91 Comanche (97+ Swapped) Thinking About Selling It

I haven't been working on the Comanche lately because I picked up a new project, a 69 Camaro that needs to be restored. However I decided to take my time with that because I can't afford it right now being in school, so I'm starting in on the Comanche again. I finally got the rear frame section welded together and the bed gap looks pretty good. I'm going to start tearing into the Cherokee after this semester finishes up. In the mean time here are some pictures of the Comanche welded together in the barn. Also dug a Comanche rear housing off the pile, the gears that are going in it are 3.73s for now(its the lowest ones we have laying around) until I can afford 4.56s.

Sorry the pictures are kinda crappy I didn't feel like pulling it out of the barn.

If anybody has a decent Short Bed that they don't need near PA please get a hold of me I'm looking one.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some progress done to the Comanche in the last couple of days. My dad got a 4:10 rear in so I pulled the center section out and stuck it into the rear for my Comanche and proceeded to paint everything, just gotta dig up some axles and get some rear brakes. A guy also contacted my dad that had a new driver side bedside for a Comanche pickup that we were able to pickup for 75 bucks so it looks like I'm going to be repairing my rusty bed. The cherokee will be going under the knife as soon as we make some room in the shop. Then progress will really begin, hopefully.

My pretty new 4:10 rear end, the diff cover is similar to the color the truck will be painted.

My new bedside sitting on the truck, got really lucky finding this thing.

Here are some pictures of the 69 Camaro, its in rough shape but nothing that can't be fixed. You can literally buy every part for this car brand new.

The good side.

The not so good side.

We'll the good side sh#@ hot, the bad is something you will deal with as you have with your comanche.

Will be one nice ride when done ( slip a progress pic in once in a while i,m sure no will mind ) :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more done on the Comanche lately, the front axle is painted and going to be receiving its matching 4:10 gears tomorrow. The rear axle is all buttoned up all I need to do is throw the set of drums I have for it on. I started stripping the cherokee today as well, hopefully I will have that pretty much gutted by the end of the week so I can begin reassembly on the Comanche.

Front axle all prettied up.

Got some of the Interior plastic removed and also removed the nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Cherokee into the shop to start the tear down. Got the engine out, dash is out, and also the heater box. I'll most likely work a little more on it tonight and try to finish removing the wiring and other odds and ends so that I can start taking the lift and suspension out tomorrow. I also got my roll pan and tail lights that I will be using, in addition to a taillight bar under the gate. I'll try to get some pics of them later so you can get an idea of the direction I'm going in the rear of this truck. :wrench:

Engine all ready to come out.

Out

Dashboard out

Heater out.

The shop is a mess...

Finished up stripping the cherokee today, got the gas tank and suspension out. All that's left of the shell is the steering box, overhead console and rear wiring harness, at least what I need from it. I'm going to try to start cutting the firewall and brackets out tomorrow night.

All that's left of the cherokee. jamminz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Comanche in the shop, started welding on the firewall and fitting the brackets for the newer dash board. All the holes are now filled in on the firewall and the wiring harness and steering column holes have also been fixed. I just put the dash in for the first test fit.

Took the plate off the firewall which will be replaced by the one from the cherokee for the proper steering column hole.

Cut out and welded in the hole for the wiring harness from the cherokee.

The finished product.

First fitment of the dashboard.

Just a small update, the truck's firewall is currently in primer and awaiting paint. My dads going to spray it sometime tomorrow morning, then Friday I can start putting it back together. :banana:

What the new firewall looks like, freshly sprayed in primer.

We lost power for a day so I wasn't able to post pictures of the painted firewall however I got some today. We also edged the door so that we don't have to do that later. Finished installing the 4:10s into the front axle and got that in along with the lift.

This is actually an original Jeep color, not specific to a Comanche of coarse. I believe its a CJ-5 color from what my Dad tells me, he used to paint all the Jeeps he built back in the day this color.

Looking like a truck again.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated in a while however I've still been working on the Comanche day and night. I'm trying to have it running by the end of August as I have to go back to school on the 27th. I got the dash board installed hopefully for the last time, as well as the clutch and brake master cylinders. The front axle is pretty much complete at this point as well I have just a few things to finish up. I'm going to be ripping into the rear of the truck to put my other 4:10 axle in and finish up the brake system, then its back down to the bottom shop to put the motor, trans, and transfer case in.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics, it's all I had at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while, however I made pretty good progress on the Comanche since. The motor is now installed and the engine bay is pretty much buttoned up at this point. I'm waiting for my dad to rebuild a trans for me then I can finish up the drivetrain and hopefully get this thing running. I'm going to look at a new bed tomorrow.

Engine In.

Doors and Fenders on.

So Much Wiring

It's angry and wants to leave the shop.

Only have a week before I have to leave for school, so I'm going to try to get as far as possible before I go.

• 1 month later...

I finally went home from school to work on the truck. Since I left, my dad put the trans and transfer case in for me and has been slowly working on some of the body work. He got the new driver's side quarter panel on the bed as well.

I finished up the fuel system and bleed the brakes this weekend.

Also got the truck running for the first time yesterday. :thumbsup:

Hopefully next time I got home I can get it outside and get some pictures.

Haven't really been working on the 69 much, been trying to get the manche ready for this winter so I have something to drive. This truck most likely won't see paint till after this winter as well, going to work the bugs out of it first then probably paint it next summer. I've been too busy with school, so I don't get much time to work on it.

• 1 month later...

Went home over Thanksgiving break and got a bunch done on the comanche, no pics though sorry. Got the 4wd linkage squared away, also have a makeshift posi-lock cable for the front axle installed. Most of the drivetrain is buttoned up at this point, put the 31s from the cherokee on there for now so I don't have to cut the fenders. All I have left is replacing the right bedside, and mount the tailights I'm going to use, and the roll pan. Probably won't see paint till next summer so it'll be ugly over the winter. I still have to put the windshield in yet too, next time I got home I'll get some more pics for you guys.

:driving: