• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have pics of where you mounted your vapor canister? I'm having trouble locating some appropriate real estate under the bed with a 22 gal dakota tank filling up most of the space.

I put mine in the stock 97+ location under the overflow bottle.

That depends actually. 1998+ moved the emissions canister to under the left floor in front of the rear axle. Fan, if you having trouble with rigging up the 1998+ setup then locate a 1997- bracket and canister to use in the engine bay.

That's easier said than done I'm afraid. Junkyards around here are pretty slim pickin's for anything 97+. Will anything older than 97 work? I guess all it needs is a tank vent line and a vacuum line.

It should for the bracket, but the canister itself may be different. The bracket is the same from 1987 to 1997.(MOPAR #53007836) RockAuto.com has the 1997 emissions canister.

• 2 years later...

For the fuel tank, there are a few different routes you can take. The route I chose to use was to get a new tank without a slosh pan and an adapter ring for the XJs fuel pump and assembly to work.

I cut a hole in the top of the tank, and using the ring, dropped the XJs fuel pump in.

Bolted it up and plugged in the wire harness. This will require the tank to sit lower than where is was, necessitating longer J bolts and spacers. You can use the J bolts from the XJ tank, and use anything you feel will work as spacers to keep the pump regulator from contacting the underside of the bed. 3/4 inch should be all you need. There are also threads explaining how to use a TJ tank as well as a Dakota tank. You are more than welcome to use whatever means necessary to make yours work. To keep the check engine light off because of emissions, move the charcoal canister from under the XJ to under the MJ. I mounted mine under the bed and ran hoses from the two hard plastic lines that come from under the hood over to the canister. Also I ran a hose from the rollover valves on the fuel tank to the canister. It is my understanding that the canister on the earlier 2nd gen XJs is under the hood. If that is your case, mount it where it should be under the hood and run your tubing as needed.

Whats the issue with using the stock MJ tank and pump?

There are a couple different issues with the stock sender. The gauge won't read correctly, the wiring from the 97+ harness is different, the fuel lines are different also. The MJ sender uses a return line where the XJ doesn't and the regulator is on the fuel rail for the MJ engine where it is on the pump for the XJ. 

I went with a TJ tank and guage cluster and it worked great and still is. The Dodge tanks seem to be working and so does using an MJ tank without a slosh pan and a adapter ring.

The choice is yours on which way you want to go. For me the TJ tank worked out the best.

There are a couple different issues with the stock sender. The gauge won't read correctly, the wiring from the 97+ harness is different, the fuel lines are different also. The MJ sender uses a return line where the XJ doesn't and the regulator is on the fuel rail for the MJ engine where it is on the pump for the XJ. 

I went with a TJ tank and guage cluster and it worked great and still is. The Dodge tanks seem to be working and so does using an MJ tank without a slosh pan and a adapter ring.

The choice is yours on which way you want to go. For me the TJ tank worked out the best.

However you can use the stock MJ tank and return fuel system you can just use a Stock XJ/YJ/MJ 4.0L fuel rail that has a return and the regulator at the rail and live with the inaccurate sender and or mod the sender to read accurately but with the fact that MJ senders are NON existent to buy new Id say go with the newer tank options... I used a 23 Gallon Dakota Tank...

Sorry I do not...

My first 15G tank was from a 92 I bought to pull the Engine/Trans for my Buddies YJ V8 Swap and then just found my 22G from car-part.com and I think my sending unit was from a

00 Dakota but that I bought new and had to be slightly modified...

This was my First 15G swap...

Image Not Found

Then swapped up to the 22G

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The Sender Mods

Image Not Found

• 8 months later...

I used the XJ wiring all the way to the rear. I cut off the XJ connectors and replaced them with weatherproof connectors. I then took the stock MJ taillight harness and separated the wiring to get all four tail bulbs to light when the parking lights are on. The top bulbs are the brake lights and the lower are the turn signal bulbs.

Once you look at the MJ taillight harness it is pretty easy to figure out which wire powers which bulb.

• 1 year later...

Awesome thread! I'm getting ready to tackle this job myself and I'm a bit nervous. This helps ease my tensions a little. BTW, where do yo get the fuel tank w/o a slosh pan? and maybe I missed it but the adapter ring for the XJ sending unit?

• 2 months later...

we're working on a bypass, but the pic host company PhotoBucket recently decided to charge an outrageous amount for hosting pics and it's absolutely destroying the world of the hobbyist.  :(  so much info might be lost forever.

we're working on a bypass, but the pic host company PhotoBucket recently decided to charge an outrageous amount for hosting pics and it's absolutely destroying the world of the hobbyist. :( so much info might be lost forever.

Let me know if I can help in any way with that bypass. I'm not tech savvy, but I know there's a crap ton of good info on this forum

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, snowboard3r411 said:

Any luck on the pics for this?

There is an extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be downloaded that will show the photobucket pictures on desktops, I don't think there is a workaround for the mobile browsers though.  Idk what it's called but there are some threads about this in the Pub.  They are probably a page or two back by now. 

• 1 month later...

i am redoing the harness in my Heep, and had a few wires I wanted to pull out, but possibly keep for future accesories. i couldn't find anything online so spent some time and learned a bit. this is from a 2000 xj manual and is correct for my 1999. the 1997 manual had the c200 connector the opposite direction and the wire colors weren't jiving, so be aware this is for a 99+

4d7f672d81321af3857242429bf021ec.jpg5f068c192b4c193601dc62f0214b16d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

I'm not seeing any pictures. Sure wish I could as I'm right in the middle of a conversion myself and intended to use this for a guide. Guess I should have done this before photo bucket got greedy.

the photos now belong to us   they should be visible to all.  

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk