Well got the lift in this weekend and it was a @#$%ing pain in the @$$. I hate michigan jeeps, so damn rusty.

But done deal now just need to do the typical finesseing to it.

Started putting brakes together and the lines on the axle..

Then started to tear out the rear..

Putting the new one in..

Bud the best tool on any project..

Bolting it down...

Now the front... ditched the crossmember as well

front brackets...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishing up on the bracket..

Now the front axle removal...

Working now on removal of lower control arm mounts..

Got to replace the upper mount bushing on axle...

pound it, press it...? I say @#$%ing burn it out!

Install new one..

Now put axle back in with lift springs....

And remember the importance of jackstands and blocking the tires.. these are pics of jeep after the front fell off the jack stands...

Ok so finally got it so I can get the arms on...

lower arms set at 27.75" and upper arm set at 30" as said by RK in install package..

But the pinion pointed a little high and made the springs off center to the bumpstop, so had readjusted the upper to 29.5". Better but still need some adjustments.

UCA at 30"...

Track bar installed but need to re adjust that yet.. and stock steering remains, but for short while. Have drop pitman arm, and new x steering being made up. So install shortly.

Done except for some finessing...

And a side note.. learned the importance of one of these...

Buddy caught the steering shaft on fire, the plastic cover, so before it took out anything else of importance we use the red thing.

He she is on the 33's...

then the before we lifted it...

what was the point of putting 3 center bolts in the spring perches? you haven't got adjustability anyways since you didn't put stretched (oval) holes for the ubolts, or drill extra holes for them...

nice job on everything else. a bit of constructive well, not criticism but ideas...

the longarm mounts, don't have a big enough footprint on the unibody "frame rails" IMHO...two bolts is not enough. did you sleeve the holes? I'd perhaps plate the frame in that section, then bolt everything together...

:cheers: good job so far though.

The UBE were T&T's so whatever on the holes. They were there to give option on strecthing the rear but I no need to. The Brackets will be welded up to the frame. And will be adding some plating to the frame as well to stiffen all together.

On first look and before your responce about welding, I agree with Pat. More is needed for the LCA mount. Even welding, remember that its not a real frame, so although welding is good. Its not as good as if you where welding to a real frame.

Nice write up and great pics!! REAL nice welds on the perches!!!

I do have one other comment...

Hope you got a mega alt on this puppy!!! OMG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

CW

On first look and before your responce about welding, I agree with Pat. More is needed for the LCA mount. Even welding, remember that its not a real frame, so although welding is good. Its not as good as if you where welding to a real frame.

Nice write up and great pics!! REAL nice welds on the perches!!!

I do have one other comment...

Hope you got a mega alt on this puppy!!! OMG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

CW

Yeah that's my buddies jeep, Dune Coon, He has duel batteries and a rebuilt alt. for High Output.

As far as the 3 link kit, it is installed per it's instructions. Its a bolt on kit, not major welding required as they say but I'm not leaving it that way.

Yeah well got my lines on today up front anyways. I need a new rear line being that during the swap it got toasted by the welder, so replace someday.

But yeah didn't take long for the install, just cut off the ends and added new ends and flared the lines and installed, like 5min for each line.

My helper...

So I wanted something for now just to hold me over untill I get a new bumper, so a guy had this bumper and was going to scrap it, I told him I'd take it just so I can have something a little stiffer up front then the stock bumper. Never really got a good look at it untill today. And realized it was a WP bumper that goes for $200+, so needless to say I got a great deal and she don't look half bad either. So I put it on tonight....

need to trim some of the fender flares, but had to cut the fenders up anyways so why not now....

Well was out for the 10th Annual Trail Clean Up for the Great Lakes 4x4/ Two Trackers 4x4 Club. Was a good time with some great people.

A couple of snakes that I walked up on and scared me $#!&less...

Represented Comanche Club and passed out some cards....

And now for a brief commercial break....

• 2 weeks later...

Well picked up some used shocks from MidMichxj, great guy there, but yeah so I cleaned them up some and got them on the jeep tonight. Ride is a lot better of course, now I don't have to worry to much about the DW, so I can take the highway again jamminz.gif This be only temp until I get the steering made up and maybe I can hold out now to get me some piggyback shocks that I been looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

Just something to pull my trailer with and a tow point. Got it free from JEEPR which the receiver was rusted in drop side up so cut it off and had buddy tig weld it the right side down for me. Worked out pretty good.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Those pics were from JEEPR, the before pics.

Buddy got stuck but nothing to bad just was going a little slow when he dropped in the hole. But it was a good time, my jeep rode good. No complaints but look forward to the different set of shocks I'm getting next week. Not to many pics of me this run but was a quick one due to my weak steering yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpevSg8p4Y

• 2 weeks later...

Well driveshaft is getting cut down and rewelded for proper length, Sweetness! Have it by noon tomorrow. I'm having it done up a Cooper Machine and Welding Incorporated in Muskegon, MI. (616) 773- 5400 Good guy there, was booked up and leaving early tomorrow but said he be sure to have it done for me by noon. Post pics of it once I get it installed.

Well got my drive shaft back, jamminz.gif no vibes :thumbsup: Cost me $120; cut down, rewelded, new joints and swaped out my 8.8 flange for me. Great guy, recommand him for your driveshaft needs.

Before: XJ 6.5" Lift with stock 4wd Driveshaft and XJ 2wd yoke (longer).

After: XJ 6.5" lift with 2wd driveshaft cut down and with a YJ yoke.