Carpet

This topic has no doubt already been kicked around to death.

I want to put carpet into Bucky when back from the painters.

Covered by some good floor mats of course.

But I would like the group consensus on carpet replacement.

what company did you use?

are you happy with it?

how was the install?

how has it held up?

would you do it again?

what did it cost you?

Any and all tips, feed back, warnings or laughter (photos?) will be appreciated and/or (at the very least) tolerated.

buffalo b

Not an expert, but have done a dozen or so PUs - Always shopped for price mainly because all of my trucks were getting/had buckets & floor consoles so very little carpet visible or was gonna be subjected to wear - The only wear area really was the spot to the right of the gas pedal - Never found a way to avoid wearing through floor mats where my boot/shoes heel grinds through - - - - I always spread carpet on the pavement & let the sun relax the set that the shipping carton creates - - Wife's hair dryer, tin snips & box cutter are the main tools I've used - Pretty straight forward - You'll know it when you get there - - Made a few boo boos of course, like around AC evap box/drain but a little silicone to anchor the repair seam/patch made them go away - I run a pair of 14/12 ga stranded down the center jic I wanna change or add something behind the seats - Use 'em for pull wires so I don't have to yank the console - - - Went cheap on sound deadening/padding cost also - Brushed on lots of RustOleum HD red primer & regular house carpet foam underlayment put down while the primer was still wet - The primer served as an adhesive - the foams easy to cut/shape - figured it'd let moisture evap when my wife/kids dumped Pepsi all over the place - same as in the house - seemed to work ok & easy enuf -

:thumbsup:

Many thanks for the input! I have heard / read not so good things about the company ACC. Also heard that some folks thinking they were ordering carpet from other companies actually recieved ACC product that was being re-sold to them,

I used an ACC carpet when doing my son's civic hatchback years ago (his first car) when he was still in high school. the fit was so-so but as you say with enough time and patience (and heat, glad to hear I was on the right track there),

it came out ok. It seems that this is really the only company name that I seem to run accross. Realizing the age of our trucks and significant lack of aftermarket support, I know options on brand or manufacturer are limited. I just wanted to know if there was anything else out there I should be considering. Again, I would truly welcome any opinions on the subject. A link to a photo thread on install would be great.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=2720&MakeId=14&ModelId=249

Our Jeep Comanche Truck carpets are Heat and Pressure Molded to the original floor pan, and are made with Top Quality auto carpet materials. This aftermarket carpet fits your 1986-1992 Jeep Comanche Truck Regular Cab just like OEM when installed and is Guaranteed to fit, with no defects. May require trimming to install. See our Auto Carpet Install Instructions for details. Unless otherwise noted, the mildew resistant jute padding is heat bonded to the backside of the carpet and a heel pad is welded to the correct location. This item will fit the following years: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992. Optional custom Embroidered Logos are available for select years of Jeep Comanche Truck Floor Mats!

http://www.stockinte...=14&ModelId=249

Our Jeep Comanche Truck carpets are Heat and Pressure Molded to the original floor pan, and are made with Top Quality auto carpet materials. This aftermarket carpet fits your 1986-1992 Jeep Comanche Truck Regular Cab just like OEM when installed and is Guaranteed to fit, with no defects. May require trimming to install. See our Auto Carpet Install Instructions for details. Unless otherwise noted, the mildew resistant jute padding is heat bonded to the backside of the carpet and a heel pad is welded to the correct location. This item will fit the following years: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992. Optional custom Embroidered Logos are available for select years of Jeep Comanche Truck Floor Mats!

Thanks for the info...have you used these guys?

If so what options ( standard or high zoot cut pile, standard or $$ backing) did you use?

Did it go in well? look ok? hold up ok (fading etc)? would you do it again?

Glad to know there are options...

Buffalo b

I got a replacement carpet from that website. Standard carpet with standard backing. It fit very well. Just be careful when you cut the hole out for the shifter(s).

It has held up very well since I put it in 4 years ago. I have some bad stains on it. I may get another one in black to replace the grey one.

absolutely what I was after thank you very much for all the input

Butchershop your install pics look great and are very helpful thanks. I hope my interior efforts turn out half as good.

Anyone else done this from the same folks, and used the higher end (read more $$) cut pile with the mass backing? (read even more $$$)

Presently my truck still has the original vinyl and padding and in prettyt poor shape. both are dumpster bound...

(plus I cut them both up pretty good putting the AEV cable shifter kit in for the NP231).

I was debating on carpet from stock interior or from ACC. I went with ACC with the mass backing .Stock interior with mass backing was 200 bucks shipped. ACC from RockAuto was 162 shipped. I talked to Alexia who just got one from ACC and was happy with it.

I was debating on carpet from stock interior or from ACC. I went with ACC with the mass backing .Stock interior with mass backing was 200 bucks shipped. ACC from RockAuto was 162 shipped. I talked to Alexia who just got one from ACC and was happy with it.

Hope you post up some input once you recieve it. I am going to get to a point here pretty soon where I need to make up my mind and get an order placed.

Really appreciate all the response.....

• 1 year later...

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying carpet on eBay.  Got some color samples and found the exact color to match that of the lower section of gray "Country" XJ interior panels I have for my truck. 

The content of the ebay ad reads;

"Premium quality formed carpet set. For your show car or your daily driver. You can't beat our Price and Quality. For more about our carpets, see our carpet information page. All carpets are formed to fit your specific application. You will need to cut any holes in your new carpet for seat bolts, etc. and may need to trim around the edges. All carpets come with new 1/2" jute pad, heel pad, and a new dimmer grommet (where applicable), unless noted otherwise."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331189410729?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_8332wt_908  

At $140 shipped, it sounds too good to be true. But, damn, the carpet matches perfectly.  Anyone have any experiece with this seller?

I'm about to pull the trigger on buying carpet on eBay.  Got some color samples and found the exact color to match that of the lower section of gray "Country" XJ interior panels I have for my truck. 

The content of the ebay ad reads;

"Premium quality formed carpet set. For your show car or your daily driver. You can't beat our Price and Quality. For more about our carpets, see our carpet information page. All carpets are formed to fit your specific application. You will need to cut any holes in your new carpet for seat bolts, etc. and may need to trim around the edges. All carpets come with new 1/2" jute pad, heel pad, and a new dimmer grommet (where applicable), unless noted otherwise."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331189410729?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_8332wt_908  

At $140 shipped, it sounds too good to be true. But, damn, the carpet matches perfectly.  Anyone have any experiece with this seller?

You be our guinea pig and let us know, I'm in the market for carpet soon too.

• 3 months later...

It's been a couple months, but I finally bought the carpet I wrote of earlier.  I'm on vacation next week (yay) and hope to install the new purchase.  I'll take lots of pictures and will share my review. 

The new carpet arrived ... looks good and the color is spot on.  The jute backing is 1/2" as advertised, but I discoverd that's also half the thickness of the stock carpet backing.  I planned to put some sound deadening material in anyway, so I guess it won't be too bulky.

The good news is there wasn't any moisture in the carpet or pad.

One question/concern ... there were two pieces of white, fiberous material wrapped in plastic.  I wore gloves and a mask when I took it off the backing.  I can't imagine they were still using asbestos in 1990, but the material runs front to back of the cab right over the exhaust.  There was also a triangular piece in the passenger footwell against the firewall.  It's dry, so I'm going to put it back in whe I install the carpet. 

00404_fL7eExN70Nj_600x450.jpg