Smittybilt Winches

mpace6a

Since 4wd.com is having a sale, and I've been wanting to buy a winch for a long while now, figured now is as good a time as any to buy one. can't really afford a Warn, don't want to go with a harbour freight...whats everyones opinion on smittbilt winches, specifically the XRC8 and the X20? I've always heard that you should get a winch with twice the capacity of your vehicles weight, don't think my MJ will ever weigh more than 4,000 lbs.

Leaning towards the X20 since its waterproof and has a lower gear ratio, as well as 3/8" cable instead of 5/16". Anyone own either, know someone, opinions about smittybilt as a company?

It'll probably get used the most for pulling my little brothers XJ out of all the holes he likes to get stuck in, since my 2.hate can't do it...yes i should put the money towards an engine, but blah blah.

Anyway, thanks for any input guys.

Just so you know, my nearly completely stock lwb 4.0 auto 4x4 sits at 1900kg (4200lbs) with me, a couple duffle bags of tools, and a spare tire in it. You might want to roll over a scale before assuming it'll never weigh more than 4000lbs.

My 2x4 long bed is more than 3800 lbs close to empty.

Thanks for the correction. I could've sworn i read that MJ's weighed in around 2800-3100lbs, but can't seem to find that anywhere now. I'll have to hit a scale sometime...But general consensus is an 8k winch is plenty for jeep recovery?

Thanks for the correction. I could've sworn i read that MJ's weighed in around 2800-3100lbs, but can't seem to find that anywhere now. I'll have to hit a scale sometime...But general consensus is an 8k winch is plenty for jeep recovery?

3000-ish is for the lightest of all MJs.  2wd/2.5/stickshift/tiny tires/empty tank/tailgate delete etc.

Some of my friends have the XRC8, and have no problems with it. I myself run an XRC10 and it's always been good to me, but last time it let me know it is time for a new battery under the hood.

Have also not heard anything bad yet about the new Badlands winches from Harbor Freight,