Hurry Help Before Sunday!

So I just got done looking at a 1988 4.0L 4x4 Comanche. here's my problem, it won't start. The current owner just got done with a headgasket and now the vehicle won't start. He puts the key in and it turns over but then dies. Then when you try to start it, it doesnt turn over again. the main fuel line to the injecters was loose and was spittting fuel so I think it might not be the pump. Nor the battery cause the car was being jumped. The price is right I'm just on the fence about what it could be. I'm not new to mechanical work just jeeps and have always wanted a Comanche. One more thing there is clicking noise coming from the relays to the right of the engine (if thats anything)

I'm also a little worried about how the car might have been put back together after the headgasket. Not one of the most intellegent person was working on it and I found several loose odds and ends during the initial look.

That can work to your advantage sometimes. "Okay $400 is all the wife is allowing me to spend. You know how that is, right?"

I think your description of the problem is misleading. "Turning over" is when the starter motor causes the engine to rotate. "Turning over" is not "starting" or "firing."

Are you saying that the engine initially will start, then die ... then WON'T start when you try again? How long do you have to wait before it will start again?

And back to the first post, the clicking is just the fuel pump relay turning the fuel pump on for a second or so to build initial pressure.

If the problem is the ballast resisitor, easiest fix is to just bypass it. 87 models didn't even come with one from the factory, and its only purpose is to quiet down the fuel pump some so customers wouldn't complain about a loud fuel pump. The computer bypasses it on start and during WOT.

Mine wouldn't start when I bought it, either. The PO dropped the price to $400 and delivered it 60 miles to my place on a flatbed trailer (I think he wanted to get rid of it). After 1/2 hour in my possession it was runnin' down the road. I've put 10-12K miles on it since then, through an over everything I've wanted to tackle...GET IT.

Other than that...get it!

I'd grab it!

Yes!!

GO.

Ad is still up...says interior is rough...mine was/is rougher than that appears, ran on 4-5 cylinders but did drive 100 miles home with my Harley in the back...mine not as straight, but original paint.

All in all, except for the paint job, that one looks to be better than mine was. I paid $1200.And only recently got it fairly reliable, still has a VERY noisy dana 35.

Used wheels/tires, my time and some jy parts, some new stuff, I am over 2k probably now...

Niceville would be about a 5-600 mile round trip for me...

IF you really want a mj...don't wait! $$$ talks. LOUD.