91 Comanche (97+ Swapped) Thinking About Selling It

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely, I'm always looking for people to go wheeling with.

I'm actually headed home this weekend to do some more work on the bed and hopefully be able to drive it down the road for the first time. The windshield from the cherokee that I'm using, still has a valid inspection sticker on it that I'm going to rock for a while. I also got the weather strip for the windshield this past week.

Finally got a chance to work on the Comanche this weekend. Got the tail light on the drivers side tacked into place and mounted. Also patched some holes in the inner fender on the drivers side wheel well, before the quarter panel is on for good. Cleaned it up and painted it while I was there. Here's some pics of the progress.

Tail Light Panel

Quarter Panel Off

Rust Holes

Patched and Painted

• 1 month later...

My dad finally got the windshield installed while I was at school so the next time I get home I might be able to drive this beast. . :MJ 1: .

I also got the Comanche that is going to donate its quarter panel to my truck out of the bushes. It's a shame, the truck was actually in fairly good shape except some kids rolled it on its roof. :fs1:

Yes I know its a long bed, we're planning on shortening the side. It has no rust on it that's the only reason we're going through the trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

I got home this weekend and got some more work done on the Comanche. My dad and I got the passenger side quarter panel on the truck I managed to get some pictures taken while I had it outside. Next time I go home will be for spring break so I should be able to finish up the rest of it and get this thing on the road.

Still need to finish up the rear section under the tail light, and weld up the tail light panel itself but its glued in place at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the whole week off to get some work done on the Comanche. Took the bed off one final time to undercoat the bottom side and make it pretty.  Bolted it back down and started in on some body work on the bed sides.  Also rigged up a rear bumper for the time being until I can afford to buy one from JCR.  The plan is to take it back to school with me on Saturday.  

Undercoated and looking good.

LIttle bit of bondo work.

Rear shot, yes that is a YJ front bumper on the back.

Its a little too short but as long as it keeps me from backing into anything I'm ok with it.

Well first off nice build dude, I was thinking about doing that with my taillights. Secondly damn you. :cry: Looking at your summer post dates I don't think I would be able to finish this swap in a summer which was my plan. This summer..come second week of May. I'm in the same sitution as you actaully, I just bought an Mj and DD my XJ to and from college, the only down side is my xj is my true DD I have no second car. haha well shucks I had hopped to work balls to wall on this and get it done like super quick. 

Nice build though

Oh two thoughts,, What did you did for the gas tank? did you do the Dakota tank? And I forget the other but itll come back to me... hahaha

I started late in June, wanted to start earlier but $#!& happens.  I literally worked every second I had free on the Comanche over the summer to try and get it done for winter, and I just finished it drove it up to school this past weekend.  Granted, I ran new brake lines, built two new rears for the Comanche and did a bunch of other stuff that probably took up a lot of time, but don't underestimate the amount of time it is going to take, especially if the Cherokee is your only vehicle. This swap is a ton of work.

The gas tank I ended up using the 22 gallon Dakota tank, it fits pretty well.  Its a little too close to the drive-shaft for my liking but it hasn't rubbed yet and my gas gauge actually works which is a big plus.

Hope that helps, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I got some more pictures of what the trucks looks like on the road I'll have to post up later they're on my other computer.

I started late in June, wanted to start earlier but $#!& happens.  I literally worked every second I had free on the Comanche over the summer to try and get it done for winter, and I just finished it drove it up to school this past weekend.  Granted, I ran new brake lines, built two new rears for the Comanche and did a bunch of other stuff that probably took up a lot of time, but don't underestimate the amount of time it is going to take, especially if the Cherokee is your only vehicle. This swap is a ton of work.

The gas tank I ended up using the 22 gallon Dakota tank, it fits pretty well.  Its a little too close to the drive-shaft for my liking but it hasn't rubbed yet and my gas gauge actually works which is a big plus.

Hope that helps, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I got some more pictures of what the trucks looks like on the road I'll have to post up later they're on my other computer.

Yeah I don't think its going to happen anytime soon, I'm doing too much crap :fs1:

Ill watching this one till the end! :popcorn:

Lookin Good so far!  I'm doing a 88 to 98' swap and need a gas tank.  Does anyone know what years Dakota would have the correct fuel pump and sender to work with a 98 4.0?  Any insight would be appreciated!!!

Yeah let me find the thread for ya bud..

Edit:

Here ya go: (91-99 22gal)

http://comancheclub.com/topic/30755-dakota-22-gallon-tank-and-fuel-pump/

Lookin good

Thanks, I'm really happy with how the truck came out, I drove it around 60 miles on its maiden voyage up to school in Bloomsburg and had no problems with it.  It feels great to be driving this thing after putting so many hours into it.

The last few things I had to do was strip and primer the new bedside on the drivers side, it had a sealer on it that really doesn't hold up well to weather. 

Sanded and ready for paint.

All primed and ready to rock.

These are some pictures I took before I left for school, this is how the truck will stay for a while.  I will most likely spray some paint over the primer when I get free time.

We,ll what can i say. This has been a great build to follow, truly awesome work.

To pull something from the blackberry bushes that was destine to rot its life away and turn it into a fine piece of machinery is a credit to you and your family. :bowdown:

Will be following with great interest to see this awsome workmanship develop into one fine rig. I tip my hat to you Sir :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the kind words.  It has been a very long process but I have been driving the truck for a month or so now and I love it.  Haven't had too many issues with it just working out a few kinks that came up.  I'm planning on putting some paint on the bed of the truck before winter comes as it will be my daily driver.  

I recently took some time to work on the interior of the truck as that was still very unfinished.  I took the seats out and laid down some insulation to keep the noise down.  I also installed the cherokee carpets for the time being until I get some money to order new comanche rugs.  I also put the rest of the plastic panels in the truck, they are still different colors but I haven't decided whether I want to go with grey (to match the dash) or black.  I still need to hook up my e-brake but I think that's the last thing that needs to be done, then its on to doing the body work and paint.

This is the only picture I took, Ill have to get some more of the interior together later.  I also managed to make it to the Bloomsburg 4x4 Jamboree, I think I saw 4 or 5 comanche's this year.  I'll have to dig up some picture's from the show as well.

I just read this whole thing then checked your bio and noticed where you're from. I'm up 145 in Walnutport, right next to Blue Mountain. Once my manche is done we'll have to get together!

Definitely, I'm going to school in Bloomsburg so I'm not home often but I'm always looking for people to go wheeling, etc with.  

The brand new quarter panel for the bed I got really lucky finding.  My dad buys and sells jeep parts, and it just so happened that a customer showed up with a brand new quarter panel for my truck while I was working on it.  I'm pretty sure its N.O.S.  The passenger side we ended up using a long bed quarter panel which worked much better than expected.  Hope that helps.  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well it absolutely kills me to be posting this right now but $#!& happens.  My girlfriend rear ended someone in the Comanche last week.  :doh:

However nobody was injured which is good and the Comanche sustained minimal damage, the car she hit however was much less fortunate.  The truck went over the rear bumper support of the car and pushed the trunk into the back seat almost.  I'm not sure how as she wasn't going fast, junk Japanese cars I guess. Here are some pictures of the truck, I wish I took some of the car.

It's really not bad at all, I have a brand new header panel and I should be able to fix the fenders.  The fog lights on the front didn't even get broken.  I'm just glad it happened before I painted it.

Your right about it not being painted yet!  I once spent a whole summer on the body of a S-10 & repainted the whole thing.  Then my brother backed into the drivers door.  I was heart broken.  It might be easier to just replace to outer fenders & clip if you can find a nice donor.

• 2 months later...

Well, I haven't really posted an update in a while because I've been busy with another semester of school.  However, winter break is here so it's time to get the comanche fixed and back on the road.  I started taking all the damage pieces off, really only the header panel, lights, and the bumper.  Then I fit the new header panel I had laying around, the new panel is still bare fibergalss so I took it off and started preping it for paint.  I'm also going to try and get some color on the bed for the winter to protect it from all the salt.  More updates will come soon, here's pictures of the progress so far. 

Front end dissasembled, the damage was only cosmetic, none of the structure underneith was damaged.

New header panel sanded and ready for paint and primer.