Project 4Banger

So just to document a bit of my list for the ax15 swap...

Ax15- $150 off craigslist (From a 93 yj internal slave)

Np231- $40 craigslist (from a 96 grand Cherokee)

23 spline yoke- $10 (Jy)

External slave bearing retainer part# 18887.03 - $12 (Jy)

Clutch fork retaining clip- $1 (Jy)

Ax15 crossmember- $15 (Jy)

Clutch fork- $15 (Jy)

Throw out bearing $30 (rockauto)

External slave cylinder and master cylinder(2)- $100 (Jy)

New slave cylinder(as both blew out trying to install)-$30

Rockauto

Center force clutch disc part# 383824- $105 shipped (Amazon)

Advance adaptors pilot bearing part# 716167- $30 shipped

Transmission mount-$20 (local auto parts)

Ax15 xj transmission bracket-$20 shipped (eBay)

96 dodge Dakota 2.5 external slave bell housing- $50 (Jy)

Front and rear driveshafts- $300 (had to recut rear shaft twice/my mistake not measuring for 1" yoke movement)

What's left to get is the boostwerks transfer case linkage $50 shipped....

Well today I was finally able to get the wj booster and master cylinder in...and tried deleting the load sensing valve but fell into a weird spot....

I originally plugged the front portion of the distribution block..

Then plugged another spot down in the back of the truck where the load sensing valve is located....

When I went to bleed the brakes there was no fluid coming out and my dad still had his foot on the brake pedal. Hmmm weird...,

I went back to the distribution block and removed the plugged section and fluid gushed out as my dad still had his foot on the brake...,

I plugged that back in and removed the bottom portion of the block which leads to the rear brakes at the diff and my dad pushed the pedal and it got stiff and no fluid came out...

Weird, as I just noticed I've been driving around for 2 weeks or God knows how long with no rear brakes!!!!

So what I did was used the brake line to the sensing valve to the back and rerouted that line to use straight to the rear diff and plug the bottom of the distribution block...

Which I'm going to do later down the week...

No pics as I was trying to get it done but ran into that problem...Ill get more pics when I get back to the truck

I think this is normal, no? Maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe the main rear brake line goes through the height valve, and the other line only opens if there's a fault in the front brakes.

Well that's going to change...hoping to get equal pressure front and rear with the wj booster and master cylinder and 8.25 disc swap in the future....

Brakes are done! Let's just say this thing brakes better than my 98 xj...wow! I suggest this to anyone that wants to add the wj booster and master cylinder and sensing valve delete.....

Also the lines cleared the window washer bottle...

Ah and added a 6" billet antenna...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful Truck!

Thank you sir,

Well plans didn't come as I expected,

Code inspector came by and told me I had to get get rid of my jeep pile, or I'll pay a fine, so 8.25 is out of the build plans and amc 20 is going back in....and store the rest of my stuff in a storage unit until I buy a 8x10 storage unit)

Just gotta find a weekend to do it....most likely the end of October because time change is coming soon and I'll need as much daylight to get this axle in...

• 2 weeks later...

Dana 35 is out- amc 20 in place, will button up the rest tomorrow after work, main goal today was to get the axle under the truck.. an hour and a half isn't that bad is it?

Sucks that I have to do it again but it's all worth it at the end right?

And after a few years of ordering I rockauto to try and get This specific magnet and I guess the stars aligned, I finally got it! Whoo!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I bashed the poly brown dog motor mounts for being to rough (too much vibration) but I decided to give the rubber ones a chance, considering I was looking the other day that the tip of the bolt for the passenger side motor mount is only about 1/2"-3/4"away from the alternator power wire. I decided to get the mounts for stability and if I'm offoroading I don't want issues later down the line....

• 2 weeks later...
  • neohic featured and unfeatured this topic