91' With Camper - Suspension Upgrade?

I have 4x4 91' with a camper I built on the bed. I don't have an exact weight but I'm guessing around 500 lbs... I have 30" tires. I added a helper spring to level out the rig which works well. I don't do any serious off roading, mainly poorly maintained fire roads and BLM land stuff, but I have noticed some rubbing on the front wheel wells when on something steep and slanted. My questions is, what is the best approach to adding some lift?

I don't want a ton of lift as I want to keep as little weight up high as possible. I have been looking into the rocky road 1" lift + new, stiffer shocks.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xj-budget-lift.html   (comanche 1" at the bottom)

Ideas?

Thanks!!

SQYH4kd.jpg

popped...

vwd19Jf.jpg

Sorry off topic but nice rig got any interior pics of camper

I have to agree... that's a pretty sweet job you did with the custom camper.  I'd like to see how roomy it is inside.  By the way, how much did it cost to build?

But to add to your question, V8 ZJ coils + a 0.75" spacer and Chevy 2" lowering shackles (gives us 2" lift).  As for shocks, get the appropriate Monroe Load-leveler shocks for the rear (P/N: 58638) and the matching Monroe Sensa-tracs for the front.  That's what I plan to do for a cheap 2" lift.  The nice thing about the Load-levelers is they're ability to auto adjust to the load in the bed of the truck, in your case the camper.

1 ton springs in the rear and Grand V8 springs in the front????

I'd agree with a set of MT rear springs. They will increase your payload from 1280 t0 1700 lb. capacity over stock springs. They also provide about 2" of lift, so a set of OME 630 front coils up front will level it all out. I'm not crazy about Monroe shocks, prefer OMEs or Bilsteins, but that's your choice.

A thick beefy sway bar up front like the 28mm ADDCO #570 will really help control body roll too.

I don't think you want to add lift. You seem to be happy with the way it is now, except for the slight rubbing, and I agree that you want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, especially with a camper.

Before you even start discussing a lift to cure the rubbing, you need to find out what's rubbing and where -- and then determine whether or not a lift will address that. 30-inch tires would normally be expected to rub on the lower control arms ... with Jeep wheels. I can't tell for sure from your photos but it looks like you are running aftermarket rimes, so that means less backspacing -- the rims (and tires) sit farther outboard than the same tires on OEM rims. If that's the case, the rubbing is almost certainly going to be the shoulder of the tire rubbing the lower portion of the flare behind the tire -- right side rubs on right turns, left side rubs on left turns.

Well since your question clearly stated is..... "My questions is, what is the best approach to adding some lift?"

Any of the methods described above will work for you. My self I would go with the ZJ front MT rear combo...would give you a clean looking lift that to the untrained eye would look stock.

But your Rocky road lift would work for you if the budget is tight ..... :thumbsup:  (There is other companies that offer budget boost kits)

And FYI the back set of your wheels will actually be an advantage to you if you choose to lift as the wider stance affords you a more stable platform as you go up ....off setting the higher center of gravity and the combination will eliminate any rubbing on the flares.

I would also like to see pictures inside the camper...it looks like a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.....and only 500 lbs?

Thanks everyone for the input! Nice talking to people with experience! 

As for the camper I don't really have any great photos of the inside, but I can take some with my phone soon. I'm actually making a two part video about the camper and a surf trip I took it on up to Haida Gwaii island in northern BC, that I will share here on the CC forum. It will be out next month and will show most of the building process. 

surf trip

O hell yeah!

Looking forward to seeing both the stills and the video you have captured.

I've always been curious as to what the Pacific NW have to offer for a surfari. Though I have been to 11 countries and sailed and surfed the Gulf of Mexico, North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, North and South Pacific, and the Indian Ocean, I never have gone north up the west coast above San Francisco. I always thought the water is too freaking cold up there!

Used V8 ZJ springs will have probably sagged a little over time but will probably be good for 1", your best bet is to look for ZJ V8 Up Country springs which are stiffer as well as 1" taller than regular V8 ZJ springs and would offer a nice handling improvement for your loaded down MJ.

I always thought the water is too freaking cold up there!

The North Pacific Current actually brings reasonably warm water up the coast. It's partly why the west coast is so much more temperate than the rest of the continent. It still would be unpleasant to be in the water for prolonged periods in the winter months, but even as far north as Juneau AK, daytime highs are frequently above freezing during the winter.

surf trip

O hell yeah!

Looking forward to seeing both the stills and the video you have captured.

I've always been curious as to what the Pacific NW have to offer for a surfari. Though I have been to 11 countries and sailed and surfed the Gulf of Mexico, North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, North and South Pacific, and the Indian Ocean, I never have gone north up the west coast above San Francisco. I always thought the water is too freaking cold up there!

I always thought the water is too freaking cold up there!

The North Pacific Current actually brings reasonably warm water up the coast. It's partly why the west coast is so much more temperate than the rest of the continent. It still would be unpleasant to be in the water for prolonged periods in the winter months, but even as far north as Juneau AK, daytime highs are frequently above freezing during the winter.

Ya its great up there. Ive been going up every fall to surf for the last several years... The water is cold but with a good suit, booties and gloves its fine.. Just have to be prepared. Surfed in Alaska a couple springs ago, that was cold.

Here is a photo of the rig up on Haida Gwaii.

0gB4Tz7.jpg

Thanks again for the input everyone. Shopping around.

I follow you on Instagram, Cool to see you join CC! Id also suggest the v8 ZJ coils and MT leafpacks for your duties. Stoked to see your vid coming out soon, I surf out here on the east coast and its nothing special but we have some decent breaks and occasionally some good rollers

• 4 weeks later...

Air adjustable shocks on the rear may be the best choice for you. That would let you "test" different heights on the rear without the risk of going too high for the camper.

As for the front, I am with Eagle, find out why you are rubbing first rather than just put a lift on the front end.

I have put 2800 lbs of blocks in the bed of my truck (Metric Ton package plus 2 overload springs) and never had any front tire rub.  Tires were 235/75 x 15.  28.9 inch diameter