master cylinder/ brake booster upgrade

I need a new master cylinder, figure its good of time as any to upgrade as stock braking sucks.
what is best year to pull/order a booster and MC from?
also is wj or xj parts better for this upgrade?

by the way, upgrade is on a 89 Comanche eliminator swb 2wd 5spd 4.0l renix

also, what all would I need to do this?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

:cheers: 

Stock braking sucks?  Since when?  A 25 year old vehicle generally needs new parts.  There is more to the brake system than master cylinder and booster.  There is height sensor, proportioning valve, wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, calipers, rusted out brake lines, leaky fittings and watered down, rusty DOT 3...all long before any upgrade.

Stock braking sucks?  Since when?  A 25 year old vehicle generally needs new parts.  There is more to the brake system than master cylinder and booster.  There is height sensor, proportioning valve, wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, calipers, rusted out brake lines, leaky fittings and watered down, rusty DOT 3...all long before any upgrade.

I beg to differ , even with all new components and rear shoes adjusted properly ( I did that on my Comanche as soon as I received it) the factory brakes leave A LOT!!! to be desired. The newer dual diaphragm booster set ups are much better than what originally came with these trucks.

Follow Earls '89 Eliminator thread. I did mine this weekend and his advice is spot on. My rear brakes weren't working good still so I bypassed the load sensing valve and it stops on a dime.

Do you have a link to thread?

Many think the stock brakes suck. If many did not then the topic of making them better would not be one of the most recurrent in the tech section. If someone likes them fine stock good for them. They get to keep some money in their pocket. :)

When I put in my 8.8 with disks I swapped the proportion valve for one out of a 96 Cherokee and got rid of my already non functioning load sensing valve and I noticed a difference. My buddy is putting coil overs on his 97 ZJ and had to pull his master cylinder and brake booster to replace with a smaller one to clear the coil over hoops. He gave me his old booster and MC does anybody have experience in using a zj one? I can tell is dual diaphragm by the size of it. will it bolt right up?

WJ is better, and way easier to find. I've done both.

WJ versus 95 to 96 XJ booster

Actually, the WJ booster is in some ways easier than the 95 to 96 XJ.

I've done both.

XJ, you don't have to mess with the firewall. No big deal anyway.
But, you have to move the washer reservoir. And, once the original booster comes out, the bracket inside the cab moves and makes it a bear to install the new booster.

WJ you have to bend or cut the firewall lip, but don't move the washer bottle.
As an added bonus, the mounting studs of the WJ booster are a bit smaller and it's easier to get in.
Another bonus with the WJ is that it has FLEXIBLE lines from the master cylindere that make putting things together MUCH easier.

After looking up part numbers I found this

95xj and 95zj have same MC

But for the Brake booster-

Brand                 Part#                  Year             Vehicle

Cardone             5473151               1995              Grand Cherokee (zj)

Cardone             5473152               1995               Cherokee (xj)

So different by 1 number. Wonder what makes it different.....

Also looked up WJ and it had different part numbers on both...

I was also wrong, the zj brake booster and Mc I have is out of a 95 zj. I know it will be a lot better braking performance from my 88 mj but the question is will the BB fit as far as mounting holes and clearance. I'm less worried about those 2 things though and more worried bout if the part that attaches to the brake pedal will fit.

Wonder if I should just buy a new WJ set up for better piece of mind before I go ripping into it. I know I'm really going to need to do this upgrade once my 35's get put on. 

While I was at the junk yard for the Prop valve I got I also got some of those flexable lines that crusier is talking about. I knew that they would prob make instillation easier so I just grabbed them.

I know they didn't have manual wj's...will the master cylinder/booster still work good being that I have a manual mj?

also does it matter if it is pulled out a v8 or does it need to be the 6 cylinder MC and booster?

I know they didn't have manual wj's...will the master cylinder/booster still work good being that I have a manual mj?

also does it matter if it is pulled out a v8 or does it need to be the 6 cylinder MC and booster?

Just a WJ....99 to 2004.

are you done yet?