Windshield Replacement

So I have a '88 MJ that has a crack in the windshield thats been there 10 year ( thats what i was told from previous owner) and I just got at fix-it ticket so I gotta replace it. Problem is since its an '88 (or maybe just an MJ) its supposed to have this bull$#!& trim around the outside. well i have two of pieces and the rest are long gone. I heard somewhere that Jeep later changed that made it with just a gasket. Basically replaced the metal trim with a rubber piece. Anyone know what year this occurred? It might be on XJs years after they stopped making MJs.

Regardless of the year all windshields are interchangeable . All you need to do is order one for a 96 Cherokee and make sure you get the gasket also . If you order an old windshield and a new gasket it will be to big for the opening . Also the tab for the rear view mirror will be different so you'll have to get one of those also

Thanks man

alright new problem tho the glass companies (3 so far) say that they licensing agency that certifies the installers has a clause that says that they can not modify a windshield to fit the vehicle and they can not put a windshield in a vehicle that did did not come in stock. She did confirm they are the exact same size though 

thoughts?  

I had Interstate glass install a 99 XJ windshield/gasket in my 92 MJ. The folks in the office were a bit hesitant, but the install tech had no problems.

If your glass company throws a fit, tell them it is a 98 XJ that you modified to look like a pickup...

I had Interstate glass install a 99 XJ windshield/gasket in my 92 MJ. The folks in the office were a bit hesitant, but the install tech had no problems.

If your glass company throws a fit, tell them it is a 98 XJ that you modified to look like a pickup...

:agree: 99% of the time the desk monkeys at glass companys won't look it over twice once you tell em its a modded 99 xj but if the instal tec knows his rigs he will know its an mj

I had a buddy that installed glass he did whatever I asked him to do they were the same price except for the addition of the molding . You could go to a jy and get the other two moldings . Do you have the clips to retain the steel trim peices ?

Nope they're all broken

Go to Safelite on 4th street in flagstaff they have the rubber trim and windshields. They've done two for me.

You don't happen to be the white or red MJ running around up here are you?

Thanks man

alright new problem tho the glass companies (3 so far) say that they licensing agency that certifies the installers has a clause that says that they can not modify a windshield to fit the vehicle and they can not put a windshield in a vehicle that did did not come in stock. She did confirm they are the exact same size though 

thoughts?

You're not modifying the windshield. The windshields are all the same, and they are held in with adhesive. The stainless steel trim or the gasket serves the same purpose -- trim. Any shop that doesn't understand this should not be trusted to install a windshield anyway.

Just call safelite mobile service tell them you got a 97 xj. When he shows up he puts it in, the gasket comes with the windshield because they glue it to the glass no need to mention it. Just did this 2 weeks ago went through the same BS you are then got this idea from Alexia worked great plus safelite has lifetime warranty

• 7 years later...
8 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

so whats a newer windshield install costing these days? been thinking about replacing mine for more clarity of vision..:comancheB:

I've replaced 2 windshields in a '96 Cherokee and 1 in an '88 Comanche all within the last year. They run $250 each, installed in the middle Georgia area. Not sure what the prices are like in different parts of the country.

55 minutes ago, Coyote said:

I've replaced 2 windshields in a '96 Cherokee and 1 in an '88 Comanche all within the last year. They run $250 each, installed in the middle Georgia area. Not sure what the prices are like in different parts of the country.

Thanks for the response. thats not at all bad. just might finally have one installed. @Pete M have anymore windshield banners, going to need one if swap windshields. :shhh:

Safelite is exactly the bottom-barrel installer I was referring to haha :roflmao:

Obviously the install quality varies by location so check your local reviews, but Safelite manufactures their own glass which is wholly inferior to OEM glass.  They also source OEM glass by availability, so you sometimes luck out but don't know what you're getting until it's in.  I can't speak for the Comanche in particular, but on a lot of models Safelite's glass is a lot thinner than OEM and the metal windshield trim will not fit as a result.  This obviously doesn't matter if you're going with the later rubber seal, though.  Anecdotally, the thinner glass also seems to chip and crack a lot easier, too, but I don't have any numbers to back that up.  I have also not seen but heard of the glass layers delaminating on Safelite glass.

Anyways, I don't like Safelite.  That's my 2c :L:

28 minutes ago, scaleless said:

Safelite is exactly the bottom-barrel installer I was referring to haha :roflmao:

Obviously the install quality varies by location so check your local reviews, but Safelite manufactures their own glass which is wholly inferior to OEM glass.  They also source OEM glass by availability, so you sometimes luck out but don't know what you're getting until it's in.  I can't speak for the Comanche in particular, but on a lot of models Safelite's glass is a lot thinner than OEM and the metal windshield trim will not fit as a result.  This obviously doesn't matter if you're going with the later rubber seal, though.  Anecdotally, the thinner glass also seems to chip and crack a lot easier, too, but I don't have any numbers to back that up.  I have also not seen but heard of the glass layers delaminating on Safelite glass.

Anyways, I don't like Safelite.  That's my 2c :L:

I'm convinced i will not use them. :L:

i would perfer to go the newer route with the rubber seal. i have pulled glass before with piano wire but not install personally. i just want fresh glass as mines has the 30 year haze and a couple cracks on the bottom. unibody life. :shaking: 

2 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

@Pete M have anymore windshield banners, going to need one if swap windshields. :shhh:

I don't think I have one on hand at the moment, but I can get ya one next trip north for sure. :L: