Renewing Tail Lights

Remove ,and thoroughly clean/degrease tail lights. Use brown scotchbrite pad ,and water to remove oxidisation from lenses use only enough muscle to do the job. Dry ,and check your work, go at it again if need be.Wipe down completely dry lenses with alcohol ,and a clean cloth.Apply three wet even coats of clear with at least a 10 min. wait between coats (check weather condition reccomendations on can) Let dry ,and reinstall.This is what i used-this is the result--

Wow, they look new!  Curious about the DupliColor clear though ... does it indicate it can be used on plastic?  I'm just wondering how long it will hold up.  I suppose time will tell.  

I recently saw an ad for a Mothers Headlight Restoring Kit.  Blue foam on a post that you put in a drill.  Anyone try it on taillights yet?

Amazing Job dude, I tried it to mine today, and they turned out great.(Couldnt do a lot to the truck due to rain) They were pretty bad, but look new now.  Ill try to put pics up later if you want to see my results. Thanks for sharing man!!!!

Post them up!

No indication on can that says ok for plastic ,but no indication against using it either. Can says high gloss acrylic laquer that goes on easy ,and provides uv protection.That was all i needed to read right there.

Wow, they look new!  Curious about the DupliColor clear though ... does it indicate it can be used on plastic?  I'm just wondering how long it will hold up.  I suppose time will tell.  

I recently saw an ad for a Mothers Headlight Restoring Kit.  Blue foam on a post that you put in a drill.  Anyone try it on taillights yet?

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to do it correctly. I just can't get them to look that good. Where do you find "brown scotch brite pad" I can't seem to find one anywhere. I maybe getting the wrong pad that may be too course. I seem to make no improvements or even make them foggier after they dry from water. How much pressure do you use on the oxidation spots?

I can't seem to do it correctly. I just can't get them to look that good. Where do you find "brown scotch brite pad" I can't seem to find one anywhere. I maybe getting the wrong pad that may be too course. I seem to make no improvements or even make them foggier after they dry from water. How much pressure do you use on the oxidation spots?

Pad is more purple brown ,than brown i guess ,but a regular green one should work. The pad is to remove oxidisation ,and the clear will bring back the shine. The lenses will look dull until you clear them. Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...