The front of my MJ is toooooo stiff.

I'm running 6" 180lb springs (180's being the softest I could find) and a pair of Pro-Comp ES-3000 shocks. I'm also running adjustable upper/lower arms, adj track bar w/drop and a stock sway bar.

What can I do to soften the ride?

Would removing the sway bar help? Or would that give the truck too much roll when cornering?

Your ride would be helped greatly by a set of control arm drop brackets. If the springs really are what they say, you shouldnt have that rough of a ride. The control arm angle is what youre feeling over the bumps. The higher angle tranfers more road shock to the unibody than a lower angle does. The drop brackets would bring this back to a more bearable angle.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at my control arm angles and maybe even take a few pix of um. Which control arms are you talking about needing drops. Upper, lower or both?

Air pressure is 28psi.

Since they were suggested, how much $$$ are long arms?

My lifted truck runs 4.5" lift springs from Motion Offroad along with 1.75" spacers and shocks meant for some sort of antique Toyota car. Short arms, no drop brackets. Truck rides like a Cadillac. Stiffness has way more to do with shocks and spring rate than it does with control arm angles.

Disconnecting the sway bar will cause the truck to roll more in turns, and can allow it to sway side to side on the highway (Pete and Automan saw mine do that on I-75), but will have no effect on the stiffness of the front suspension.

Your ride would be helped greatly by a set of control arm drop brackets. If the springs really are what they say, you shouldnt have that rough of a ride. The control arm angle is what youre feeling over the bumps. The higher angle tranfers more road shock to the unibody than a lower angle does. The drop brackets would bring this back to a more bearable angle.

:agree: Yep ... what he said.

OK, obviously my next question is gonna be if any yall have a set of used drop brackets for sale?

I've priced new ones for a 6" lift from $180 to $220 bucks. (funny how things work out because that's the exact amount I don't have) LOL!!!

I did a little homework on suspension geometry and understand how and why my control arms could be/are making my truck ride so rough. Without going into detail ..... I get it.

I agree I need new shocks. So who makes a good yet economical shock for mostly street use?

I would drop 3-4 psi outta the tires and see what happens. I only run about 24 psi in my jeeps. plus it's free to try. :yes:
I'll give it a try but I'm sure yall are right about my arms.

I have another problem. (imagine that) My sway bar ends are coming in contact with my springs. It's like the sway bar ends are too long. Question ..... does an 88 2x4 MJ and a 89 4x4 XJ run the same sway bars? I ask because I don't know which one the previous owner used in the 4x4 conversion he had started on this truck. His donor vehicle was a 89 XJ 4x4 Limited. My truck is/was a 88 2x4 Eliminator. Also, the pre-owner used stock end links. Again, I don't know if their the stock MJ links or from the XJ donor. Yes, I know I need to replace them. (or go the cheap route and extend um) How much longer are the end links supposed to be for a 6" lift? Or .... do I need drops for it too? If so, how much?

Bilstein or Fox both make some nice bolt in replacement style shocks that would vastly improve ride quality. And drop brackets or LA with that much lift. Or you could lower your truck...
Bilstein huh. I was looking at their 5100's and think they'd work fine for my application. (mostly street with the occasional mild offroading) Gonna see about getting some drop brackets too. Any recommendations on who's to buy?

As for lowering it .... I considered it thinking it would be easier to get in and out of it. Thing is I wouldn't want to lower it any more than 1 1/2" - 2" inches and that little amount wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference. At 5'-9" I'd still have to climb to get in it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert

I would drop 3-4 psi outta the tires and see what happens. I only run about 24 psi in my jeeps. plus it's free to try. :yes:

Yeah but that's WAY to low. If I'm not wrong 28 psi is to low, I've always ran my truck tires at 35 psi :dunno:

Also check into fox a bit more they can be had a few Penny's less then Bilsteins. Either way good luck :D

Brandon

First thing I would do is get rid of the stock sway bar links,you can extend them or do a sway bar drop. The sway bar drop moves the sway bar down about 2" and forward an inch or two to get the links off the springs.

I would also look into some control arm drop brackets,IIRC you have straight lowers so at 6" your probably hitting the spring mounts on the axle.

Yeah but that's WAY to low. If I'm not wrong 28 psi is to low, I've always ran my truck tires at 35 psi :dunno:

Also check into fox a bit more they can be had a few Penny's less then Bilsteins. Either way good luck :D

Brandon

um, 35 psi is used on cars and other modern lower profile tires, but taller tires generally don't need that much. :thumbsup: I got about 60k evenly-worn miles outta my 30" bfg ATs. and never was the pressure above 25 (and usually it was way less since the aluminum rims all leaked on me).

First thing I would do is get rid of the stock sway bar links,you can extend them or do a sway bar drop. The sway bar drop moves the sway bar down about 2" and forward an inch or two to get the links off the springs.
Perfect. That's exactly what I need. Question ..... with only 2 inches of drop, won't I still need longer links? If so, how much longer?

I would also look into some control arm drop brackets,IIRC you have straight lowers so at 6" your probably hitting the spring mounts on the axle.
Yes, I did have a hitting/clearance issue but I took care of it when I installed the arms. With my truck on a lift and the suspension hanging naturally I ground off a little of the mounts for clearance.

If sway bar drops also move the bar forward, I definitely need a set. While I'm at it I'll replace my stock links.

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Robert