The other Chief (Getting it ready for paint)

Finally got it out of the garage under it's own power. Made a mount for the fuel tank so I can remove the bed (not sure if i'm doing a flat bed or looking for a factory bed) without having to take out the tank or e-brake set up. Got the cab corner replaced and painted. Removed the front bumper ( going to build a new one) and that's about it for now. Got the 8.8 all cleaned up ready to go in with a spring over and going to get started on the front suspension.

479208_233_full.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a mount for the fuel tank so I can remove the bed (not sure if i'm doing a flat bed or looking for a factory bed) without having to take out the tank or e-brake set up.

any pics of your custom mounts for your fuel tank and ebrake lines?

Nice work 1999. That MJ looks VERY sharp. I wish I had the time/resources to take my bed off. jamminz.gif

ah, its easy...simply remove the blankets and sheets, slide it through the door and down the hallway, then out the front door.

now you've not only removed your bed, but you have used your resources wisely to gain more storage space

Nice work 1999. That MJ looks VERY sharp. I wish I had the time/resources to take my bed off. jamminz.gif

ah, its easy...simply remove the blankets and sheets, slide it through the door and down the hallway, then out the front door.

now you've not only removed your bed, but you have used your resources wisely to gain more storage space

WOW.... and I thought I was a smarta$$.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more work done on the chief this weekend. Got the 8.8 in it and the spring over done with the Ruffstuff antiwrap pearches,spring plates,u-bolts and shock mounts. Ordered all new brakes and claipers and roters today. Hoping to have the HD SYE here soon so I can get a rear drive shaft ordered and I'll be all set with the rear suspension. Then I can get started on the front long arms. I'll post some new pictures up on Sunday.

• 4 weeks later...

Started mocking up my long arms this past weekend. I got a Tomken XJ long arm crossmember for free that my cousin had laying around so I just used that to save me some fab time. I have polly bushing at the frame side and Johnny joints at the axel side and 2"x.25 DOM for the lower arms and picked up a set of cheep RE adjustable upper arns and just used them for the top arm,

479208_235_full.jpg

Got the 8.8 all mounted in with Ruffstuff antiwrap spring perched,u-bolts and upper spring plates. U can also see where I made the fuel tank mount independent from the bed so if I decide to put a bed back on it it can be removed with ease.

479208_236_full.jpg

Here she is sitting ion all 4 35x12.50 BFG muds and 15x8 soft 8's with one wheelin trip on them for $400 and a set of new TJ 7.5" coil springs. Coint to fab up the track bar next and picked up a tera knuckle and going to make my one trag link with 1.25 chromo tubing. Still alot of stuff to do but she's getting there.

479208_234_full.jpg

I dig it. :D

Looks good. Wish my projects could move at the rate of yours!

If you call SLOOOOW a rate. This is taking me so much longer then I thought it would. It's just one thing after another after another after another

looks great. makes me want to throw on some 35's now! must.....resist......urge to lift more :D

nathan

DO IT! These things were ment to be on 35's

my last jeep (zj) was on 36's so i kinda want to keep this one a little mort street and gas mileage friendly. but you never know what will happen in a few years

nathan

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got a little more work done on the Chief.

Installed new upper and lower ball joints, Replaces the smaller shafts with TJ 297 joint shafts and new spicer joints, wheel bearings (just waiting on one to finish the driver side) Installed the new Tera Cross over steering knuckle and SS front brake lines, Trussed the Dana 30 and relocated the track bar mount and built a new track bar and regeared the Dana 30 to 4.10's for now to match the 8.8 rear. Once my Currie HD tie rod ends get here I can finish the steering all up.

On the rear I got all new roters,calipers and pads. ran all new brake line fron the new 96 booster and master to the rear. Also got the Tera SYE installed and got the Tom woods drive shaft ordered up in friday and should have it this the middle of the week.

Trussed 30 and track bar mount

SYE installed

Tera knuckle

pushed the axle forward a little and clear back side of the fenders with the 35's with no trimmimg

Wow, this is turning out to be a one of the nicer MJ's I've seen. Your makin good progress, at least compared to me. My project is moving too slow, life and work keeps getting in the way :eek:

I'm anxious to see yours done, that is going to be sweet. :cheers:

Wow, this is turning out to be a one of the nicer MJ's I've seen. Your makin good progress, at least compared to me. My project is moving too slow, life and work keeps getting in the way :eek:

I'm anxious to see yours done, that is going to be sweet. :cheers:

Thanks Rob, It's getting there. Just keep getting held up with the wwrong parts being delivered every time I turn around. I hope to have it ready to Roll with in the next week or so. THis is my slow time of the year at work so now I can really get busy with it :brows:

• 4 weeks later...

Well got most of it done now and It's time to put a bed on it but not 100% sure if I should flat bed it or throw the cut up stock bed on it.

Would like to see some flat bed Ideas or pictures of some decent looking flat bed designs U or someone else has designed.

Not reall crazy about the flat bed Idea becuse I haven't seen a design I like.

What's yall's opinion?

Well got most of it done now and It's time to put a bed on it but not 100% sure if I should flat bed it or throw the cut up stock bed on it.

Would like to see some flat bed Ideas or pictures of some decent looking flat bed designs U or someone else has designed.

Not reall crazy about the flat bed Idea becuse I haven't seen a design I like.

What's yall's opinion?

I would like to see a flatbed. don't see a design you like, do your own, it is quite apparent you have the skills. I am sure it will look great no matter which way you go though.

BBC

Here are some of the bed pictures I have collected. :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found