1988 Jeep Comanche Aka The Penny Sniffer ,pic Heavy

This is a perfect example for the people that think a v8 swap will be a piece of cake.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

Not say its not awesome and that once its done it will be worth all the work. Its just simply more time, money, and work than I want to get into. Too many little hiccups here and there that I don't want to deal with. For me my goal is more power and easiest install. Time is worth more than money (to a reasonable extent) to me at this point. Owning a business and having a full time job plus getting married in less than a year, translates to me not having that much free time, and my goal is to get his thing back on the beach asap. Because when I do have free time, thats where I like to spend it. I appreciate everyone giving their opinions, that's what forums are about, helping others and giving them advice. But for me a 4.0 stroker is the best choice right now.

That's a 5.3 not a 350. Big difference in simple swap doing that.

Simple swap would be a 350/700r4/231 with TBI injection.

If you want simple and fast throw a bone yard 4.0 in it and build your engine into a stoker. A stroker is not to be rushed.

but you are still running into the issues of, motor mounts, adapters, the headers having enough clearance against the frame rails, hood clearance.....ect. This is not a DD I will leave the current motor in the truck so I can still move it around in the drive way. I will purchase a 96+ 4.0. I have a buddy that is going to sell me one he has that ran when it was pulled for $200.00. I will also start buying parts as funds allow. Then I will drop it off to the machines for machining and assembly by him. Not to mention The last year gm was using the 350 tbi was 95 I believe? It put out only 200Hp and 300Tq. Why would I go through all that work to swap in a TBI 350 when the stroker would out perform it by atleast 60hp and 20Tq?

I can't argue with the OP too much.  ANY V8 in an XJ/MJ has got to be a total bi^#h to work on all crammed in there like that.  A healthy 4.0 or mild stroker would be quite nice.  Now if you wanted to be really cool you'd try a vee-dub TDI swap (mostly so I could watch another one before I attempt mine ;) )

• 10 months later...

Still got to put the 1 ton steering back on and retighten everything, then order the custom driveshaft. But it's been a long time coming. Parts and tires sitting for two years. She is finally sitting one 35inch Baja claws and 9.5" of lift. Gunna be the baddest beach rig on Matagorda island.

• 2 weeks later...

still waiting on the replacement tie rod end from Serious offroad. Finally shipped yesterday. Hopefully next weekend I will have the time to put the steering on, tighten everything up and take her for a spin around the block to get a alignment. Does anybody know if they adjust your track bar also when getting a alignment?

I would think any competent experienced shop, can and should adjust the track bar if needed. Makes it extremely difficult to get it rolling straight and true, if it's "dog tracking" among other symptoms.

• 1 month later...

Got the steering and sway bars on and tightened everything up for a little test drive to let every settle to see where it sits. It definitely drives like a different truck now. I thought I was pretty close on the length of where the long arms needed to be but looks like I was way off, so is the track bar. Needs a lot more dialing in and a alignment, but one step closer to getting it on the beach for the summer to get the last bit of life out of the motor before It gets a rebuild.  Also Went to put the front drive shaft on but couldn't find the bolts or straps, so got some more coming from rock auto, but it looks like the length is still going to be fine and it will work.

Its pretty dead on level now. I had bought some adjustable shackles thinking that after the lift in the front the rear would be sagging a little and it would need some more lift in the back to get it level but looks like it leveled out perfect without them. You can tell from the picture that the front axle is sitting a little more back than it should. Need to adjust the upper arms to get the pinion angle right and the lowers to push the axle out more.

mines all over the place

front axle is a Scout II Dana 44 retubed for a drivers side pumpkin, the spring perches fabbed onto it has 2.5" lift built in it. as well as the control arm brackets are extended about two inches aft to correct for geometry

with 7.5" springs ontop of that netting 10" of lift

custom control arms

rear is typical SOA on another Scout II Dana 44, with not so common 3/4 eliptical setup made from a toyota leaf spring with a shackle from a 2011 avalanche

works great, will three link it some day but the setup performs flawless so far

front driveshaft came out of a grand cherokee for the extra length. the stock tubing was replaced with 1/4' thick DOM

mines all over the place

front axle is a Scout II Dana 44 retubed for a drivers side pumpkin, the spring perches fabbed onto it has 2.5" lift built in it. as well as the control arm brackets are extended about two inches aft to correct for geometry

with 7.5" springs ontop of that netting 10" of lift

custom control arms

rear is typical SOA on another Scout II Dana 44, with not so common 3/4 eliptical setup made from a toyota leaf spring with a shackle from a 2011 avalanche

works great, will three link it some day but the setup performs flawless so far

front driveshaft came out of a grand cherokee for the extra length. the stock tubing was replaced with 1/4' thick DOM

What gears are you using an size tires? Auto or Manual trans and 4.0L?

Had a chance to get a little work done on the mj last night that i have been meaning to for a year or two now. Had to get a bigger hi-lift jack cause the other wouldn't get the tires off the ground. I decided to mount it in the bed.

Just started reading your build and you did some great work. I lifted mine and stuck the 8.8 under and rolled it outside the past two years and am now getting ready to start back up and you've given me a lot to think about doing. Props on tge build. Can't wait to see the 4.7. Might have to do with the 4.0 h.o I have.