1987/2000 Comanche Limited

I have finally found a spare moment to start my build blog. I first want to thank you guys for having such a great site. I am Mark and from a small town in North Carolina. I have always loved Comanches, I first remember the 89' eliminator that my dad had. It was a black auto with the black buckets, console and dash. I bought an 87' Sportruck back in May. I drove about 300 miles round trip to pick this truck up after I found it on craigslist, but I couldn't have found a better platform. This truck has never heard of rust. I made sure to check the floorboards, and they were as they were 24 years ago. Also found the build sheet when checking the floors out. Body was in decent shape minus the right bedside, but could have been alot worse. I am planning on doing a full repaint in Chyrsler's Gunmetal, 97-98, whick is the light blue found on 97 &98' cherokees. I wholesale cars for a living and do my own bodywork, i have been wanting a project for some time know and can't wait till I get to spray this thing. It was a 2 owner, 2.5, 2wd, auto. I wish I took some pictures of it but I couldn't help myself to start tearing it apart. I am doing the 97+ swap. I really fell in love with Project Onyx and the several other 97+ that are on here. Some of the pictures....

First picture of the truck, I couldn't help myself, really regret not taking any more

Shot of the Icons on brand new 255/75/16 Pirelli All Terrains

dash in place

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed a the two green brackets from my donor xj then welded them onto the mj. I think I had to cut two brackets off of the mj first, then I spotwelded the green brackets on for the aluminum steering support.

Then came the time to cut the firewall for the steering column. I just cut a patch out of the donor xj, then drilled several holes in the patch and spot welded it onto the mj. Then came some seam sealer around the edges and...

BLUUUUEEEEEE

Do you know if your rear bumper is factory?

I have one that is identical but mine is chrome and the P.O had no idea.

I'm not sure if it is factory or not. Maybe someone else will chime in cause I've been wondering myself...

Driver side door stricker, real pain to get this looking oem...

Side shot with the 97+ door, finally close to doing some real bodywork...

This is what a mint bed looks like... PO had a bed liner in its whole life, plans are to get a spray in once painted

This is the first bit of bodywork, Only real dent on the truck was the pas. bedside, but it was a good one. The guy before me must have had a problem with this spot. It had a good size dent on the bottom rear around the bodylines right behind the molding, and once I started removing paint I found bondo in the same spot as the dent. But its all taken care of now. Right now all the truck lacks from paint is priming the hood and the header panel. I had a hell of a time finding a good header panel, so I had to end up buying an aftermarket. Not really wanting the plastic one, but I don't have any other choice right now.

I sure like that rust free starter, I am not looking forward to mine rotting away over the years and the constant upkeep. Thanks for the pics of the progress, replies are few and far inbetween sometimes so don't give up.

I really appreciate the no rust after seeing what some of you guys have to go through, I have got the XJ seat brackets in, I have a set of limited leather seats which have the heat too...

here's the passenger side bracket getting cut out

And in with the xj bracket

Got it in, seam sealed, and a dust of silver paint

Do you know if your rear bumper is factory?

I have one that is identical but mine is chrome and the P.O had no idea.

I'm not sure if it is factory or not. Maybe someone else will chime in cause I've been wondering myself...

Yes, That bumper is factory. Got that baby on my own truck (an old picture before I cleaned the bumper up)

Also, :eek: :eek: :eek: That is one clean truck!

I did my seat mounts the same way. It was the easiest way I could make them work correctly. The conversion is looking good.

The rear bumper is not a factory installed unit. The stockers are totally different and have plastic end caps.

This is a bent up stock rear bumper.

Thanks for the compliment, your write up on project onyx was great, probably would have never known about the swap, let alone attempt it without seein that, still jealous on that deal you got on the moabs too haha

Sometimes I wish I would have swapped in the newer model seats, but I really would have missed the tilt forward feature. Looks like you're making some good progress. Keep us updated.

Rymanrph, I think I fell in love with your Comanche when I seen those last pictures, I would really like to have the tilting seats too, but I think I will have to make due for now considering how hard those mechanisms who be to find arund my parts... Thanks for the support guys

Finally almost to the fun stuff, I have been working on the body of the mj for the past week and getting close to paint. Lots of primer and even more blocking.

Dropped the fuel tank, and got the bed off

Bedside after four coats of polyester primer

Closer to paint, but still alot more sanding and final details...

great work, but i really hope you cleaned all that "rust dust/residue" before you welded it in,

it could become more that dust in the future :thumbsup:

can't wait to see more updates comanche.gif

Thanks alot. That was only mud, there was alot of red mud caked under the carpet and when I pressure washed it I couldn't ever get all of it out so it dried looking like rust, but I did get it out before I welded and painted it, again so thankful of a rust free Comanche, t

• 2 weeks later...