home backup generator

mjeff87

The wife and I have been saving our pennies (and I've not been having any fun with my Jeeps :( ) for the last little while, and today I pulled the plug on a whole-house backup generator. Having lived thru two hurricanes, a couple monster snowstorms (well, monster-like for VA anyhow...), lots of ice storms, some tornadoes and a recent earthquake since we've moved here, it's always been my main priority to get one.

20Kw Generac (100A breakered), natural gas fed, and it comes with a brandy new NEMA 1 "advanced load center", which is basically a new breaker panel with built in emergency circuitry and auto transfer switch. I'm also installing a whole-house surge protector at the panel....in our last house we had the same tree in the backyard hit twice by lightning and it fried a bunch of stuff inside. It'll take about 6 weeks to deliver, then install will begin (not by me, I'm contracting this all out to a local electrical contractor).

Gas company is already scheduling to replace my meter with a larger one to feed the beast, but the good thing is the service line to the meter from the main is adequately sized, and doesn't need to be replaced (and my yard doesn't have to get dug up).

I'll be taking pics and updating this thread over the next couple months, but don't expect anything to really start happening until about mid-March. We're going on our annual vacation at the end of Feb (and taking her parents along :roll:), so nothing 'till we get back from that, at least.

Yeah, it's a bit of overkill for just the two of us and the cats, but I'd rather have more juice than I need than the other way around :yes:

Jeff

that's the "beauty" of living in central Virginia....there's never a dull moment around here. We get ice (and some snow) storms in the winter that pull power lines down, and tornadoes and hurricanes in the summer/fall that do the same.

Not saying it's worse weather here than anywhere else, but it sure is different than southwest PA that we moved from :yes:

Though of getting a portable generator a few times, but never actually acted on it yet. Power's never been off for more than a day. I have a gas water heater with an old fashioned pilot light, so I still have hot water. Gas stove so I can still cook (but can't use the over, though), propane lantern and flash lights for light and a kerosene space heater if needed. Although with a generator I don't have to worry about the fridge and freezer and I would be able to run the furnace and use the oven. Furnace is gas also, so as long as I don't run the clothes drier I wouldn't need a big one. 3 or 4 kilowatt would probably suffice.

we have a 5500w portable (that saw ALOT of use a few months ago when Irene hit us), but lemme tell ya....it gets old when you're off the grid for upwards of a week. One thing that I did spec when we built the house a couple years ago was a gas stove and water heater, specifically because you can cook and clean your nasty self w/o power ;) Water heater is electric ignition as well as the stove, but I can still light the stove burners with a zippo. Have to plug the water heater and stove (for the oven) into the generator, though, to get either to fire.

I have peace of mind if my wife is at home alone and power goes out (I often get stuck at work or called out as an "essential" employee during crisis events) so she ends up by herself. Now I can not worry as much as before if/when an event occurs. And from the 10K foot level, it should enhance our home value and help us to refinance to a lower rate and shorter term next year once we build a bit more equity.

I think it's a damn good move Jeff. I lived up there for many years and y'all get a mixed bag of rough weather, especially if you live on Chesapeake Bay. Pretty cold winters too. Down here our main threat is tornadoes; and the crappy Mom and Pop local no-power company. When the last batch of tornadoes came through here we lost power for three weeks. I've always had a generator (8Kw) that will run most everything, but it's tough even to find gas to run it when the tornadoes go through.

We will have natural gas available here soon, and I've already signed up for a hookup. Then we'll convert the stove, heat pumps, hot water heaters, and other high amp appliances over as we can. nd continue to use the generator for lighting and smaller appliances.

We put the same generator in last summer not long after we moved into our house. We were on the fence about getting one, but after talking to the neighbors and finding out that some were without power for almost a month after hurricane Ike, we decided it was worth the expense. Even tho we haven't needed it yet, we have no regrets.

That is a great move. It will be great if you need it and you have peace of mind until you do. We have our portable generator in the garage. Would love to get a permanent one. After '04 here in Central Florida it's the best thing to have. I stood in line for 4 hours with my 3 month old daughter to get the one I have. It was worth it. It powers a 120 window unit ac, the fridge and several fans. For us it's always brutal heat and humidity, I can't imaginie what it's like when it's brutal cold with no power.

A lot of times NatGas becomes unavailable in those situations. I have a 4D truck battery for backup and LED lights (that run on 12VDC) so I can just fire up the car and attach jumper cables to the shed to recharge (or get a car going if the battery is dead)

I have a 5500W genset that is getting converted to LPG once I sell my Chev pickup.

***knocks on wood***

So far, during all of the power outages we've been thru, including the two hurricanes, we haven't lost NG service.....we're hoping that won't happen.

Small update, gas company came out and inspected my meter and they'll need to remove the existing residential one and install a commercial one. The current meter is rated at 300K btu, and the genny needs 290 to run :ack:

Should be getting it swapped out next week.

Jeff

I have a 5500W genset that is getting converted to LPG once I sell my Chev pickup.

What are you using for the conversion? I've got a 7000W import 'special' that I would like to convert; it's a Honda clone but they didn't do a good job of cloning the carb, and I hate leaving it with gas in it to use it 4 times a year.

well, after a bit of confusion with the gas company, I got the meter swapped out for a commercial one. Initially, they sent a guy out (thank gawd I was home when he showed up) who started to measure my gas line from the meter to the main because he thought I was getting a new line. I set him straight on that and told him the line was fine, all I needed was a new meter base. Monday another guy showed up and swapped the meter out with no problems in about 20 minutes (and re-piped the original mess they did three years ago when they put the first meter in ;) ), but when I got home from work last night I noticed that Miss Utility had paid me a visit and paint marked/flagged my gas line back to the main across the street. I called them back today to make sure they weren't gonna dig my yard up <> and they said it was an oversight and no work was planned for my address.

old meter:

Image Not Found

new meter, same length and height as the old, just wider:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It was raining when he swapped it, so he couldn't paint the new piping he installed, but he left me a brand new can of paint so I could do it when it dried up. Will paint it this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

got the new load center installed, along with an analog hour meter. All of the wiring is now run from the new panel, across the top of my garage and under my crawl space over to where the generator pad is set. I'll tidy up the drywall where they had to cut out this weekend. Still need to have the whole-house surge protector installed on the panel, and when the generator shows up next month all they'll have to do is mount it on the pad and connect the wiring and gas supply.

new load center (with built in ATS):

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

PVC conduit:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Sweet! I had my chance to get a kohler 14kw generator. I went to Lowes to get a new washer and dryer, I only could fit one in my XJ at the time so I told them I'd make two trips. On my second trip back I went in to pick up my dryer and before I could say dryer the woman said, "Generator"? At that moment I was conflicted with doubt. That little devil on my left shoulder was poking me with his stick "SAY YES!!". I could not knowing my guilty conscience would get the best of me. :fs1:

Jeff, how much time delay with your ATS before it switches from commercial power to generator? We get a lot of outages repeatedly here lasting maybe five seconds at a time that would play he!! with an ATS w/o an adjustable delay. Also what about surge protection when the generator comes online?

load transfer is adjustable, from 10 to 30 seconds....I'll probably have them set it for 10-15 seconds initally and see how it works out. Funny thing, last night at almost exactly midnight there was a loud explosion off in the distance (had to be a transformer, and was loud enough to wake me up from a dead sleep on my couch) and power and cable dropped instantly. About 20 seconds later, everything was back online. Weather was calm and quiet, I'm guessing a car hit a pole somewhere close.

I'm having a whole-house surge protector installed on the panel, too. The genset has an over/under current protector and a main line circuit breaker. Both "sides" of the panel (utility and generator) are breakered at 125A.

Sounds good. I worked on lots of UPS and generator backup systems in some pretty crappy third world places and the most troublesome part of all of them was the switch gear. I'd set it as high as it could go, although you probably have better power in VA than we do here. :cheers: