91 Comanche (97+ Swapped) Thinking About Selling It

I've been snooping around on this forum for a couple of months now trying to get ideas for my newest project truck and I'm finally starting the page for it. First a little back round of myself, my dad buy and sells jeep parts for a living so I have always been around jeeps since I have been about 9. The first jeep I built was a 1950 Willys CJ2a when I was 14. Then a couple years later I had my first Comanche pickup that I converted to 4wd and drove during the winter instead of my Camaro. Now a few year I just started on another Comanche pickup that I intend to drive daily, however I'm in college right now so progress will be slow until next summer and some weekends home. I'll try to get you guys up to date so far on what I've done but first some pictures of what I started with.
I believe this is a 1991 Comanche, original long bed, 2wd, 6cyl, 5spd.

It was an original long bed, my dad had chopped this truck up long ago, the floor are still in good shape as is the rest of the truck so I'm going to make it a short bed.

Original 483701 miles the guy used to drive from Scranton to Phil every day as a postal carrier.

More pics to come later.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not actually as bad as it looks, the floors and frame are all very solid. The only reason it was cut in half was because the rear frame took up alot of room around the shop with the bed off, plus it's a long be so no big deal. The bed was in perfect shape but that is long gone now. The truck has probably been sitting in the same spot for 5+ years.

This is the truck that stared it all, it think it was an 89 4cyl 4spd. I later converted it to a 5spd with 4wd, but its was a pretty solid truck besides the rust you see.

This was another Comanche my dad bought to resell, I tried to convince him to give it to me but that didn't work. :fs1:

The truck was hacked because my dad sell parts for YJs, CJs, and TJs not so much Cherokee and Comanche stuff so we cut the truck up for the motor, trans, and transfercase and sold the bed off.

Found a parts truck for 300, a 4cyl 4spd that runs and drives. The floors are shot but the bed is fixable and I need a rear frame section.

Yup it even has black interior which I might not use, I think I'm going 97+ swap for the Interior. Does anybody know what pedals I would have to use for a 5spd 97+ swapped dash.

not trying to kill your build or anything, but why don't you build the black truck up instead of hacking it to build the white truck? especially since the black truck is already running and driving, granted its not a 91 or a 6cyl, but would probably be easier to fix up instead of the white one,

not trying to kill your build or anything, but why don't you build the black truck up instead of hacking it to build the white truck? especially since the black truck is already running and driving, granted its not a 91 or a 6cyl, but would probably be easier to fix up instead of the white one,

:agree:

The black truck is completely shot, all the floors are gone, the rockers are shot as is the rest of the truck. Honestly it was much easier to weld the two together than fixing that black one. The truck is all in one piece now I just haven't gotten all the pictures up, it only took a day or two to weld them together.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the real truck in the shop finally and started cleaning the floors and painting them. Also have 97+ door for it as well as a new header panel. Getting ready to weld the frame back together. I also put the 33s on it just to see what it would look like.

Looking good. How solid were those floor pans? They looked pretty rusty before you treated them. Did you consider cutting them out, or plan on doing later? I have to admit they look much better now.

Looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

The floors aren't that bad, there are a couple of small holes that I will most likely fix later but at that point I wanted to get it primed before I had to go to college. I don't get home that much to work on it while I'm at school so these will most likely be the last pics for a while until break.

The frame is welded together, we put plates on the inside of the frame rails and plug welded them for extra support. We only welded a few spots so that we could roll it to the other side of the shop where the mig is.

Cleaned the engine bay with degreaser when I rolled it outside, looks much better than it did originally.

• 1 month later...

I sold my S-10 which I used to drive in the winter when my Camaro is parked so I picked up a cherokee. The plan is to drive it during the winter and when spring comes around strip it and build the Comanche.

It's lifted 4.5" with a Rubicon Express lift, the motor was rebuilt at some point and the interior is leather.

Other than that no updates on the Comanche, its parked inside right now till I get back from school for break and I'll see what I can get done to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished the fall semester for school so now it's time to get some work done on the Comanche. It's going to be coming back inside for the month so I can get as much finished on it before I have to leave again. For the time being I took the Cherokee out for some flex shots to see how the lift performed that's eventually going to end up in the Comanche.

It didn't do too bad but I think the shock are too short. I'll have to unbolt them on the top to see how much of a difference that makes.