Air Compressors

sinkrun

I now have my own 2 car garage to work in and some money to spend. Need some input on compressors if anyone has any to share. I have done some looking new used large and medium size. I would like one to paint with someday and run small air tools. How large or small can I go? I would like to stay around $300-$500 on one or do I have to go more?

In your price range a 60 gallon single stage compressor should do the trick for you. Though I havent priced any lately. If you can wait till the day after tgiving, you might catch a good discount on one from tractor suppy or similar places. Call ahead of time to see if theyll be doing any discounts like that. This price does not include wiring the compressor up, or plumbing any air lines, or rugulators, oil and water seperators, etc. Keep an eye on craiglslist for some about this size and you might get a better deal with the tradeoff of not knowing its history or if it will break on you any time soon.

I agree that a 60 gallon should be adequate. I have been through 2 30 gallon compressors, a 60 gallon, and a 90 gallon. The 60 and the 90 performed great with impact tools, blowers, and paint guns at moderate use. The 90 was the only one to cut it at heavy (very heavy) use. The 30 gallon will run tools fine in small bursts. It falls on its face if you use something like a die grinder or rotary cutter though. Of course this is all my personal opinion based on my experience.

i have a 17 gallon craftsman one that does well for me but i have no air tools really besides my air ratchet and if someone could tell me how to turn it up it would be great cause right now i can get the bolts tighter my self

i have a 17 gallon craftsman one that does well for me but i have no air tools really besides my air ratchet and if someone could tell me how to turn it up it would be great cause right now i can get the bolts tighter my self

Have you tried raising the air pressure on the compressor regulator?

i have it set to just above the max pressure of it

Then thats probably all you get :thumbsup:

Don't overlook the basics either! Line size and your connectors play a big part in performance as well. If you're running through one of those cheap yellow 1/4" coils, it's like running a marathon breathing through a straw. You want good 3/8" line with HI-FLOW couplers, at least. Harbour Freight actually has some quality stuff here, you can get the Goodyear rubber hose cheap and they sell (or at least used to, I haven't seen them in a while) the hi-flow couplers (you have to really look for them, they aren't in any of the all-in-one kits).

Beyond that, there's always the quality of tool to consider. Some are just more powerful than others. Make sure it's mechanically sound, if it's worn out it will slowly sap performance. You may be able to rebuild it. My wife bought me a bunch of AirCat tools for my birthday a while back and I LOVE them. I'm running a small 11-gal ancient CH 110v and I get GREAT performance out of my tools. It doesn't have much legs for sustained use but it gives full power for long enough to use the impact hammer and air wrenches. It does fall flat on it's face for serious cutting or grinding work, but still gets the job done given enough time. I don't think I'd want to paint with it either.

Has anyone looked at gas powered compressors? The RolAir stuff looks pretty nice for giving a lot of performance in a relatively compact and portable package, where it's impractical to wire 220v. Anyway, if it were me, I'd hang on to your money and keep an eye on craigslist. I tend to prefer to buy an older, used professional model than a new "home-owner" type deal. I find most times even the old pro stuff is worlds better than new junk (heck, that's why we have Comanche's, right?), and if I'm not happy with it it's easy to sell it for the same price you paid.

As far as compressors go what ever you do stay away from the oil-free compressors unless you just want a temporary throw away compressor. By far the best compressor is Ingersol-Rand with Quincy following close behind, they have the best pumps around which if you think about it the pump is the pare that really separates one compressor from any other because a tank is a tank not much to that, and the motor they do have better ones like a Baldor but there isnt a lot of choices there. Of course you also pay for this quality, and alot of people don't feel like spending that much for just an air compressor. Thats were CL comes in handy because alot of the time you can buy a used I-R or Quincy and be money ahead and have alot better compressor in the long run.

Ok, been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd chime in.

No one has mentioned a 2 stage compressor yet I don't think. If you want to run air tools such as a grinder or DA sander you should think about a 2 stage. I would like to get a new one but I'm holding out till I have enough money for a nice one that will last me a lifetime. I don't mean go out and buy a Snap On because they are just made by IR. You might have to up your budget though if you want something like this. They run about $1000 for a decent one. Look for sales like 15% off when you open a Home Depot card or Sears card. That way you can get what you want for less.

I base my decision on CFM not just capacity and only a 2 stage would suffice in my book.

Good Luck

I agree about the two stage compressor. It's the only way to go.

Ok, been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd chime in.

No one has mentioned a 2 stage compressor yet I don't think. If you want to run air tools such as a grinder or DA sander you should think about a 2 stage. I would like to get a new one but I'm holding out till I have enough money for a nice one that will last me a lifetime. I don't mean go out and buy a Snap On because they are just made by IR. You might have to up your budget though if you want something like this. They run about $1000 for a decent one. Look for sales like 15% off when you open a Home Depot card or Sears card. That way you can get what you want for less.

I base my decision on CFM not just capacity and only a 2 stage would suffice in my book.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...