V8 in a Comanche?

The guy at my local Tire One had a Comanche short bed with a 350 in it and a TH400 tranny, he said the thing could barely keep the wheels from spinning on dry pavement haha. Good luck with the 5.9! that was my original intention with buying my comanche, so I hope yours turns out good so I can ask alot of questions!

I think the personal trainer at my gym has me set on getting a chevy 350 with a 700r4 tranny. Not sure on carb. or injected yet. I told one of my friends at the auto parts store in town what I was doing he thought I was joking. The other guy thought I sold my current MJ and was shocked I would do so. :rotfl2:

But I am still looking around for what I need/want. I am going to make my second MJ a show Jeep.. Something that looks like a stock jeep on the outside put is pure power on the inside... And my friends think I should go with a 454... I don't think so...

Never been a fan of the 700r4. had one in a mild custom camaro and allways heard....has your trans let go yet?..... My father builds solid th350's and tore into my 700 and was blown away at the borderline failure construction from the factory. Ive heard that the chevy 4LE or what ever the newer version is was much more stout from the get go. Just a thought

You're probably speaking of the 4L60E transmissions which are found in just about everything manufactured by GM after 1982. Then they revised it in 1997, then some stronger variations came out in 2001. They're a pretty stout transmission and can handle some good power. I believe they are the auto trans used in the C6 Corvettes.

I honestly think you would be better off getting a 93-95 ZJ as a donor. I got my 94 ZJ donor for $400 and all it needed was a CPS. These years will be OBD-I and have the 46RH transmission. The 46RH is a very stout unit. It is basically a 727 with an overdrive unit.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a first gen ZJ donor.

I am going to make my second MJ a show Jeep.. Something that looks like a stock jeep on the outside put is pure power on the inside...

That is my plan for a 327 in my short bed 4x2. Plain stock on the outside, pure business inside. In the 1960's at least in Oregon we called them "sleepers." Engine will be stock everything except for a Pure Energy CompCam (lift and duration barely more than stock), Weiand dual plane intake with a spreadbore quadrajet, and Sanderson Shorty headers (that's what Novak sells for their Cherokee/Comanche sbc conversions, but I found a different Sanderson version that's less expensive). Online dyno says will bump the stock 250hp up to 300hp. That combo should even increase gas mileage over stock. Want to do standard trans, and will first try a NV3500, the gm 4.3V6 version of the NV3550. It will be handling the upper limit of its torque rating, but it will be a daily driver. Being a 4x2, no mudding or climbing and don't intend any drag racing! Pulling a light trailer and hauling stuff at times, but that's it.

Still, guys, what about cooling? Fans and a two row version of the stock one row 4.0 radiator? Cooling surface is the issue. It is still less than what SBC's used. I don't want to spend what Novak and AdvanceAdapters want for their conversion radiators if I don't have to. So, you who have 350's or 5.2's or 5.9's in your 'manches and are driving them; whatcha using?

I've never been a big fan of an engine/trans swap from manufacturer X into a vehicle from manufacturer Y, especially when manufacturer Y has a plethora of very nice engines available. Granted, my current 5.9L build is barely staying true to its heritage since Chrysler bought Jeep in '86-'87, my MJ is an '88 and the Mopar Magnum V8 5.9L wasn't used in a production vehicle until 1993. But, I'm doing my best to stay true to the Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar brand (even though many of you will say that Chrysler was the eventual death of Jeep - we can't go back and change history so it is what it is).

While I like staying basically true to the brand also, I "justify" my swap by saying, "well, my Jeep is an 87 and during that time frame (a year earlier), they did use a chevy engine, the 2.8! ;) So, I am staying kinda true! Its a v- chevy, just 8 instead of 6 cylinders! :brows:

While I like staying basically true to the brand also, I "justify" my swap by saying, "well, my Jeep is an 87 and during that time frame (a year earlier), they did use a chevy engine, the 2.8! ;) So, I am staying kinda true! Its a v- chevy, just 8 instead of 6 cylinders! :brows:

haha, I suppose. 1984-1986 are kind of like the bastard years for the XJ/MJ that some of us would like to forget ever happened (at least engine-wise, although the AMC 2.5L gets a pass).

I've never been a big fan of an engine/trans swap from manufacturer X into a vehicle from manufacturer Y, especially when manufacturer Y has a plethora of very nice engines available. Granted, my current 5.9L build is barely staying true to its heritage since Chrysler bought Jeep in '86-'87, my MJ is an '88 and the Mopar Magnum V8 5.9L wasn't used in a production vehicle until 1993. But, I'm doing my best to stay true to the Jeep/Chrysler/Mopar brand (even though many of you will say that Chrysler was the eventual death of Jeep - we can't go back and change history so it is what it is).

Well this being my first engine swap and the most mec. work and the biggest i have ever done. I wanted to do something that was "cheap" and "easy"... easy being relative to dealing with computers and what not... Mostly I think my Uncle, and cousin will be helping me... None of us really have any experience so I plan to take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. I have a few friends, that know exactly is needed, I will ask what I need to do and get some help on things i can't do, like welding.... If I get a 3rd MJ ,I just might for the right price, I would stick with something like you where saying, Jeep, Mopar, Chrysler. By then I might actually know what I am doing :hmm:

Well this being my first engine swap and the most mec. work and the biggest i have ever done. I wanted to do something that was "cheap" and "easy"... easy being relative to dealing with computers and what not... Mostly I think my Uncle, and cousin will be helping me... None of us really have any experience so I plan to take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. I have a few friends, that know exactly is needed, I will ask what I need to do and get some help on things i can't do, like welding.... If I get a 3rd MJ ,I just might for the right price, I would stick with something like you where saying, Jeep, Mopar, Chrysler. By then I might actually know what I am doing :hmm:

Well, if you want it to be as easy as possible, then go for a carbureted Chevy small block with one of their hydraulically controlled transmission. No need to worry about many wires, computers, modules, etc. etc. If you ever run into an issue with fitment/compatibility, you can always turn to Novak adapters for assistance (but it'll cost you $$$$).

Blue88Comanche:

Why not save yourself a whole lot of money, work, frustration, and other problems?

Just stay with the Jeep 6 - no custom mounts to make. Everything fits!!! Lots of stock parts at reasonable prices.

Go over to the JeepStroker site - do some reading there about building a stroker. Lots of options there from 4.5 ltrs to just over 5 ltrs with an offset ground crank.

Change your rear axle ratio later for even more off the line performance.

Bet you would come out money ahead, better performance and the truck would be trouble free.

Look at hornbrod's truck here on this site. Lots of horsepower, good fuel consumption, Truck looks good. Reliable daily driver.

Yes, he has much more than $3000 in the truck, but what the heck, you have to start somewhere.

Blue88Comanche:

Why not save yourself a whole lot of money, work, frustration, and other problems?

Just stay with the Jeep 6 - no custom mounts to make. Everything fits!!! Lots of stock parts at reasonable prices.

Go over to the JeepStroker site - do some reading there about building a stroker. Lots of options there from 4.5 ltrs to just over 5 ltrs with an offset ground crank.

Change your rear axle ratio later for even more off the line performance.

Bet you would come out money ahead, better performance and the truck would be trouble free.

Look at hornbrod's truck here on this site. Lots of horsepower, good fuel consumption, Truck looks good. Reliable daily driver.

Yes, he has much more than $3000 in the truck, but what the heck, you have to start somewhere.

Definitely another solid option. I had actually started to gather the parts to build a stroker for my build, but ultimately decided against it for the sole reason that too many others have done the same thing and I wanted to try something new and innovative. I did a good amount of research to try and determine how many people have dropped the Mopar Magnum engines in XJ/MJ/TJs and was surprised at how infrequently it has been done. What was even more infrequent was tying the two systems together (OBDII ZJ Magnums to 97+ OBDII XJ interior systems). Of the people that have done the swap I'm currently in the midst of - and I'm not just talking about dropping an engine into an XJ/MJ/TJ and getting it to run; I'm talking about completely integrating the existing XJ interior with the Magnum PCM out of a ZJ so that it looks completely stock - none of them were very well documented. So, out of that, I had my goal - complete the swap in its entirety and document my steps along the way.

I am still at the point i don't really know what i want to do with that Jeep. I have thought about Getting a I-6 and stroking it, but I don't have an engine for it.. Thats why i wanted a V8, might as well.

I most likley will get an I-6 to start with (at least then i can move it under its own power) and upgrade to a V8 later (when i have some money).. but still not sure..

Who knows If I do get a I-6 for it maybe later i will stroke it and keep that in it or move it to the other MJ. Just so many things I want to so with the new MJ I can't stick with one for more than a 5min. :nuts:

Ive seen a 5.2 (dodge) and a 5.7 (chevy) in cherokee's. I personally still believe the ultimate swap would be chevys all aluminum 5.3. I think its about 80lbs lighter and will get you 21+ plus freeway MPG and around 300hp.

An AMC-V8 is the best option as they mate all the transmissions the 4.0L will.

I was doing:

AMC-290 / AX15 / AMC-20x4.10s combo.

The 290 is being dropped into my Eagle SX/4 with a T5 behind it.

Now I'm doing:

AMC-343 / AX15 / AM-20x4.10s Combo.

After I finish my "SX/290" I'll be redoing my build thread here with the engine change.

Mike

That's how I justified my carb, that and I didn't want to run any wires. :)

Mine isn't running yet (will be soon) but I have a Chevy 350 mated to an AX15 and NP231 in my Comanche. The only fitment issues were for the headers but I got a set of them from Novak Adapters that fit right in there perfectly.

Mine isn't running yet (will be soon) but I have a Chevy 350 mated to an AX15 and NP231 in my Comanche. The only fitment issues were for the headers but I got a set of them from Novak Adapters that fit right in there perfectly.

Whatcha doin for coolin????

Well this being my first engine swap and the most mec. work and the biggest i have ever done. I wanted to do something that was "cheap" and "easy"...

be prepared. nothing you're contemplating is cheap or easy.

Well this being my first engine swap and the most mec. work and the biggest i have ever done. I wanted to do something that was "cheap" and "easy"...

be prepared. nothing you're contemplating is cheap or easy.

Ya, I know... My Uncles said i can keep it in his garage waiting for parts and funds. I know a few people with welder that can help me fab stuff as needed, and several people that can help with the engine swap. This project for me was a learning project more than anything. so if i mess up and cripple the MJ then at least I have Parts for the DD. I will be asking a lot of questions no matter what engine goes in that MJ.

Nothing worth having is easy.. that's why my current Jeep is a Love Hate kinda deal...

I had pretty much given up on my V8 MJ when I couldn't find a 60" AMC-20 Then this nice SX/4 dropped in my lap so then project "SX/290" was born then some body said the AMC-15 is a D35 rear end and they said it wouldn't hold up . . . So next thing a I know two 60" AM20's crawled out of the wood work then I mentioned if I had a 343 I'd have the while Gen-2 AMC-V8 collection ;)

Well the person had a complete 343 too so project "MJ-343" was born :wrench:

Mike

Right now I have a 3 core radiator in there with two electric fans behind her with a high flow water pump. I plan on front hood vents and a cowl hood (homemade since the aftermarket ones suck) later on, or real soon if she still runs a bit warm. If you build the fan shroud correctly, there shouldn't be too much of an issue with cooling (if I find the Pirate4x4 post again then I'll link it in here about flow properties and all that).

Based on what this links says http://www.4wd.com/jeep-advisors/cooling-system.aspx can too many rows be overkill? It speaks the amount of fins and space between the fins along with flow as the critical balance needed. Can a 3 row cause too little fin surface and air movement over the fins for adequate heat dissipation?