Front Brake Caliper Mount

I've got a little problem.  The allen heads for the slider pins are stripped out on both sides of my MJ.  I've tried everything I can think of to get them out.  The hoses, calipers and pads are all in need of replacement.  I've spent all day doing everything in my power to get this thing apart.  I'm now thinking the best solution is to just replace the mounts as well.  Does anyone have a trick for getting this thing apart or happen to have some mounts laying around?

You can try taking a slighty larger sized allen particularly a socket version. If the pin is metric try using an SAE to get the larger size. Beat the Allen into the stripped hole with a hammer. Turn out the pin. Beat the socket off of the pin. Do it 3 more times

Ah, yes. Another believer in the "If It Don't Fit, Get A Bigger Hammer" theory. As an old machinist I can testify that Incommando's advice can work pretty well. Just wear a glove on the hand holding the other end of the allen wrench (don't ask - personal experience). And make sure you drive it in as far as you can before trying to turn it.

I'll go down later and look at my 2WD truck to see if there's another way to do it.

BTW - be careful when changing the hoses. Get a good grip on the fitting at the end of the steel line so that you don't twist the line. The little bracket there will only take so much torque before it bends and lets the line twist. PB Blaster is your friend - spray liberally and often before you start the project.

Thanks Keyav8r, I applied plenty of PB yesterday so it can soak in for when I get around to doing this.

onlyinajeep726, By mounts I mean the metal bracket that bolts to the knuckle with two bolts.  It's the piece that wraps around the rotor so the pads have a place to sit.  Here is what I'm talking about, but I'd rather not pay this much for them.

Welding a nut on there is a great idea, I wish I had a welder. 

Depending on where youre getting the calipers from core charges are around 8 bucks a side . If you need to cut or ruin the caliper do it . The new calipers will come with the slide pins and hardware. If you cut the Caliper down the center it will slide off the slides and then you can grab them with vice grips . Try what's above first

unless you don't have access to a welder.

You can try taking a slighty larger sized allen particularly a socket version. If the pin is metric try using an SAE to get the larger size. Beat the Allen into the stripped hole with a hammer. Turn out the pin. Beat the socket off of the pin. Do it 3 more times

this sometimes will work, I have also had good luck driving in a torx bit with a hammer. The torx gets some extra grip because of the sharp edges.

pb Blaster, a torch at well placed parts and a can of compressed air inverted to hit those parts you don't want hot.  That's been my go to experience.  Might as well replace the slider pin boots while you're at.

cut the little black slide off and use vice grips. just did this on my mj. when you replace your bolts buy the allen wrench that fits it perfect and put it in your glove box and mark it because its one of those tools you lose when you need it.

Ajohnson - I'm assuming you're working on your 2WD MJ. Looking at my 88 2WD, the bracket the the caliper mounts on and the pads ride on is bolted on with two torx head bolts. The caliper slide pins are allen socket head. You should be able to remove the bracket with the caliper still mounted and may be able to drill the slider pins out with the whole thing off the truck. If not, pull a set of brackets from a 2WD XJ or MJ at the JY and buy some rebuilt calipers. PM me an e-mail and I'll send you a photo of the bracket and caliper.

onlyinajeep726, By mounts I mean the metal bracket that bolts to the knuckle with two bolts.  It's the piece that wraps around the rotor so the pads have a place to sit.  Here is what I'm talking about, but I'd rather not pay this much for them.

Ah... I was not aware those came off...  Never looked at it that closely, but that's good to know.  Thanks.

P.S.: I told you I was probably wrong haha.

Ajohnson - I'm assuming you're working on your 2WD MJ. Looking at my 88 2WD, the bracket the the caliper mounts on and the pads ride on is bolted on with two torx head bolts. The caliper slide pins are allen socket head. You should be able to remove the bracket with the caliper still mounted and may be able to drill the slider pins out with the whole thing off the truck. If not, pull a set of brackets from a 2WD XJ or MJ at the JY and buy some rebuilt calipers. PM me an e-mail and I'll send you a photo of the bracket and caliper.

In my case they were 12 point bolts, not e-torx. I don't know if they changed it throughout the years, but it's easy to confuse them.

Mine bolts on.  I had it off the other day but was not successful in getting the caliper off of it.  I've found new ones at a local jy and will pick them up tomorrow.  Hopefully I can knock this project out next weekend so that I can get back to focusing on improvements.

Thanks for the input guys.