XJ and MJ axle width

I was wondering if the XJ 8.25 and the MJ D35 are the same width! I wanted to swap in a 8.25 in place of my D35 and just wanted to know if I'll have to get spacers or not... Also will I be able to use a C8.25 with my 33's and be able to be worry free? If its not much better than the D35 there's no use in me swapping.

You'll need to cut off the spring perches from the 8.25, mount them on the other side and space them to the MJ leaf pack spacing - if you're keeping it spring under.  If spring over axle, you'll need to re-locate the spring perches at a different spacing......  IIRC, the MJ's leaf packs sit narrower than the XJ's - might be wider, can't remember.

You'll need to cut off the spring perches from the 8.25, mount them on the other side and space them to the MJ leaf pack spacing - if you're keeping it spring under. If spring over axle, you'll need to re-locate the spring perches at a different spacing...... IIRC, the MJ's leaf packs sit narrower than the XJ's - might be wider, can't remember.

Yeah I've already don't the SOA swap, will the 8.25 lift me up anymore?

You'll need to cut off the spring perches from the 8.25, mount them on the other side and space them to the MJ leaf pack spacing - if you're keeping it spring under. If spring over axle, you'll need to re-locate the spring perches at a different spacing...... IIRC, the MJ's leaf packs sit narrower than the XJ's - might be wider, can't remember.

Yeah I've already don't the SOA swap, will the 8.25 lift me up anymore?

A very minimal amount. The 8.25 iirc is .25 or .5 inches bigger tubes.

Okay thanks! Do you think it's worth the swap?

Only if it comes from a '97 or newer XJ. The newer ones have larger axle shafts. The older 8.25 has the same shaft diameter and spline count as the D35. The housing is stronger, but the internals aren't much better. If you're going to do it, do it once.

Only if it comes from a '97 or newer XJ. The newer ones have larger axle shafts. The older 8.25 has the same shaft diameter and spline count as the D35. The housing is stronger, but the internals aren't much better. If you're going to do it, do it once.
So if I swap it I should go with a post 97?

So if I swap it I should go with a post 97?

I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote.

97+ have the 29 spline!  If you read that they aren't good axles it is either because its from a 27 spline (slightly then a D35) or it is from someone who hasn't actually had one under there truck and is just repeating what they are told.  The only down fall of a 8.25 is poor aftermarket support.

97+ have the 29 spline! If you read that they aren't good axles it is either because its from a 27 spline (slightly then a D35) or it is from someone who hasn't actually had one under there truck and is just repeating what they are told. The only down fall of a 8.25 is poor aftermarket support.

Awesome! I'm gonna try to find a 97 or above on Craigslist because I am in need of a new D30 as well the last owner bent it:(

You will have to open it up if you are unsure of the donor. You can pop a c-clip and count the splines on the shaft or look for a date stamping on the internals. personally I don't buy axles that could be more than one thing without checking them first. Many people have bought axles that "have a locker in them" without chicken only to find a crappy welded diff. You can't be sure that a 27-spline axle wasn't ever swapped under a '98, either.

yup. a 98 could have had an earlier 8.25 swapped in to replace a blown dana 35.  all 97+ 8.25s will be 29 spline, but not all 97+ XJs had an 8.25. 

And just to add a little more uncertainty,1996 was the transition year. Some XJ's manufactured in late 1996 got the 29 spline 8.25 also. I swapped a 29 spline 8.25 out of a 1996 XJ into my old 1988 XJ.

I'm considering doing the same thing, swapping the D35 for a C8.25. Is the ratio the same as the stock front axle?

Depends on your trucks setup. Motor/trans? More than likely an axle from an XJ will be 3.55 gears

Mine is a 92 4.0HO with the Auto. The donor axle I'm looking at is out of an 01 XJ 4.0 2wd auto