Renewing Tail Lights

• 2 months later...

Boy those lights look like the came off the shelf at the dealership!  So the pad you use is like the kitchen scrub pad or did I miss something? Also the DupliColor clear  is that something at the parts store?

Thanks

Mike

• 3 months later...

I saw this post awhile back, before becoming a member. I initially wanted to find factory black trim lights, but quickly found that's a near impossibility, haha. Gave this a try and think it came out pretty good. Just need to clear coat them.

One word of warning though, in my cleaning prep I think I used to harsh of cleaners and gave the lights a slight chemical burn which resulted in a fine, chalky film to form over the lenses, which took forever to get off. 

IMG_20190910_114433229.jpg

Tail Lights.jpg

IMG_20190910_170003064.jpg

• 4 months later...

Boy oh Boy those look really good.  Could tell us what materials you used to make these look that.  I saw your comment about using harsh cleaner and I want to avoid that.

Thanks

Mike

Not having any experience in vehicle related restorations, I did not understand the consequences of using these cleaners on the 33 year old plastic. 

I first brushed off all the loose dirt and grime with a toothbrush. Then sprayed them down with Super Strength Greased Lightning cleaner along with also using Tub O Towels Heavy Duty Cleaning wipes. During this time is when the lenses developed a chalk like film over them. Trying to remove it was a real pain. I soaked them in warm soapy water and rubbed them using a purple Scotch Bright sponge, didn't work. Then moved onto an Armor All head light cleaning kit, which also didn't work removing the film . Ultimately what did work in clearing up the lenses was another lense cleaner called Quality Aerosols Brite Lites. Then right before we applied the clear coat my father used commercial grade jeweler polish to buff the lenses.

To do the trim, I just taped off the centers with painters tape and used Krylon Fusion All-in-One paint and primer matte black spray paint. Applied 3 or 4 coats. Then used Dupli•Color Perfect Match Protective Clear Coat Finish. 

I truly believe the best way to clean the lenses before applying the paint would just be soapy water and some Windex. I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

IMG_20190910_114536835.jpg

IMG_20200410_131640050.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...