Drivetrain Suggestions Please

Hi, I just bought a comanche with a gm 2.8 liter v6. I live in an area with alot of steep hills and needless to say, I just can't drive it because of that. I HAVE to swap this crappy engine out for something better. So what are my options here? Does the 4.0 HO swap in easily? what about a 350 chevy swap? http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm there is some good information here on that kind of swap.

Also, If i do the v8 swap, instead of stopping at the transmission, could I just use the entire drivetrain of the chevy setup (350, th350, np205, driveshaft, corporate 14 bolt)? Any help would be appreciated.

You might look to the V6 Camaro/Firebird tuners for "making it better", since afaik that's the only factory rwd application of the 3.4, but I think Pete was referring to your existing 2.8.

Personally, your best bet for a 3.4 would be to find a '93-'95 v6 F-body, and the engine should drop in — or at least bolt in, there's still a pile of electrical stuff to do. Google 2.8 to 3.4 swap, and you should find a plethora of information from the s10 community. Although that XJ link looks pretty darn useful.

I was looking up doing a swap like that sometime last summer, but can't for the life of me remember why... something to do with a Lada, maybe? :dunno:

Yeah the only problem is, (even though I am sixteen) I am pretty old school in that I want a carburetor and am pretty adamant about it. I am thinking about doing the following..

Get a 3.4 from a camaro 91-95.

Upgrade the fuel and air flow going in with:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3785/

With a 4 Barrel adaper:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3789/

and putting this carb on top:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-8007/

And then doing a true cold air intake system in the form of a snorkel

Then of course updating my airflow going out:

exhaust headers (though I am not sure what to get. would the camaro headers they sell work with out trucks? something like this?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacesetter-Headers-93-95-Camaro-3-4L-/190530167217

Then, since I will be using this truck to haul things with as well, an updated camshaft:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-253902/

Do any of you see any problems with doing any of these modifications? I think it would be a good start. Then I can do some machining and bore the cylinders out to get more power. All input is appreciated

Just about all I can tell you is that the Camaro only had the 3.4 from '93 to '95. In 91-92 it was a 3.1 and in 96 it was replaced by the 3.8, a completely different engine. If you're just going to bore the cylinders out anyway, you might want to look into doing all of this to your existing block. It did get somewhat reinforced to get it to 3.4, iirc, and I don't know how much you can go beyond that. Maybe look into stroking it? You might want to look to the S10 people to see what you can do with your 2.8, or what they do with a 3.4. It's not the most uncommon swap, and I believe Summit Racing sells complete 3.4 assemblies.

As far as anything else goes, all I can do is push stuff into google.

Yeah there isn't much information on the swap when talking about performance. especially carbureted 3.4's.

I was thinking bore it and maybe stroke it only if it doesn't put out the torque that i'd like. Optiions are limited here sadly...

does anyone know what is behind the v6's on the comanche? were there multiple options for the transfer case? I know I have the auto 5 speed but am not sure what tranny that actually is. (I am a chevy guy can ya tell?)

IIRC, if you wanted, you could swap in a TBI version of the 2.8; don't know if it suffers the same bottom end issues as the carbureted version though. I believe Jim (Jimoshel) was going to do a TBI swap, but can't recall if he ever did or not.

I thought about doing a swap to a 3.4 after spending time reading up on Pete's guide buried deep in the Tech forums; but it's not going to justify for being there with the very nominal gains in HP/Torque when it's all said and done. I'd be gaining only 30HP/50LB; more than I'd ever see with the 2.5, but not as much as I'd want.

As told by Wikipedia....

"LL2"

Another LL2 ("R-code") with throttle body fuel injection was produced from 1986 to 1993. Output of the TBI version was 125 hp.

Applications:

• 1986–1993 Chevrolet S-10 / Chevrolet S-10 Blazer
  • 1986–1993 GMC S-15 / GMC S-15 Jimmy
  • 1989–1991 Isuzu Trooper

I'm fairly certain that you can still retain your Carb. when you swap in a 3.4 liter. I've seen others do it before, so I'm assuming it's not a hard thing to do; I'm not sure what's required to make it work though, aside from being clever and handy with knowhow. :dunno: IIRC, the 2.8 only came with the AX-5 and the A904 (3 Speed auto w/ overdrive) tranny the 2.5s got. You do not want a 3 speed, automatic overdrive; no matter how nice it is. As far as transfer-cases go, I believe the 2.8 only received the Command-Trac (Part-Time 4WD) system. Since the 2.8 / 3.4 has a GM bellhousing, you might be able to swap in an S-10 transfer case system, but I don't know if the input shafts are going to be a problem, since it will have a totally different spline count / possibly differ with positioning it on the frame to match the MJ's setup.

Have you thought about gears? You can pour money on your engine but if your gearing sucks your truck isn't gonna be much better.

From town to my house I climb about 1300ft in a very short distance,the hills here are know for killing transmissions but my MJ with 4.88s and a 4cyl walks right up with ease.

Yeah, even NASCAR doesn't use them any more. That's probably the biggest argument against them. I'm a big fan of the fuel being completely shut off when coasting, too. Even with the throttle closed, the the venturis in the carb will still keep sucking in the fuel.

Also, worth pointing out, the L44 (injected 2.8, used in 6000STE as one example) made 140hp, while the LH7 (it's carbed predecessor) made 135 hp. That's a 4% increase. Scale that to the 160hp 3.4, and the carb is down to around 153 horsepower. That's going with stock numbers, I'm sure there's more to extract from either engine. But if you're going with an injected engine, may as well stick with injection.

Pretty much everyone who has swapped in a 3.4L for the 2.8L has been very satisfied with the results. It's a better, smoother-ruuning engine that also produces more horsepower. And what it WON'T do is create all the cooling problems that plague the small-block Chevy V8 conversions.

Smallblocks require more cooling than 3.4's or 2.8's. Hence there are cooling issues plaguing the conversion, in that it's more work than simply hooking up the stock cooling system to the new engine. Obviously once you sort out what it needs, and accomplish that, you won't continue to have issues. The issue is getting to that point.

Right, all smallblock conversions are plagued with cooling issues. That's an ignorant statement.

He didn't say all. He also specified Chevy small block swaps. Which many, many of them had cooling issues. Get off your damn soap box.

Some GM engine info:

2.8, 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 L engines are all 60 degree V engines. They have a different transmission bolt pattern from all other rear wheel drive engines including the 2.5 4 cyl , 4.3 V-6 and 5.0 and 5,7 L V-8s, which are all the same.

Much useful information can be found at:http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters.htm in the knowledge section and at: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/index.php

A GM NP231C has a 5 bolt mounting pattern and is incompatible with Jeep transmissions the standard Jeep transfer case uses a 6 bolt pattern. One interesting fact is that the NP231C used in first generation S-10's and S-15's have a 6 pinion planetary and a wider 1.25 inch chain than the stock NP231J found in Jeeps which have a 3 pinion planetary reduction and a 1 inch wide chain. I have swapped these parts into my 2005 TJ's transfer case increasing it's strength and reducing the noise when in four low.

Embrace fuel injection, its much easier to diagnose than keeping a carburetor in tune with your performance mindset. You'll always be disappointed.

Read the LungHD article thoroughly, he did the all homework for you. Just copy, sign your name and get an "A".

Or save up a couple hundred bucks and get a wrecked XJ donor and swap everything over.

Right, all smallblock conversions are plagued with cooling issues. That's an ignorant statement.

It's not an ignorant statement. It's a statement based on multiple observations over the course of 24 years of owning and driving Xjs. I've seen many small-blocks in XJs, and they have ALL had cooling problems. If it weren't a persistent problem, it wouldn't come up so often on so many Jeep forums. Are there some people who have made it work? Sure -- but it won't happen by accident, and it costs money. If the goal is just to gain a bit of power and reliability over a 2.8L, doing the small-block V8 conversion is a waste of money and effort.

Some GM engine info:

2.8, 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 L engines are all 60 degree V engines. They have a different transmission bolt pattern from all other rear wheel drive engines including the 2.5 4 cyl , 4.3 V-6 and 5.0 and 5,7 L V-8s, which are all the same.

What 2.5L engine are you referring to here, the Iron Duke? The Jeep 2.5L has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 2.8L/3.4L V6.