1991 4.0L daily driver/weekend wheeler build

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those seats look very comfortable! Are you going with the newer '97+ windshield molding or are you staying with the factory clips and trim? The paint on your truck kills me; it just looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

I am pretty happy with the seats. The bolsters are relatively small and that makes it easier to get in and out of. I initially wanted 2 door XJ seats but could not find a nice set around here. The Corbeau's I got are designed to be a direct replacement for TJ seat, so they were relatively easy to adapt into the MJ.

We cut all of the windshield molding tabs off before painting the truck. They will be installing a '97-up windshield. I like the one piece trim better and wanted it black since the rest of the truck is either blue or black.

1. Those seats (Corbeau Moab??) do look comfortable... any more details/pics on them? I'd really like to get my bucket seats fixed or replaced.

2. What floormats do you have?

3. Does that dye actually hold-up?

1. They are the Corbeau Moabs. I need to take the passenger's side out tomorrow to make it easier to finish the install of my little sub. I'll take a few pics of how I mounted them. I think they are comfortable, but I know that is subjective. I am 6'0" and weight about 170 lbs. The seat bottoms are great, but I am not sure if the seat back would be comfortable for anyone much wider than me. The seat back bolsters are a tad more aggressive than they appear in the pics, so if you are bigger around than me, they may not be comfortable in your back.

Also, if you are over 6'2, I would not recommend them. I spent about 3-4 evenings mocking up the seat mount brackets to get the seat positioned perfectly. The seat bottoms are slightly wider than a Cherokee seat. In order to clear the transmission tunnel, I had to play with how high or low the seat sat. As you move the seat lower, it would have to be moved toward the door to keep from hitting the tunnel, which made the seat not sit directly behind the wheel. As I raised the seat it be could moved further inward. In the end, I got the seat centered behind the wheel and away from the tunnel and console. I have plenty of head room, but it would not be ideal if I were a whole lot taller.

I have a '97 XJ and have always really liked the way the factory seats have felt. I hear people complain...but I dig my stock seats. In the end, I feel if you like XJ seats, then you'll like the Moabs. They are basically the Jeep design with just a tad more bolster support and a higher headrest that allows for a 4 or 5 point harness. They also have a nice sized seat back pocket and they fold forward beyond 45 degrees with the pull of a lever.

2. The floor mats are made by Rugged Ridge. Almost every Jeep aftermarket company carries them, but almost all of them come with Rugged Ridge logos. I can't remember where I first saw them with "Jeep" logos, but when I decided to try and order a set, they were a major beee..ach to find. I got mine from teamcherokee.com. If you order a set, I would call the order in. Even though I ordered mine correctly, they initially came with Rugged Ridge logos. To get them with "Jeep" logos, it will cost a few extra bucks. I'll take a couple pics of them as well.

3. Spray dye is great. I work at a Corvette restoration parts catalog company and we sell plenty every day. I would not dye a really high wear item like seat covers. It works best on vinyl that has some give like the door panels and dash. Rigid items work well, too, but hard plastic is more likely to get deep scratches which would show the color underneath. It is really to touch up, however. If you have a scratch in an area you don't want to spray for fear of overspray, you can always spray a bit on a paper plate and then brush it on with a small paint brush.

Dye is like painting...90% of your results have to do with prep. You'll need to get the parts to be dyed very clean first. Also, it is thinner and somewhat translucent compared to paint, so multiple thin coats is the best way to go.

1. Those seats (Corbeau Moab??) do look comfortable... any more details/pics on them? I'd really like to get my bucket seats fixed or replaced.

2. What floormats do you have?

3. Does that dye actually hold-up?

Here's a couple of pics of the mats and also the seats.

80307-img-1313.jpg80308-img-1314.jpg

80309-img-1315.jpg80310-img-1317.jpg

Never mind...problem solved...all is well.

Anyway, I drove the MJ home for the 1st time tonight since before I took it home to be painted in June!

I must admit that it rides and drives better than I could have hoped. The 4.56 gearing is a perfect fit for the AX-15 & 33's. I drove the truck bone stock from last September until January when I took it apart. At that time, I almost felt bad for doing so because the little truck was such a dang good driver. Sure it was 2wd, sat a little low, the interior & paint looked like hell and it was anything but sexy, but man what a good driving truck. Now that it is done, it's evident that it drives every bit as good as before.

I'll also say that the poor man's Dynomat works great. It is simply amazing how quiet it is in the interior now than before. It is truly quieter with 33" mud tires and 4.56 gears than it was with 3.07's and stock sized street tires. All I can say is that if you have your carpet out for any reason (and plan to put carpeting back in place), it would almost be foolish not to spend a few $$ and line what you can with the stuff. I kid you not, for less than the cost of two tanks of gas, my truck is as quiet as the wife's BMW.

Awsome build, great looking truck, quality build :thumbsup:

Now show us some finished product pics :yes:

Drove it to work today...here's a few pics.

80399-img-1330.jpg

80400-img-1331.jpg

80401-img-1333.jpg

80402-img-1336.jpg

80403-img-1338.jpg

...was hoping the sun would shine a little more today. The color has a lot or pearl and metallic and really pops when it is in the sun.

Here's a couple of my XJ, now with black wheels. My cousin gave me a set of 5 used 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic wheels for helping him lift his Rubicon. He didn't take very good care of them and they were so chalky it was going to take a ton of time to polish them. Instead, I let our powder coater soda blast them and powder coat them satin black. They look like new wheels! The center caps are from Summit Racing and the Jeep stickers I found on Ebay.

80397-img-1334.jpg

80398-img-1335.jpg

That is so clean looking! Any plans for any side badging? I think having "Comanche" on the side of mine was a nice accent. Your front bumper is on my wish list

Since the body ended up staying stock, I was hoping to go back with the original emblems. My emblems didn't look so hot on nice fresh paint. I've been hoping to find a NOS set, but have not had any luck at all. Spencer is going to cut a set of fender letters in silver and also in reflective black. I'll end up using one or the other while I continue my hunt for a new set of original emblems.

:drool: damn thats nice.

whens the first offroad trip :brows:

Such a great looking truck. Love the color choice and fit and finish is stellar.

Lovin it

Thanks guys...I truly appreciate the compliments. I've been driving the truck as much as I can and really love the way it has turned out.

It's nice to have people say they like my truck when they see it, but it means more when true Comanche lovers give me their vote of approval. :group beer:

BTW, I am hoping to have a wheelin trip at Coal Creek soon, but am afraid the MJ may sit this one out. The bastages did too a job painting it...way beyond my expectations. I think I'll take the beater Honcho.

absolutely love the truck.. just realized that you are located in knoxville... would love to hook up some time and check it out in person...LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done.

Swing by anytime...I love talkin' Jeeps, especially MJ's & XJ's. I'll buy the beer! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

O M G !!!! great turn out i could only wish my truck to come out the way yours did . more pics please i can't get enough... :cheers: :drool: :drool:

Thanks. I need to clean it up and take some nice shots. I've been driving it as much as I can and it's not really photo shoot material at the moment.

Here's a pic of my "temporary" emblems. Since new old stock Comanche emblems are rather scarce, Spencer at jeepstickers.com cut these for me. They look nicer than my old emblems and will work ok until I can find a really nice set of the real thing. It's hard to tell from the pic, but he even cut them with a black outline that somewhat replicates the look of the original emblems.

81890-img-1417.jpg

Looking for spare tire mounting ideas...

I have a matching wheel & tire for use as a spare. Initially, the plan was to make a bracket to install it vertically on the passenger's side of the bed forward of the wheel well. Then the plan changed to vertically along the forward bulkhead of the bed. Now, I'm thinking a 45 degree mount at the front of the bed would look nice. I know it's kind of boy racer, but the whole baja style looks sweet.

I have an extra front wheel unit bearing to use as a mount and figured it would be easy enough to fab up something to brace it all to the bed.

Any opinions?

Got my truck back the 1st week of August. In the past three months, I've put it all back together but today I washed it for the very first time.

...sorry if I overindulged in pics, but I just couldn't help it.

82033-img-1478.jpg82027-img-1474.jpg82026-img-1471.jpg82025-img-1469.jpg82024-img-1468.jpg82023-img-1467.jpg82022-img-1466.jpg82021-img-1465.jpg82020-img-1464.jpg82019-img-1461.jpg82018-img-1460.jpg82017-img-1458.jpg82016-img-1456.jpg82015-img-1454.jpg82014-img-1453.jpg82013-img-1451.jpg

Got my truck back the 1st week of August. In the past three months, I've put it all back together but today I washed it for the very first time.

...sorry if I overindulged in pics, but I just couldn't help it.

82017-img-1458.jpg

Super! Is the camber off, or just the pic?