No name yet....but it's coming... (Edit: The Cheif)

Well, it's been almost a month since I paid $350 for my truck that wouldn't start and didn't drive.Image Not FoundSince then, I towed it to the back parking lot of my apartment complex. Thankfully we've had an unusually warm winter thus far and I've been able to do all of the work I've needed to without a garage. I replaced the CPS(so it would run) and replaced the spider gears in my D-turdy5 (so it would drive).

I replaced the front and repainted both bumpers, remounted the brushguard so the headlights would shine on the road, and covered the primer:Image Not Found

My best mod yet: almost brand new 31" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on some Mickey Thompson Classic II's for $300!!

I've got big plans, but one thing at a time and inspection is first.

I'm honestly not too sure about the lift, I think its in the 4" range, it looks a bit taller than 3. I love the look of the tires too, I'm not sure yet how well they will stuff, if they will at all, but we'll see. I may have to trim some, but I'm going to do the 97+ header panel and TJ flares sometime this spring, so if I trim, I'll trim then.

All I can tell you is what I've got, but is almost 20 years old, so who knows if somebody else changed anything. It's a shortbed with a 4.0, D35 rear, 5spd - BA10 I think. It's got A/C, though when I bought it, it came with all of the gauges except the tach. Vinyl interior, bucket seats, no power anything. Anybody else help me with this one?

Looking good. :cheers:

Comanche Chief now that is a new one to me I no of the Pioneer, Sport Truck but Comanche Chief what trim package is this

It is not the first Comanche Chief I have ever seen. What year is it? My old 87 XJ was a Cherokee Chief. Wondering if it is something they did for that year only?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It's coming along. I might end up just calling it "The Cheif", to distinguish it from my 98 XJ, which has always been called "The Jeep". I'll put up a few more pics soon. I'm thinking about repainting it this spring, I'm not sure what color yet. Maybe black. Should I keep the "Comanche Cheif" lettering? What color was it on black trucks?

Thanks guys! It's coming along. I might end up just calling it "The Cheif", to distinguish it from my 98 XJ, which has always been called "The Jeep". I'll put up a few more pics soon. I'm thinking about repainting it this spring, I'm not sure what color yet. Maybe black. Should I keep the "Comanche Cheif" lettering? What color was it on black trucks?

werent they all red? i've never seen a non-red chief

werent they all red? i've never seen a non-red chief

x2 If I were you, paint it black and have Spencer (of Jeep sticker fame) do up a red vinyl decal for the Comanche Chief logo. When I paint my MJ with the SporTruck trim pkg, I'm having a local jeeper do up the pinstriping and SporTruck on the side. A nice set of Limited rims painted black, coil spacers up front to even out the stance of the MJ and some bondo to the offending holes. Make my red mj all nice again.

sry for the Highjack, nice MJ haha.

HURRAY!!! :cheers: I passed PA state inspection today! I must admit I was a bit worried, what with all the electrical demons I've got in the 'Cheif. Now I can use it as my DD. It'll even be legal. I'll post up a few more pics on the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what my trans fluid looked like after I drained it out of my Pug.

Nasty.

A few quarts of some synthetic in there, now she shifts like butter.

Here's my new toolbox too. It sits high on the bed, I can't see anything in the bed with the rearview, but that's no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, I fixed it, now you can see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An update: My D35 that I replaced the spider gears in, blew the spider gears apart again :grrrr:

So, I spent the day in the junk yard to pull another D35 from an MJ. My wifey was a great sport and helped me out, even though it was only about 15 degrees out. I thought I looked it over good enough, and I was mostly concerned with the spider gears, only to get it home and see this: :grrrr:

After that mess, I decided to throw in the towel on the D35.

I found a wrecked 99 XJ that I pulled the D30 and the 8.25 from complete brakes and all, for $200. They're matching 3.55's, so that'll enable me to upgrade my tire size as I desire to do so without paying for regearing.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

So, I'm going SOA while I'm at it. I ordered a set of 8" anti-wrap spring perches from RuffStuff Specialties to try and avoid the wrap problems. I got creative with the grinder and altered my shock mounts, after I removed them from the 8.25, to make them high clearance.

Image Not Found

This is how she looks right now, ready for a trip to my buddy's shop to weld up the spring perches and shock mounts.

I'm hoping to have that stuff done within the next two weeks so I can move on to figuring out the bumpstops, shocks and what I need to do to the front end to make it all match up.

I've got a set of these waiting to go in as well, but they don't do me too much good without any running gear....... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my leaf spring mounts from Ruff Stuff Specialties, took a little longer than I expected, but they look like they are worth the wait. Plus they sent me free stickers!!! jamminz.gif Should be able to get all this welded up this week, a friend of mine is bringing his welder over so I can stick it all together. I've got to fix this upper shock mount too....