why is my comanche so slow

I have a 1989 4.0l 2wd and it is slow as dog $#!& the speedometer only goes up to 85 mph. so what is the big difference in that motor or new 4.0l's how come they top out higher. what can i do to go faster, i mean come on I like to cruise on the highway at 80 mph. that is a big motor to be so slow. :fs1:

did this slowness come on quickly or slowly? also, what size are those tires?

I mean it hasnt got slower or nothing I just don't feel comfortable driving a truck thats speedometer only goes to 85 and 80mph, and i want to know what is the difference in the newer 4.0l's and mine and how to get mine to the new 4.0l top speed.

pretty sure an MJ was not designed to go 80mph down the freeway. Just because the speedo says it will does not mean its a good idea. Are there no speed limits where you are?

The speed limit here is 70 on the freeway but i tend to have a heavy foot and drive 75-80 but in my mj I just stay at 70-75 75 at the most. and I know the mj is not designed to going 80 down the freeway but if the xj's speedo say 140 you would assume that it could easily go 100 no problem and so it would be safe to cruise at 80. I am just wonder what would make my truck capable of those speeds. comanche.gif

The numbers on the speedometer have nothing to do with how fast a vehicle can go.

most vehicles from the 1980s speedos only go to around 85 it doesn't mean that's as fast as they can go and having one that reads higher doesn't mean its faster.

Top speed between a Renix 4.0l truck and a 4.0l HO truck is about the same.

And FWIW a 2.5l MJ will go over 85mph.

The numbers on the speedometer have nothing to do with how fast a vehicle can go.

most vehicles from the 1980s speedos only go to around 85 it doesn't mean that's as fast as they can go and having one that reads higher doesn't mean its faster.

Top speed between a Renix 4.0l truck and a 4.0l HO truck is about the same.

And FWIW a 2.5l MJ will go over 85mph.

:agree: Yeah i got you the only difference I have found is

4.0 Litre

173 hp (129 kW) @ 4500 rpm 220 lb·ft (300 N·m) @ 2500 rpm 1987

177 hp (132 kW) @ 4500 rpm 224 lb·ft (304 N·m) @ 2500 rpm 1988−1990

190 hp (142 kW) @ 4750 rpm 225 lb·ft (305 N·m) @ 2400 rpm 1991−1996

Don't know what the actual top speed is, as I never hit it, but when my truck was still stock I've had it close to 100 (as recorded by my GPS) passing two cars and a semi truck in a single move.

100 is way faster than a pickup truck needs to be able to go.

you wish! ha! :D

but seriously, bigger tires will both make the truck feel sluggish and make the speedo read lower than you're actually going. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Check your speedo with a GPS. Probably a good idea to keep from getting tickets, too, since you're more than likely going faster than indicated due to the tire size.

Shoot... My ZJ can go 120.

298509_247248408645987_100000824882082_640911_1285856524_n.jpg

Rob

haha! ive had my buddies grand over 120 to where the speedo was almost touching the orange line where odometer is. funny as hell. it was shaking so violently and he was freaking out telling me, "don't you think we should slow down?".. and it was HIS zj! :rotf:

but seriously, bigger tires will both make the truck feel sluggish and make the speedo read lower than you're actually going. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Check your speedo with a GPS. Probably a good idea to keep from getting tickets, too, since you're more than likely going faster than indicated due to the tire size.

I have lifted it 4.5 but haven't put bigger tire on it yet and if i was to put the 32x11.5 r15's all i need to do is change the speedo gear and bigger gears in the rear to make it now drink fuel right ????

Pretty much you regear it and if the speedo is still off then you swap the speedo gear.

For now your truck should drive ok with 32s and stock gears,just GPS your speed so you know how far the speedos off then just adj for it.

My truck at 60 is doing a little over 70 so I just keep that in mind when I'm driving.

Up till recently my 2.5l MJ was getting daily driven on the freeway with a 6.5" lift 33x12.5 tires and 3.55 gears

waoh, i never said anything about going fast in my jeep. i don't, period. i do 65 on the interstate, IF i even get on there. that was a 96 zj iirc with a 4.0. i was amazed it went that fast! i was just commenting on Robs post :thumbsup:

waoh, i never said anything about going fast in my jeep. i don't, period. i do 65 on the interstate, IF i even get on there. that was a 96 zj iirc with a 4.0. i was amazed it went that fast! i was just commenting on Robs post :thumbsup:

No, sorry, I just used the quote for the OP.

Around here the CHP would be on you like flies on s@%t for going 85 (especially in a Jeep), boom, arrested, not just a ticket.

65-70 OK - 85 is ridiculous.

pretty sure an MJ was not designed to go 80mph down the freeway. Just because the speedo says it will does not mean its a good idea. Are there no speed limits where you are?

The speed limit here is 70 on the freeway but i tend to have a heavy foot and drive 75-80 but in my mj I just stay at 70-75 75 at the most. and I know the mj is not designed to going 80 down the freeway but if the xj's speedo say 140 you would assume that it could easily go 100 no problem and so it would be safe to cruise at 80. I am just wonder what would make my truck capable of those speeds. comanche.gif

I've never seen a normal XJ with a speedo at 140, plus they were limited to around 97 or so. These things aren't speed demons

My speedo goes to 180

KMPH. Got one for my Jtruck too, but I figured out it has to turn 4600 RPM to go 180 MPH with 38" tires, 4.10 gears and .7 AW4 O/D in high range. Don't think my stroker has quite enough power with only 300 HP at 3800 RPM

Shoot... My ZJ can go 120.

298509_247248408645987_100000824882082_640911_1285856524_n.jpg

Rob

haha! ive had my buddies grand over 120 to where the speedo was almost touching the orange line where odometer is. funny as hell. it was shaking so violently and he was freaking out telling me, "don't you think we should slow down?".. and it was HIS zj! :rotf:

my Boss's Hummer H2

417770_3210117212347_1248744812_3369202_2114760940_n.jpg

well we where not really going that fast.. his cluster is broke...

my 4.7L 05 WK speedometer tops out at 140 MPH i think. however the GPS, and radar gun.., top out much higher.