the other or when you have broken leafs. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:46 PM, MiNi Beast said:

when is it time to rebuild a pack or replace a leaf pack? :dunno:

7 hours ago, Tex06 said:

Typlically when the sag is noticeably different on one side from the other or when you have broken leafs. 

Excessive rust too