"what if" questions thread...

so what happens when you break your rear driveshaft out in the middle of nowhere? i mean, if you can remove it (whether it be from the pavement, dirt, or the truck), could you just throw it in 4 wheel and do FWD home?

the problem i see is tranny fluid leaking from the rear seal.

any reason not to do it in time of need? always wondered what if...

oh, almost forgot to add, there won't be any fluid leaking from your tranny, on a 4wd, your driveshaft feeds power off of the transfer case, but I don't know if that would leak. My guess would be yes... so I don't know if the best solution would be to leave the yoke and stub shaft in the case or pull it out. Kinda depends how far you're going i guess :brows:

We were a good 10 miles out a few years back and a buddy of mine ripped his driveshaft in half (no SYE) we took a ziploc bag and put a rubber band around it on the tailshaft cone and drove it out in front wheel drive. Worked like a charm.

So, what if I do drive on a semi-float axle with a broken shaft?

Oh yeah... What if you've got an aircraft and a runway. The runway is the exact length that is needed for the aircraft to take off at X weight. Now, we throw 1000lbs of pigeons in the back of the plane that is already at X weight. (it is now X + 1000lbs) If we make all the pigeons fly while the aircraft attempts take-off, will it make it before running out of runway?

I thought I remember seeing someone selling a plug ready made for emergency sealing of the Tcase after driveshaft removal... now all I can find is like 3 different patents on the same thing.

And a rubi won't leak because it's not a slip yoke tcase.

I thought I remember seeing someone selling a plug ready made for emergency sealing of the Tcase after driveshaft removal... now all I can find is like 3 different patents on the same thing.

And a rubi won't leak because it's not a slip yoke tcase.

I'll go out to my trail tool box later and see if I can locate the addy for you guys!! (If someone else dosent get to it first.) Its a little gray plastic "cup" with a stem on one end for easier insertion. its held in by the seal and works great!!!

I have a couple of these for just this purpose!! They are not needed on newer T cases as there is no fluid to leak out in them. The factory added or moved some seals around. I am unsure of the date of this change...but its on my 99 and NOT on my 89.......CW

Oh yeah... What if you've got an aircraft and a runway. The runway is the exact length that is needed for the aircraft to take off at X weight. Now, we throw 1000lbs of pigeons in the back of the plane that is already at X weight. (it is now X + 1000lbs) If we make all the pigeons fly while the aircraft attempts take-off, will it make it before running out of runway?

If the pigeons are always in flight , then yes if not then no

There are plugs made " for thus such an emergency " as Bugs Bunny once said. Check the back adds of a JP mag. Also the Plug can be used from what might be found @ a trans. reman shop, slips in the ID of seal & allows rotation of output shaft.

mjcanoe

Wrong... for every action = and opposite reaction. The lift of the birds = weight in the plane. 4.5 years of engineering school that!

Well, for a busted rear shaft... pulling the front might get you moving, but if you wheel in any difficult terrain at all, FWD will do nothing for you...

Happened two weeks ago. Buddy broke rear u-joint. Pulled the rear shaft, and began to spin his front tires with zero forward movement.. Also he was on a hill.. So out came a strap and he got towed out of there, which was an adventure itself when you throw in a rock garden!!!

My plan... if I was to bust a rear shaft, (not a u-joint as I will have spares, unlike my buddy who didnt :nuts: ).. I would pull my busted shaft, and swap in my spare shaft... And when I mean spare shaft, I don't mean a custom shaft built to exact specs. and balanced.. I mean a sqaure shaft that I made at home with spare yokes. Sure the shaft won't be balanced, but it will get you moving under your own power. And if a squre shaft is good enough for the front of my rig, why not the rear to get me out of the trail!!!...

Now for a real question... What if you butter the back of a cat and threw it out the window... Would it land on its feet, or buttered side down???

Ryan

Nevermind! The pigeons flapping to stay in the air will put the same amount of downward force on the plane as if they were landed.... stupid mythbusters.... :D

So... what if someone took what DirtyComanche said as gospel....

"When [pingpong] says 'modding' he means cut the unibody and inner fenders off flush with the front of the cab,make new frame rails in the front,and bend up some tube to hang the sheetmetal from. While you're at it,he strongly advises chopping the rear off,adding more tube and a full exo cage"

truetruggy.jpg