Mjotm - July, 2014

'Tell me doctor, where are we going this time? Is this the fifties? Or nineteen ninety-nine?'

Call up Doc Brown, put on your best orange vest, crank up the Huey Lewis, and fire up the time machine... Because we are about to be back in the '80's. This month we have a super clean survivor with just the right touches in just the right areas. This thing is heavy.

87MJTIM's '87 Laredo!!!

YEAR/MODEL

87 Laredo long bed with off road package

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●

DRIVETRAIN ●

4wd, BA10/5, NP231

COOLING ●

Closed system

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●

Stock from factory

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●

Rear General Springs, with military wrap giving 3" lift in; Front 2" spacers to level it

INTERIOR ●

Bucket with full console, AM FM 4 speakers, pwr window and locks

BRAKES ●

Heavy duty drums in rear (D44)

LIGHTING ●

Factory fog lamps (need to replace lamps)

EXTERIOR ●

Paint Champagne Metalic from factory, Rhino lined bed

WHEELS/TIRES ●

235/75/15

MISCELLANEOUS ●

History of the Comanche:

My (future) wife bought it new in summer 87 after graduating college. She drove if for a few years. We then bought a 91 XJ and she drove that. I sold my 87 Mustang and started driving the MJ. It was my DD until 98 when I bought a new TJ. The MJ was left for weekend trips to the hardware store or an emergency spare. Well the XJ was traded for a Dodge Durango and the TJ for a Subaru Outback. Both of those are gone, replaced by a Suburban and Honda CRV. I could never think of letting go of the MJ. After 24 years, it was always the most reliable vehicle we've had (except for the internal slave cylinder), I had been looking at new pickups, but none of them were as good as the MJ. Also, the price of a new one was alot more than what it would cost to restore the MJ. So, with the wife's permission, I got it restored to factory original. The engine was rebuilt, the trans and tcase were service (first time for both), rust spots and dents were fixed and the whole body was repainted, including original pin stripes. It took almost a year from start to finish, but the results were worth it.

Almost everything on it is original: 4.0, BA10/5, NP231, D30/D44.

The rear leaf springs were replaced with General Spings giving it 3" of lift. The rear bumper was rusting and replaced with a Fey bumper.

Same truck in the spring of '88!

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●

Driving home in the snow when other 4x4s are stuck in the snow.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

CC is awesome because I have learned so much about maintaining my Jeeps.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Wow. All I can say is wow. An original owner (Family) MJ after all these years. Had I met a woman who was rocking a Metric Ton Laredo MJ I would have scooped her up also. Your truck is a thing of beauty. The color, the options, the... Everything. I imagine the history and the memories made in that thing... First dates, using it to move into a new house, start new chapters, and close old ones. Forever being the rock of stability in the driveway, knowing that whatever life tossed at you, with a set of keys and a twist of the wrist, it would take all comers.

Enjoy your month in the spotlight, share it with the family, and take the old MJ for an extra special cruise through the warm summer twilight for all of us.

Congrats,

Rob :cheers:

Click here to view the article

That is all kinds of amazing. It's nice to see restored unmolested trucks! Wow!

I also like the originality of the BA10 & closed cooling system. Just goes to show if you take care of your truck it will last. How many miles are on that bad boy?

• 3 weeks later...