My MJ....got a question for you all about it. Want opinions

Ok, I've been planning to fix the bed dents and bad bondo. After more research I could do fiberglass bedsides and front fenders for about the same price as fixing the bed. (edit) I would keep the bed in tact. I would just cut outer bedsides out and install fiberglass. So would still have bed.

What way would you guys go?

If I repair/repaint bed I'll build bed rail protection.

If I do fiberglass I'll sell the bumper, corner protection off the bed. Then get stock taillights or 97+ Xj lights for the fiberglass and have to build a new bumper due to fiberglass would not work with current bumper. At this point I would sell front bumper as well and go ahead and build a new front as well to better go with rear.

Thanks for opinions and comments.

I don't want to fill up my build thread with this question so here seems better.

(would be same fenders and bedsides as Zone MJ, but would do some sand work on fronts to blend with my header.)

i would be worried about the 'glass bed sides breaking

Thanks for responding....36 views....1 opinion.

ya I worry too, but its about equal to worrying about getting another dent. Also...on hard trails I can remove the bedsides. And...I can replace and paint easy with fiberglass sides.sidestepped

It sounds like going glass will cost much more up front. However, this also yields you the opportunity to protect what you want, how you want.

What is easier for the home body guy to repair? Dents on body panels or cracked glass? I don't know, but I would pick whichever option you can do....let's face it, you will probably rest the body on more Moab slick rock.

dents i wouldnt worry about but the bad bondo id fix. bedsides are your call. everybody has different preferences. me, i wouldnt do it. maybe the front yeah sure, maybe but the whole thing? nahhh. unless your sticking to baja or about to go all out like Zone. i wouldnt mess with it. i mean dents are just awsome stories for the campfire image_209027.gif

dents i wouldnt worry about but the bad bondo id fix. bedsides are your call. everybody has different preferences. me, i wouldnt do it. maybe the front yeah sure, maybe but the whole thing? nahhh. unless your sticking to baja or about to go all out like Zone. i wouldnt mess with it. i mean dents are just awsome stories for the campfire image_209027.gif

They are great for the campfire.....but I have pictures..lol.

I'm just anal and the dents drive me crazy, don't get me wrong, I have no issue getting them. I just like them fixed after, I could care less if someone driving by or looking thinnest poser cause it looks clean. I know what I do with the truck. I'm just sure ill keep wanting glass. I have always wanted a glasses Comanche and that will not change setter its the better for body damage or not. As for the glass repairs....I meant just buying new glass when it gets broken. Paint is easy.

Fix the dented bed and repair the bad bondo. Park the truck in the garage and buy another and make it into a wheeler/beater.

Your truck is too nice to be beaten up on the trails :D

Lol. I see it everyday....its not that nice. I do run hard trails, but I don't beat on the MJ. Garages are for Ferraris not trucks.

It sounds like going glass will cost much more up front. However, this also yields you the opportunity to protect what you want, how you want.

What is easier for the home body guy to repair? Dents on body panels or cracked glass? I don't know, but I would pick whichever option you can do....let's face it, you will probably rest the body on more Moab slick rock.

on the body work, I'm not sure what's cheaper. Bedsides are $250 a side, so that's pretty cheap to just replace if broken. Most quality work is that much per dent. Painting would be bout same considering blending on bed or whole bedside being painted.

What I'm thinking is ill remove the bedsides (quick release mount/dismount) on tight trails and have some mild armor/bedslider on inner fenderwells that are unseen when fenders are on.

Bedsides are $250 per side and front fenders are $160 per side (plus shipping and paint) Cash quote for dents and repair of crappy bondo work and paint was $1100 (plus I will have to have line-x repair a spot on bed rail, that will not need done if I do glass. I have not gone to line-x for a quote yet)

Edit..initial fiberglass cost is $250 per side of bed and $160 per front fender (you

I like my steel. Plain and simple.

You won't see me putting fiberglass panels on any of mine. If I wanted plastic on my truck, I would have bought something new...

You should probably remove those factory flairs then.....and gut the interior, taillights and blinkers..grill...etc. :rotf:

Just razzing you. I appreciate everyones opinion.

Cheers.

I like my steel. Plain and simple.

You won't see me putting fiberglass panels on any of mine. If I wanted plastic on my truck, I would have bought something new...

You should probably remove those factory flairs then.....and gut the interior, taillights and blinkers..grill...etc. :rotf:

Just razzing you. I appreciate everyones opinion.

Cheers.

:thumbsup: