Fuel Rail Schrader Valve Core Failure

I was checking the fuel pressure today and unscrewed the Schrader valve cap to attach the pressure gauge. The cap was full of fuel! So I unscrewed the valve core and it's rubber seal around the stem was completely disintegrated. I'm guessing I must have had a pneumatic valve stem not rated for fuel and with today's ethanol loaded fuel, it rotted out. Lucky the cap was on tight or things might have got interesting.

I ordered the below Schrader valve and cap rated for fuel injection HERE to be safe in the future. Until it comes in I'll keep my eye on the fuel rail for leaks. Might be a good idea for y'all to check also. :thumbsup:

40.jpg

Wow

Another big thumbs up for the more expensive*, corrosive fuel blends that get horrible mileage,

destroy old vehicles & are being forced on us.

*more expensive because although ethanol is cheaper for us to purchase than gasoline,

that's only true because growing corn for ethanol is HEAVILY subsidized with tax dollars,

hiding the fact that producing ethanol actually costs much much more than gasoline.

Glad you & your Jeep didn't go up in a ball of flames Don

(glad your cigar smoking dog wasn't helping you spin wrenches this time :) )

I was at a buddy's house the other day, and he showed me what was left of a fuel line on his antique harley (don't know the model or year, but it is very old). The rubber hose going to his carburator was melted and gooey. He said it was litteraly brand new, but had sat for a while without running. The ethanol dissolved the rubber. So much for my older holley carbs I have. They have rubber power valves that will more than likely not like ethanol either.

Since Viton o-rings and gaskets are used exclusively on aircraft for fuel related applications, I'll take my chances with it over general purpose rubber.

Your probably right Don,

but even with all Viton gaskets,

the FAA still doesn't trust Ethanol in aircraft.

Probably with good reason --->>> http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/news_cut/archive/2009/08/ethanol_promoter_killed_in_pla.shtml

We can only use the Viton valve stem and the tight sealing metal-to-metal flare cap of course since the valve body is welded to the fuel rail. But since I'm a cheap bastid as most of us are, I'm planning to fab up a pressure brake bleeder with the valve body, so nothing goes to waste. :yes:

*more expensive because although ethanol is cheaper for us to purchase than gasoline,

that's only true because growing corn for ethanol is HEAVILY subsidized with tax dollars,

hiding the fact that producing ethanol actually costs much much more than gasoline.

Not to mention that corn-derived ethanol takes more in fuel to produce than you can get out of it, and takes up valuable farm land that could actually be used for food. If you use sugar cane as your base, you can do a bit better than breaking even on the amount of energy you get out vs the fuel you put in, but that doesn't change how terrible it is as a fuel for engines that don't get rebuilt every few minutes of run-time.

The pump in Betty died a couple weeks ago. When I pulled it out every piece of rubber on the pump and in the tank had turned to goo. It was perfect when I put it in last year. I wonder if it was because the tank was really low and the fumes from the gas attacked the rubber and melted it?

The pump in Betty died a couple weeks ago. When I pulled it out every piece of rubber on the pump and in the tank had turned to goo. It was perfect when I put it in last year. I wonder if it was because the tank was really low and the fumes from the gas attacked the rubber and melted it?

More than likely it was ethanol in the fuel that turned the rubber to goo.