1991 4.0L daily driver/weekend wheeler build

Pics are well deserved, Excellent build, you would be like a dog with two dicks drivin down the road in that sweeet ride :thumbsup:

Do you tires stick out past you flares, a bit hard to tell in the pics, if so how much by?

They do stick out, but not a whole lot. I'll try to get a pic today that shows just how much.

Super! Is the camber off, or just the pic?

The camber is fine...I suppose it's a funky angle for a picture. The only trouble I had in the front alignment was finding a good compromise between caster and front pinion angle. I believe it ended up with 7 degrees which still drives good and I don't have any vibes out of the driveshaft.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Nice!!!

You have one of my 2 favorite comanches on here.

I thought about painting mine, but I've decided I want to use it and I'd be pissed if I scratched it and it looked that good. So, I'm keeping the rattle can semigloss black for the foreseeable future. This truck, if I scratch it, I just touch it up with the rattle can and call it good.

Very Nice!!!

You have one of my 2 favorite comanches on here.

I thought about painting mine, but I've decided I want to use it and I'd be pissed if I scratched it and it looked that good. So, I'm keeping the rattle can semigloss black for the foreseeable future. This truck, if I scratch it, I just touch it up with the rattle can and call it good.

Initially, I wanted to rattle can mine...was having a tough time deciding between a flat gray or desert tan, but somewhere along the way it took a slightly different turn. If I can talk the wife into another Comanche, I'd like to keep it a little more along those lines. It wouldn't hurt near as much if it were to get a few dings along the way.

Right now, I'm still trying to keep the "don't make it too nice" thing going with my Honcho. So far I've focused on fixing mechanical issues and making it more drivable & reliable while fighting the temptation to make it pretty.

• 4 weeks later...

Pics are well deserved, Excellent build, you would be like a dog with two dicks drivin down the road in that sweeet ride :thumbsup:

Do you tires stick out past you flares, a bit hard to tell in the pics, if so how much by?

Sorry it took so long to get pics. Maybe these will help you see how far they stick out.

The wheels are 15x8 with 5.5" backspacing. I have 1.25" spacers in the front & 1.5" spacers in the rear.

83065-img-1564.jpg

83063-img-1562.jpg

83064-img-1563.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics, whats the idear of of using the wheel spacers ?

Do they give you identical wheel track front & rear ?

My problem is " by law " the tyres carnt stick out past the gaurds or flears

I will run 16x8 rims for big brakes & 32" tyre, the tyres won't be as wide as yours.

Have been toying with the idear of adding a inch or so to the factory flears ( post update ). as i can go only so wide with tyres " by law " so no bushwackers

+ i want to keep the factory look

You have a great looking truck dude

Man everytime I see your truck It just knocks me out it has turned out so great. Mine is finally out at the paint shop and the nervous pacing has begun.

I will be running over there over the weekend to drop off more odds and ends and help them pull the bed off.

I probably won't get it back till just before Christmas I am certain I won't be sleeping much as it gets closer.

I feel like a 8 year old kid again playing the holiday waiting game..

Gotta say If mine comes off 1/2 as nice as yours has, I will have accomplished something.

Bob in Denver

Thanks for posting the pics, whats the idear of of using the wheel spacers ? I wanted to run a factory appearing wheel. The only problem is that factory Jeep wheels all have a lot of backspacing to keep the tires fully tucked in underneath the fenders. Once you mount a taller and wider tire to a factory wheel, you begin having issues with the tires rubbing things, such as the back inside of the tire rubbing on the lower control arm, etc. Spacers allowed me to use the wheels I liked, but move the wheel out far enough that I don't have clearance issues.

Do they give you identical wheel track front & rear ? Mine now has a slightly wider track in the rear. If you look at MJ's closely, you'll notice that the body is narrower up front. So, it creates the illusion that the front is axle is wider than the rear if all four tires have the each same backspacing. That always kind of bugged me so I chose spacers for the rear that were 1/4" thicker than the front.

My problem is " by law " the tyres carnt stick out past the gaurds or flears I am fortunate to live in the great state of Tennessee. I have never heard of anyone here being harassed about fender flares completely covering the tires. As a matter of fact, many folks go flareless, but I like the looks of the factory flares.

I will run 16x8 rims for big brakes & 32" tyre, the tyres won't be as wide as yours.

Have been toying with the idear of adding a inch or so to the factory flears ( post update ). as i can go only so wide with tyres " by law " so no bushwackers

+ i want to keep the factory look Me too, I was kind of shooting for a look that appeared as though it could have been some type of bad-a factory option. That is why I stayed with factory flares, Jeep wheels & left all of the body panels as they were. Doing so limited me to 33" tires, but I am happy with how it turned out.

You have a great looking truck dude Thanks

Amazing! :eek: Id love to have this stance with my blue truck someday! Looks great!

I had to reread your post. At 1st, I missed "blue" and thought you were referring to "Walker". I was just about to pm you to tell you to leave that truck alone! It's a work of beauty!

..but the blue truck I say stick 'em out. It gives a more menacing look.

• 11 months later...

I haven't posted to my build in almost a year.  Actually, besides driving the truck, I really haven't done that much to it.  We started building a new house at the end of Oct 2012 and the wife requested no new vehicle projects until the house is done.  With any luck, we'll be in by Thanksgiving.

After driving it 5-6 months, it never really settled any in the rear like I hoped.  The 4.5" springs gave at least 5.5" of lift, maybe more.  It got to where it looked like it had too much rake, so I called Hell Creek.  He told me to remove the second shortest leaf.  I removed the leaf and now it sits perfect.  Not only that, it softened up the ride quite a bit.  The ride is very nice and most (not all) of the interior squeaks & creeks went away.

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I posted. I've been busy with other projects, but have been driving the MJ a couple days a week.

I do have a question. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding my drip rail moldings? I have 2 really nice pairs. My truck is all blue & black...no chrome at all. I painted the drip rail moldings black, but it keeps flaking. I scuff w/180, prime, paint and they still flake. Instead of paint, does anyone have experience with any type of shrink or plastic coating that is durable?

• 7 months later...

Quick update on my truck...

I've been driving the MJ 2-3 time a week and it is a really nice driving, running truck on smooth roads.  However, the ride has been a bit harsh at times on rough roads.  My XJ which has approximately the same amount of lift, springs, CAD, etc and rides much much smoother.  I initially thought it may be the coils springs but after doing a bit of research decided to swap shocks instead.  The XJ has RE 3.5" springs with ACOS and the MJ has RE 4.5" springs with a 1" spacer.  Both sit between 5.25" & 5.75" and the 4.5" springs on the MJ are a much softer spring rate, so one would assume it would be a softer ride.

Initially, I had Bilstein 5100's on the MJ while the XJ has RE Monotubes.  I called RE after hearing that Bilstein made their shocks.  They confirmed that the XJ/MJ/TJ springs are made by Bilstein, but to their specifications.  Evidently , the off-the-shelf Bilsteins are a bit universal in that they are made to fit a myriad of vehicles but the valving on the RE shocks are specific to the weight of a XJ or MJ.  Anyway, I swapped in the RE shocks yesterday and the difference in ride is tremendous.  I went back over some of the same roads near where I live that really caused the MJ to loose its composure before and it rides silky smooth now.