Ford Ranger Rear Springs........

Easier to get, Rangers are everywhere, and the explorer springs are almost identical in pin to eye measurement as the comanche. Theoretically, better ride, slight lift and $50 a pair at any yard, all good reasons if you ask me.

Eric

The springs are 26" front the front to the pin and 31" from the rear to the pin (57" long). My buddy is actually looking for a set of the same sized springs for his J20 and compiled a bit of a list for the lengths. You will need to look into the arches for them though as well as the pin placement (we're rebuilding the whole rear frame so pin placement and arch weren't too much of a concern).

76-92 Wagoneer, Full size Cherokee, J 10 or J 20.

86-92 MJ

86-06 Dodge Dacota pickup

93-03 Dodge Durange

97-03 F 150/F250(2wd or gvwr less than 8k)

80-96 F150 2wd only

91-94 Exploder

86-06 Ranger

So a Ranger is the correct length but keep an eye on the arch and pin placement.

Yes, the measurements from pin to eye AND overall lengthare the important factors........ These are the specs for the Comanche, All years

DaytonLineArt%20019.jpg

(A) 26" (B) 31" © 10 1/4" (D) 1 1/2" capacity 1280 lbs. $174.68 ea.

These are the specs for the Explorer 1991 to 2001

leaf%20spring%2021.jpg

(A) 25 11/16" (B) 30 15/16" © 6 1/2" (D) 1 7/8 capacity 1100 lbs. $128.78 ea.

These are the specs for the Ranger 1986 to 2003

leaf%20spring%2021.jpg

(A) 25 5/8" (B) 31" © 6" (D) 1 1/2" Capacity 1250 lbs. $77.95 ea.

Pin Placement for the Ranger is almost perfect, But looking at measurement "C" it apears that these springs would lower the truck nearly 4" (bad) but a spring over with one of the explorer options would give just a slight lift over stock. After this research I have found that the Comanche has considerably more arch than prety much anything out there, this raises a huge question for me. If all the springs that I have looked at have less arch than the stock comanche how does a bastard pack with AAL give any lift? Everything that I looked at has less arch then the stock comanche springs, including the infamous Dakota/Durango and S10 springs that are suggested so often here. I think I would like to hear from sombody that has some real spring experience to explain this to me, you know? like I'm an idiot, because that's how I'm starting to feel.

Thanks for any help

Eric

• 7 years later...

Bringing back an old thread. Doing some research and found this. I am actually planning on doing this to my 86 project. Wanting to keep it at around 4" of lift. Stock MJ springs are shot and drivers side is broke. Swapping a XJ Chrysler 8.25 in but didn't want the almost 5-6" lift that is said to be gained by doing so with stock MJ springs. If my figures are correct it should only give about 1-2" of lift over the factory setup on the MJ. Going to pick up Ranger leafs tomorrow will post more when axle is in

55 minutes ago, resurrection_mj said:

Swapping a XJ Chrysler 8.25 in but didn't want the almost 5-6" lift that is said to be gained by doing so with stock MJ springs.

don't forget that XJ perches will be in the wrong location for an MJ :L: 

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

don't forget that XJ perches will be in the wrong location for an MJ :L: 

how far off? I measured from perch to perch on the 35 out of the MJ and 8.25 out of XJ. Measured out the same. Measured outside to outside. Are the center pin holes different? I’ve read this a couple places about being different. Could you elaborate on this for me? 

I want to say that's Don's handiwork.  :L: 

yup, it's only 3/4" per side and while that doesn't seem like much (you can force it with a crowbar), it's more than enough that one shackle inevitably wins over the other and ruins both of them in the process.  :( 

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

custom shacles can take of that can't they? the offset is not that bad

It's still pulling your front bushings away from each other in the same manner.  it appears that shackle bushings just seem to go bad first.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

It's still pulling your front bushings away from each other in the same manner.  it appears that shackle bushings just seem to go bad first.

well, same goes for the front, offset shacles/mounts are easier to build that perches arent they?

59 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

well, same goes for the front, offset shacles/mounts are easier to build that perches arent they?

Send like a ton of work compared to just moving the perchs.

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

to each his own

offset mounts/shackles are more plug n play friendly and you can easily undo them, or move them to a diferent truck, you can go SOA without messing with the axle...

but to each his own...

I am curious as to what an offset front mount would look like.  :thinking:

Remember outboarding the springs on a CJ? Same thing, I guess. That was usually because the cast in perch on a waggy 44 couldn't be moved.

Mounting a pair of spring perches on an axle is easy peasy. The diagram above is great info. Especially with a unibody, or MJ thin frame, I wouldn't mess with trying to fab 4 mounts, maintain everything parallel and square. You are creating an opportunity for a mistake, when there is already an Occam's Razor solution.

Well hell, since we are talking about super complicated ways to solve simple problems, why not talk to a spring manufacturer. Get them to design and bend a spring that has two bends, one front and rear, for each leaf. Make it so that those bends move the eye ends over compared to the centering pin. That should compensate for the 3/4" difference in axles. Easily reversible and completely bolt on.

6 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Well hell, since we are talking about super complicated ways to solve simple problems, why not talk to a spring manufacturer. Get them to design and bend a spring that has two bends, one front and rear, for each leaf. Make it so that those bends move the eye ends over compared to the centering pin. That should compensate for the 3/4" difference in axles. Easily reversible and completely bolt on.

yeah, 2 pieces of bent steel joined by 2 bolts are waaay too complicated for anyone to build...