87 Comanche

hello I'm new to this forum I'm was wondering if ii could get some advice with a trade of vehicles I have a 85 s10 blazer 4x4 that need some work on the ignition and valve covers and a few other things around where i live there is a guy upstate that has a 87 comance x 4x4 with a 2.8engine and 5 spd trans the engine has a bad knock but the local junkyard has a good engine the replace the motor for a couple of hundred bucks, but is this a trade worth it i really want a comanche truck for fishing and trailriding?

thansk for the response 87manche1

il double check with the owner about the year model but I'm leaning to get it anyways

and as a side note for those who want to know fish in a empty bucket in a suv= it smelling like fish for a week or 2 learned this the first week i had it hope it gives yall a laugh :)

is a 4.0l swap be done on a low budget was thinking of a small diesel in the future when i get the money for it since the diesel swaps run a couple of grand

A 4.0 swap most likely can be done on a much smaller budget than a diesel swap simply because of ease of the swap and the large supply of 4.0's out there.

thanks for the info think it might be possible to get moeny on top of the swap since my blazer is running and his is running but has a bad knock?

about how much does a 4.0l and a possible transmission/transfercase upgrade cost?

and a gm 3.4l cost?

I'm not sure about the gm but a 4.0 with an Ax-15 5speed and a transfer case with the engine wiring harness would probably be around a grand used.

3.4l would be about the same price as another 2.8l, they are basically the same engine except the 3.4l is newer and bigger.

You just bolt your 2.8l parts to it and it bolts right in.

4.0l swap is much more complicated and depending on what you pay for a donor vehicle to do it a lot more money.

i think there are some 3.4l engines that run at a local junkyard but not sure what vehicles did they come in? so Ill know what to look for when I go next time the junkyard manager already thinks I'm crazy since ill just go and walk around the yard and take pics of old rusted vehicles lol

The firewall was changed a but to fit a 4.0 in 87. Some late 86 models have the newer firewall, most do not. Supposedly the needed extra clearance is not much, though, and basically just takes a few good blows with a hammer, no saw required. 87 and newer don't need anything done to the firewall.

The radiator support is a different story.