Anyone Here Work With The Public?

big66440

Anyone on this forum have a job that deals with the general public? I work at an engine rebuild parts warehouse and we also sell on the internet you guys will not believe the $#!& we come across from some people, more than anything people seem to think having (fill in the blank) amount of years working on cars gives them COMPLETE immunity for making mistakes,,,,and having ASE  certifications only makes them more of a wizard, I have ASE certifications myself and have never in my life used it as leverage personally I believe it shows you have test taking skills and reading comprehension and that is it, I can go on but I'd rather hear some stories from you guys :popcorn:  :cheers:   

Yes.

Wait till some butt-hurt person announces "I PAY YOUR SALARY!!!!" and proceeds to let you know you have to do what they want due to that fact. When I hear that, my usual response is "Yes you do. And, when you are ready to work for what I make you can certainly make those decisions. Sign here and have a nice day. Press hard - you are making 4 copies"

Yes.

Wait till some butt-hurt person announces "I PAY YOUR SALARY!!!!" and proceeds to let you know you have to do what they want due to that fact. When I hear that, my usual response is "Yes you do. And, when you are ready to work for what I make you can certainly make those decisions. Sign here and have a nice day. Press hard - you are making 4 copies"

LOL....... indeed.  Every day, 4 days, 10 hr shifts.  The County I work for has been in a pay-freeze for going on 5 years now.  Luckily I've been there 23 years and am topped out, but for the new guys with 6 or less years on..... that "I pay your salary" blurb?....... them's fightin' words.   :laughin:

Used to be a Firefighter/EMT.  Every Friday night that I was on, we'd end up outside the same bar with some freshly Tazered drunk screaming in my face how he was going to sue me for everything I had.  The general public is bad, the drunk public is ridiculously illogical.  I truly don't understand how the Police deal with it

I try to avoid the general public as much as possible. And as for the police, How they can put up with the crap they do and still maintain any sense of value or morals is beyond me. I did once get pulled over by a Colorado State Trooper, Some minor detail about me going 85 in a 75 MPH zone. Asked me for drivers license, registration and insurance, which I produced.  Then he asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I looked him straight in the face and replied, "You were lonely and wanted somebody to talk to"? He was very nice fella. We spent 20 minutes under the hood discussing the GTO trip carb set up as compared to what a pair of Hollys could do. NO ticket. Just a request to hold it down.

Laughing my @$$ off, you guys have some good stories and cruiser 54 you are absolutely correct about the "mommy come wipe me " statement, it's amazing how some people are just quick to put their hand out and make a request for whatever they want AND expect you to wrap it with a pretty pink bow and hand it over with a warm smile on your face after they just finished $#!&ting on you  for THEIR mistake,,,,,, :ack:  I've lost count for how many times these import car tuners have contacted us pissed off about how our 100.00 dollar set of cast pistons didn't hold up to nitrous and turbo charging,,,, I'm not into imports by any means but I would assume it's safe to say a good set of pistons will be much more than 100.00 bucks :nuts:

you know I own my own business. Most of my sales are online.   I rebuild hydraulic snow plow pumps for a living.   a good majority of what I do so is actually the service to rebuild their pumps.  unfortunately a lot of my customers just look at the listings see wa pretty pump, and buy it without so much is reading the description.  they get the confirmation email with directions on how to pack and where to ship, and flat ignore it.   2 weeks later, I have a case open against me for item not received, or worse yet a chargeback case because people don't know how to use PayPal or eBay.    somehow they think they're getting a $1000 pump for $400 its brand new rebuilt.   And somehow it is my fault that they cannot read.  They actually argue with me on what they bought, even though it states point blank 9+ times in the listing what it is.

I have a $100 non refundable restocking fee.   Period end of story, don't read and you lose the money for my hassle.

I hate stupid people.   Worse is that they are more lazy than stupid

Used to work at a movie theater.... in the ghetto (but it has the nicest seats in WA- recliner lazy boy love seats :thumbsup:  ). Talk about hell. With the new seats, it cut the seating capacity by at least 1/3 in every theater. And since it has the nicest seats around, EVERYBODY wants to watch a movie there. Movies would sell out for the day by 7 AM. Can't count how many times I got cussed at because people showed up late and A) the movie was sold out B) they were in a hurry and I was taking too long C) they couldn't find seats together or some combination of the above. My favorite question I ever got there. Guy shows up late, and his wife can't sit next to him. So he comes up to me working concessions, and asks ME to go get another one of the giant love seats and put it in the theater so his wife could sit next. I just gave him a blank stare.  :doh:  :rotf:

We sell on e-bay to and I know how it feels to deal with people that cannot read, we get calls with people pissed off and upset about how "the part didn't fit their vehicle" when it clearly has detailed description on the listing of the vehicle the parts are compatible with somehow it turns out to be your fault.

I used to run an appliance repair shop. We did in home repairs as well as sold parts to the public.

We had a huge sign that read, "NO refunds on gas or electrical items, no exceptions!" Same thing was.written on the receipt and they get told before they paid, verbally.

You would think that they would get the hint, but noooo. Or they try bring back the part after installing it but when we.show them proof that.a.part was installes they call us thieves.