Throttle Linkage

I have an 88 with the 4.0. Anyone ever have an issue with their throttle linkage? This part is the one that is attached to like a 1/4 L shaped rod. I'm looking to see if anyone has a fix for this issue, I have some ideas but it'd be easier to have something that i know works.

7y6a3ehe.jpg5u7uhare.jpg

You can simply replace your throttle cable........or......... go high tech.

http://www.kartek.com/Product/72/Cable-Morse-Ball-Joint-End.aspx

Use pliers to crush and destroy existing plastic end or cut off....assuming you have enough threaded adjustment for length in the cable at the cable mount.

Silver solder or epoxy new end on.

These ends may be available at hobby shops that specialize in 1/4 scale RC......or look to web........or look to lawn tractor shops such as Cub Cadet, these are used for trans and throttle links.

May have to drill out the threads on the joint to get a slip fit over your existing cable rod.

There are other rod ends but you may have to remove your TB to get that pressed in ball cut off and drilled out to replace the ball end.

Use pliers to crush and destroy existing plastic end or cut off....assuming you have enough threaded adjustment for length in the cable at the cable mount.

These ends may be available at hobby shops that specialize in 1/4 scale RC......or look to web........or look to lawn tractor shops such as Cub Cadet, these are used for trans and throttle links.

May have to drill out the threads on the joint to get a slip fit over your existing cable rod.

There are other rod ends but you may have to remove your TB to get that pressed in ball cut off and drilled out to replace the ball end.

Its not the cable part.

Its not the cable part.

What did I miss here?

Confused.

aheju8en.jpg

Picture is sideways sorry. Most people think that the transmission line pressure cable is actually the throttle linkage. After reading your post a few times that's what it sounded like to me, my apologies if I am wrong. I actually found the party I need at least I think I did. http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=866560&ukey_product=6845431

It took quite a bit of searching as everything I searched actually came up with the transmission cable. I'll update this one I get the actual part in the mail.

Ok so here is my fix!<br />Take the rod drill a hole, then thread in the small eye hook things, bend it out so it can wrap around the ball on the throttle body and foot pedal assembly, then finally clamp it down tight. So my fix was under $1. Hope this helps someone else in the future. tyjyhy9y.jpg

Ok so here is my fix! Take the rod drill a hole, then thread in the small eye hook things, bend it out so it can wrap around the ball on the throttle body and foot pedal assembly, then finally clamp it down tight. So my fix was under $1. Hope this helps someone else in the future. tyjyhy9y.jpg

I have an 88 with the 4.0. Anyone ever have an issue with their throttle linkage? This part is the one that is attached to like a 1/4 L shaped rod. I'm looking to see if anyone has a fix for this issue, I have some ideas but it'd be easier to have something that i know works.

What's the issue? I see a photo with no explanation of what problem it's supposed to be showing.

The lower end of that arm goes to a bellcrank on the frame rail. That bellcrank pivot gets rusted up or gooked up and doesn't rotate freeley. That's the most common problem with the Renix throttle linkage, and the cure is usually to shoot it with PB Blaster and work it manually until it rotates freely.

Ok so here is my fix!<br />Take the rod drill a hole, then thread in the small eye hook things, bend it out so it can wrap around the ball on the throttle body and foot pedal assembly, then finally clamp it down tight. So my fix was under $1. Hope this helps someone else in the future. tyjyhy9y.jpg

Nice cheap fix.....could use it to get the truck heading down the road......keep your eyes open, now that you have a threaded opening you might come across the correct ball cap connector that can also be threaded into place.  :thumbsup:

1-029104.jpg

Posted Today, 06:09 AM

MJam86, on 06 Jan 2014 - 04:05, said:snapback.png

What's the issue? I see a photo with no explanation of what problem it's supposed to be showing.

The lower end of that arm goes to a bellcrank on the frame rail. That bellcrank pivot gets rusted up or gooked up and doesn't rotate freeley. That's the most common problem with the Renix throttle linkage, and the cure is usually to shoot it with PB Blaster and work it manually until it rotates freely.

His plastic ball end no longer stayed on the ball.

Ball ends are not free, ingenuity is even more expensive, I suppose. :idea:

<br /><br />What's the issue? I see a photo with no explanation of what problem it's supposed to be showing.<br />
<br />The plastic clip is broke. There is a plastic piece at the end of the rod that clips onto the ball at each end of the rod.

• 4 months later...

The part number for the 88 pedal is 53005315. I've sent you a PM where that part is available.

53005315    ACCELERATOR PEDAL LINK  U53005185         1987-90 JEEP     1         634   15.00

I got a PM from someone asking me about this thread. I wanted to put out the info that they have discontinued that part as well so this link didn't work either.

• 6 years later...
On 1/6/2014 at 4:00 AM, MJam86 said:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/06/7y6a3ehe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/06/5u7uhare.jpg

I have the exact same problem and I'm curious if you ever found that part?

I need Item #5 in this picture.

Screenshot_20201221-183305_Chrome.jpg

On 12/22/2020 at 12:23 AM, Eagle said:

Thanks man, it led me to this part.

I think this might work, it looks almost identical to the piece that's not staying connected. Not sure if it's a 10mm ball head though. I'm going to see if I can figure out the spec.